mtbr member
    May 2013

Considering a Kona

My local bike shop appears to have some 2013 kona process's (base model) available at a good price, around 2k. I'm considering this or a 2012 Scott genius lt40. The genius has a lot more travel, 180 compared to the process's150. The Scott can be had for around the same price, but I've read some good and bad reviews and have some concerns with the custom rear shock.

Just was curious if anyone had experience with the 2013 kona process that could go over its strengths and limitations. I'm basically looking for something that could handle some lift riding this summer (nothing crazy) and also work as a decent trail bike.

I've built up a Voodoo canzo that has been working as a great trail bike, but don't know how much abuse I should put it through.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I have one. It's awesome, have ridden at whistler bike park a bit and it was great, as well as DH shuttles in pemberton, sunshine coast, ravens in Oregon. It's a bit of a sloth going uphill but who cares it can still do it. The 150mm travel is plenty.

mtbr member
    I have the base process with the DL's suspension. It's an awesome bike. I've changed the brakes and I have a new wheel set coming, but other than that (and some XT cranks my buddy gave me) I haven't really changed much. I've changed the bars and stem, but that was a personal choice.

It's a really really fun bike. Especially when pointed downhill. It really loves the steep and loose stuff. You will suffer on the climbs, at least I do with the steep climbs where I ride. But if you're a strong climber, it won't matter, and it will be worth it.

I bought a coil shock, along with the standard wheelset (which is really beefy) to put on for lift riding. Oh, and I feel that the rear tire is great, but rolls really slow, and can add to the climbing troubles. Again, personal preference.

All in all, I am very satisfied with my purchase. The only other bike I would sell my 2013 process for would be a Carbon 153DL. But even then, I would wait a few years cause this thing is awesome.

EDIT: If you can get it around 2k, especially out the door, DO IT. I paid 3300 (minus a 300 dollar store credit, so ~3k) for mine with the upgraded suspension, but if it's 2k, do it. I personally wanted a compression damping rear shock and an air/travel adjust fork. I also would rather take that then have to deal with springs with the standard coil fork. Again, personal preference.
    2013 Kona Process

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Considering a Kona

Thank you both for the info, I ended up buying a 2012 Scott genius LT 40. I was able to get the Lt for 2100 out the door vs about 2400 for the kona. The kona looks awesome and the reviews are great. Decided on the scott, due to price and the reviews it's gotten in regards to its climbing ability. Saw a process drive buy on the top of a car right after making the purchase, great looking bike. Unfortunately, the shop did not have either the Scott or Kona to test ride. Would have been nice to test one out.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2