Thread: coilers

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

... and if we just ... coilers

Why do the coilers ride lighter than their weight? I am considering a Coiler dee lux or heckler and when I got a chance to ride the coiler it felt Like 28 lbs not 35 lbs. How is this posible? Thanks M.C.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Dun't know! I have been very pleased with how well my '05 Coiler DL pedals.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

stable platform shocks

Quote Originally Posted by M.C.
    Why do the coilers ride lighter than their weight? I am considering a Coiler dee lux or heckler and when I got a chance to ride the coiler it felt Like 28 lbs not 35 lbs. How is this posible? Thanks M.C.
    I think the stable platform shocks have a lot to do with it. I have an '04 Stinky that weighs 41lbs, yet I am amazed at how well it pedals with the Fox pro-pedal rear shock. It feels less than its weight as well. The fact that the suspension is not bobbing would be my guess. My buddy has a 2001 Cove G-Spot that felt heavy (even though it weighs a bit less than my Stinky) because the thing was so damn bouncy. He had his Fox shock rebuilt by Push Technologies and now it has stable platform valving. It's like a new bike, pedals much better! Of course the Heckler has a 5th element shock available as well so they pedal nicely too (I have another buddy with one built up as a light freeride/trail bike with the 5th element coil). I think you can't go wrong with either, both good bikes.

mtbr member
    I suspect that Propedal has a lot to do with it. I've got an 02 Stinky (pretty much the same as a Coiler) without stable platform damping, and it pedals exactly like what it is...a 40lb single pivot boing-boing bike.