mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Coilers with 2 ring chain tensioners?

Guys with your coilers can you post up your chain guide/tensioner setup if you have kept your 2 front rings. please say what brand/model. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I'd just completely get rid of the granny. Theres absolutely no need for it. Running a 36t chainring up front you'll never need more than a 32t in back for climbing.

Otherwise The only ones I'd recommend would be the MRP LRP, Wicked Racing's Dual Guide and E.13 DRS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    I'd just completely get rid of the granny. Theres absolutely no need for it. Running a 36t chainring up front you'll never need more than a 32t in back for climbing.

Otherwise The only ones I'd recommend would be the MRP LRP, Wicked Racing's Dual Guide and E.13 DRS.
    thank you for the recommendations, i wish i could lose the granny gear but i have horrible asthma and i need to have the ability to just take it real slow when i get an asthma attack when i am riding, and the majority of my riding is xc and i find i'm in the granny gear alot especially this early in the season

hmmmm
    not on a coiler but i run the E.13 DRS on my stinky, cuz like you i need that granny gear for getting up the hills. Been a solid guide, easy install solid parts... pricey, but most guides are

solid gold plated
    blackspire stinger is popular and dirt cheap to boot
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

If you think you can
    Sorry, I tried uploading a pic, but my computer isn't working very good I guess. But I've got an 05 Coiler with an E.13 DRS on it. It rocks! A little more expensive than the others, but I've never dropped a chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Another vote for the Blackspire stinger. Very very rarely do I drop the chain, and in the 6 months I've had it, I've maybe dropped a chain maybe twice. Plus they're $25. Can't beat that.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio
    blackspire stinger is popular and dirt cheap to boot

That's what I'm running on my '06 Coiler D. I have several rides with it under my belt and I can say that I regularly forget about it: quiet, reliable and no drops or chainsuck anymore. $23.99 from most online retailers.

hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Another vote for the Blackspire stinger. Very very rarely do I drop the chain, and in the 6 months I've had it, I've maybe dropped a chain maybe twice. Plus they're $25. Can't beat that.

isnt the point of a chainguide to NEVER drop a chain?

but i guess for 25bucks a drop here or there is ok

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalis12
    isnt the point of a chainguide to NEVER drop a chain?

but i guess for 25bucks a drop here or there is ok
    Yes, but when you're looking at a price difference of $125 between a DRS and Stinger, I'll gladly take a dropped chain every few months.

mtbr member
    The Stinger is more of a tensioner than a guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    That's what I'm running on my '06 Coiler D. I have several rides with it under my belt and I can say that I regularly forget about it: quiet, reliable and no drops or chainsuck anymore. $23.99 from most online retailers.
    I am gonna put a stinger on my 05 stinky just wondering how it was to set up if there were any snags along the way?

Thanks Jim

solid gold plated
    you just sandwich the bb stinger between your frame and bb, providing you have the correct tools it shouldnt be too difficult.
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

mtbr member
    I was more worried about alignment and possible issues with the swingarm its pretty tight for space down there.

solid gold plated
    your bottom bracket should have 2 spacers on the drive side to provide correct alignment for your crankset, you should need to just remove one of the spacers and put the stinger in the spacers place.

if your at all worried about doing this procedure, perhaps you might want to go to your lbs and ask them to install it, as there is no point stripping threads or cross threading bb's if you dont know what your doing.

mtbr member
    I know what I am doing, just wondered if anyone ran into any issues. Gonna pick one up. Thanks Jim

solid gold plated
    cool man, good luck.

mtbr member
    You know how it is when a Co. makes a product to fit a whole range of bikes, there's at least one issue with a frame manufacturer somewhere.

Brackish
    I put the Stinger on my Coiler myself, no problems. I have Race Face cranks and BB, just remove one spacer on the drive side and replace it with the Stinger, adjust the angle so the roller isn't touching the swingarm and tighten it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    looks like i'm going to order the stinger and have my lbs install it for me since i don't have the tools or skills to pull the crank. Thanks for all the help everyone

mtbr member
    Got mine (stinger) up in running in no time, even had a day out on the mountain with no issues. Trailride Wed for the next test.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i got my stinger installed and everything was going great until i came to a tree i thought i could clear but i coudln't and i knocked the stinger into the subframe, lost my small chainring up front, luckily i was able to ride out of the woods on the bigger chainring up front, i moved it back into position and retightened the bolts on my crank arms hopefully thats all i needed to do

mtbr member
    I feel for you. I bent the stuff outta mine but I think Blackspire made these products to truly take a beating. It can be bent back many times. Just make sure to check alignment at all times. On my 08 Stinky Deluxe build, it barely has any room for adjustment because the frame is so thick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick44
    I feel for you. I bent the stuff outta mine but I think Blackspire made these products to truly take a beating. It can be bent back many times. Just make sure to check alignment at all times. On my 08 Stinky Deluxe build, it barely has any room for adjustment because the frame is so thick.
    yea it went back no problem i'm just really nervous that my bottom bracket is now loose and i don't know where to start looking if it is or not, i tightened the left crank arm bolt and the bb wasn't making any noise so i think i'm good and i'd rather not bring the bike to the lbs just for that, but maybe i should i don't know

Members who have read this thread: 0