mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Craigslist Kona Kikapu- How'd I do?

Well.... I grew up mountain biking, but with a limited budget over the last few years / living in the city, I've made do with my Surly Cross Check and a couple different track bikes and haven't felt like a mountain bike would be the most practical thing to purchase.

HOWEVER, I found [what I believe to be] a great deal on a Kona Kikapu on Craigslist. I know nothing about this bike or really Konas in general.

I believe it's an 06. He changed the disk brakes to Hayes Stroker Hydraulics, and threw an xtr RD.

I got it for 350.

I THINK I got a good deal...... but tell me all know MTBR forums, because I really have no idea.... how'd I do? Anything I should know about the Kikapu?
    Last edited by brdpkns; 01-16-2012 at 06:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    looks like a score to me!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'd say its a pretty good deal since I'm looking at the same thing but just the frame, rear shock, and xtr derailer for the rings for 200. Was looking to put a 140mm fork on this frame but was informed that it might throw off the geometry. Anyone want to comment on this? Is it doable or wasted effort and money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great deal on the Kik, picked up an 07 deluxe frame for 300 so I'd say you came out pretty well.

I would not suggest going to a 140mm on the frame, its a cross country rig, the tubes are the same size as the heavier duty Dawgs and similar to the old Stinkys but the metal is much MUCH thinner, so treat it like it's fragile.

I wouldn't go more than 120mm on this frame and even thats high.

What I would do is get the best old used 100-120 mm fork possible, I just switched out the old Z3 that my new frame inherited for a used 03 Marzocchi Marathon S & I can honestly say it's perfect. The geo is fast but the bumps are gone. I have 3 2003-2004 Marzocchi's, Super T, Z1 Freeride & this Marathon, they all use the same HSVC valve and they rock! They bob a bit but eat everything.

Kikapu's will last you a long time, just make sure you check out the bearings, especially the ones close to the bottom bracket, once they sieze they can wallow out...although I've never changed any of my 4 Kona frame bearings...I caught the Stinky late, wallowed out now.

I can say that these frames do benefit greatly from a proper valved 2008+ Fox RP2 or 23, the propedal works wonders on these frames. Just make sure you ask kona for the proper shock tune for Rebound & Compression (Fox Propedal shocks have 3-4 tunes for compression & rebound, getting the compression tune wrong kills the shock feel) I'm assuming a Medium or 2 compression would work well with the leverage, but thats me with 165lbs, ymmv.

Nice score, because you, son, got a deal

Although it's a 2004 frame...Bikepedia is your friend...still a great bike.

BikePedia - 2004 Kona Kikapu Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the info. I've looked into it more and am pretty pumped about the price.

Couple issues worth noting:

It didn't come with a front derailliur / shifter. But it still has the triple chainring on front. I took it for a spin on our local trails and had some issues with it jumping to the other front chainrings. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective fix? I'm thinking about stripping two of the front chain rings and doing a 1x8. I know they make those chain-guides (with the pulleys) but have no idea what they're called.

The last owner snapped the rear derailieur off and replaced it with an 8 speed XTR. The rear wheel has a 9 speed cassette and the rear shifter is a 9speed. The bike shifts like crap. Is my best bet to just get a new RD (9 speed)?

Also, I'm considering just going single speed and redoing the entire drivetrain. Can I use the same rear wheel and just strip the cassette / install some kind of converter? (Surly?) All the single speeds I've had were built with a single speed specific hub.

And lastly: How do I know if the suspension is good? There doesn't seem to be any excessive noise. I noticed the front shock topped out a couple times when my front wheel would come off the ground. Anything I should look for?

Thanks for helping a noob, fellas. This bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would spend the money on getting a proper 3x9 setup working.properly. You can always just not shift rather then spend cash on a single speed setup...i mean seriously, just don't shift.

Shimano XT FD-M761 Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA

Looks like this should work up front...might want to post here or over atty konaworld in the tech section to get a for sure.

If i'm not mistaken an 8 speed derailleur could work, since it already shifts like crap you may want to try and adjust it...what can you lose?

Here its a guide, its not scary... YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

mtbr member
    you have an xtr DR? i think if its a long cage it will be able to shift 9 gears. just take it to get adjusted.

you can pick up Shimano slx shifters for like 45 dollars and a slx front DR for like $40 and you would be good to go.

oh get a shimano hg-61 9 speed cassette also. around 30-45 dollars.

you will notice how much the upgrades start costing when you pay so little for your bike HAHA

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    you have an xtr DR? i think if its a long cage it will be able to shift 9 gears. just take it to get adjusted.

you can pick up Shimano slx shifters for like 45 dollars and a slx front DR for like $40 and you would be good to go.

oh get a shimano hg-61 9 speed cassette also. around 30-45 dollars.

you will notice how much the upgrades start costing when you pay so little for your bike HAHA
    Some great advice here. How do I tell if the XTR RD is long cage or short?

I've got a Tiagra FD laying around the house but I'm not sure that it will work because

a) It's meant for a double chainring.

b) It looks like the seat tube is WAY further away from the front chainring than the bike the FD came from. I'm not sure it'll reach.

mtbr member
    im not sure what type of front dr you need for your particular bike. for example: top pull bottom swing, bottom pull top swing.

i also dont know how to tell if its a long, medium, or short cage rear dr LOL sorry!

here is a link for shifters. BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire Shifter Pods 9-Speed

heres a good deal on a front dr: BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Deore XT M773 Front Derailleur Bottom Swing 9-Speed

you might need some new shift cables and housings also.

heres the cassette i am running that i paid $45 for.: BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX HG61 Cassette 9-Speed

you should be good to go after you get those installed. (if your rear DR is the right cage size)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks to me like you need a top swing, top pull front derailleur. It should come with shims, but you probably need 31.8 clamp.

The xtr rear should have a part number on it, and part of that part number will be "gs" or "sgs". I believe gs is medium cage and sgs is long cage. either cage is fine if you plan on running it 1 x 9.
    "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I think it is a 2004 or older frame, my first thought was 2001. In 2005 they switched to a differnt tube set that looked more square. Yours looks all round. Still a good deal at $350 though. But I got a 2005 for $200 2 years ago. All xt components and Mechanical Disk Brake. Had an upgrades rockshox fork on it too. I gave it to my brother inlaw for some work he did around the house. After doing the work myself this year I figure he got the better deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    I think it is a 2004 or older frame, my first thought was 2001. In 2005 they switched to a differnt tube set that looked more square. Yours looks all round. Still a good deal at $350 though. But I got a 2005 for $200 2 years ago. All xt components and Mechanical Disk Brake. Had an upgrades rockshox fork on it too. I gave it to my brother inlaw for some work he did around the house. After doing the work myself this year I figure he got the better deal.
    Nice deal! I will say this setup included upgraded brakes. (Hydro Strokers) They seem to be working great.