mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cracked Kona Ku - equivalent today?

Hi all

Discovered a crack in the headtube of my 98 Kona Ku last week. Thought something like that might happen soon enough, given the frame's age and the tracks I ride. Plus the MX Comp fork's 120mm travel might have upset the front geometry-- I dunno, maybe.

Anyway, I told my insurance company who have asked I seek a quote for a replacement frame. Nice of them eh. So what is the equivalent Kona frame nowadays? Is the Kula frame the same as the Kula Delux? Or given that the Ku was a custom handbuilt frame back then, should I aim for something flasher, like a Primo?

(What I really really want is an explosif though)

Thanks for any help. I'll post a pic of my bike on the relevant thread soon. Joe - I've already emailed you but got an auto reply suggesting you might not answer my questions as you were away from your computer. My frame number is: K09606084
    Last edited by Wellington; 06-19-2005 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the reply (to my gmail) Joe. I thought the Kula Deluxe would be closest too. Still, as all my friends move towards uber expensive and complicated VPP rides, I'm more interested in an explosif type of life. Hope my insurance company agrees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just to conclude: Insurance company gave an indemnity pay out of $200, which I thought was pretty generous considering the bike was 7yrs old and had been through a bit. I'm happy.