mtbr member

Coiler wrench work question?

Need some advice. I am on the verge of getting an 04 Coiler. I started looking around and comparing and decided I need that bike because of the XC/Freeride capabilities. Found last year's model on clearance for 1150. Only problem is the dealership is 200+ miles away. Personally, I am not great at wrench work, but I am capable of getting better at it. As far as durablility, how much wrench work will I be doing on my Kona riding it in fairly rough, rocky conditions riding about 2-3 times per week? Is it worth the extra work or should I just stick with the Haro Shift R5 similar model with the dealership about 8 miles away? Some advice please! Middle Tennessee Kona dealership wanted!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Any shop can work on it. You only need the Kona dealer if you have a warranty issue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I realize this shig, its usually at a significantly higher cost however. My question is if the Coiler it?

mtbr member
    Another question for all, what is the cheapest price you could pick up a Coiler for in your area. And what is the contact information for the shop, if its around 1000 or so? Might have to make a road trip out of Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry
    I realize this shig, its usually at a significantly higher cost however.
    Except for dealers including free checkups with new bikes there should be no difference in labor cost.
    My question is if the Coiler it?
    "...if the Coiler it?" I do not understand the question.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Is the Coiler worth it, shig? Sorry, trying to sneak in a few posts while I am at work and got careless with the typos.

mtbr member
    Yes the Haro dealership offers lifetime service. I bought a hard tail there and got spoiled, now I don't know if I can live without it. Maybe I could pick up some literature on maintenence and be alright? Suggestions?

Then support the dealer that supports you. Shopping the dealer is as, or more, important than shopping the bike.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Then support the dealer that supports you. Shopping the dealer is as, or more, important than shopping the bike.

Let me get this straight. Your saying base your purchase on the dealer opposed to the bike even though the bike that really suits you the best isn't offered by that dealer? Haro Shift R5 instead of Kona Coiler in this case?

I know nothing about the Haro but yes, sometimes the dealer is more important than the bike. With your concerns about the cost of service and your own ability to service your bike it seems to be the case here.
    mtbtires.com

Still on Training Wheels!
    I've had my 04 coiler for 3 months now and have put it through hell. I ride 2-3 times a week doing all mountain and some freeriding. I haven't been easy on the bike and haven't had to do anything to the bike. I just give it a lube before the ride and a cleaning after.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Thanks drum thats what I wanted to hear. I did a spreadsheet comparision of all the components on the Coiler, Shift R5, and Extreme and the Coiler has much higher quality components. The $200 difference in price seems to be well worth it to me right now, even though its a 2 hour drive to the dealer.

The rear shock(Vanilla R) is probobly the weakest spec on the bike. The rest of the components work very well together dispite the fact taht there no top of the line. It shifts smooth and rides very well. THe first thing you may want to look into replacing is the fork. THe drop off works pretty well at doring drops and jumps, but when it comes to XC it's pretty rough. I just got a RS PIKE and can't wait to slap it on(need thru hub wheel) and see how the bike was ment to ride.

You won't be disapointed with the coiler. Climbs well for a 36lb rig and desends like a champ. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    How rough is the fork for XC riding? My riding consists of a lot of rough, technical XC. Something like 8-10 mile trails with probably around five or so good drops (around 5 feet) with several drops under 3 feet, oh and lots of rocks and roots. How will the Drop Off do in these conditions.

My riding is basicly the same and I have made it work. The fork can handle it, just don't expect a lot of small bump absorbtion. It does have air assist so you should be able to find a sweet spot, as far as drops go, the fork realy shines. I do a little more dropping than XC so I realy prefer a stiffer fork, but with the air assist I can lower the pressure for those XC rides if needed.

Out of the bikes you listed above, the Coiler still has the best part spec and is definitly the bike that will suit your needs with room to grow.

mtbr member
    Yes drum, I agree with you on the components. I compared them and Haro's definately use a lot of very cheap stuff. I can get the Coiler for about 250 more and I think with a season of riding and replacing parts that difference will close substantially. I am about 6'2'' 200 with a 34 inseam. 19'' XL frame or should I get an 18''?

Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    My riding is basicly the same and I have made it work. The fork can handle it, just don't expect a lot of small bump absorbtion. It does have air assist so you should be able to find a sweet spot, as far as drops go, the fork realy shines. I do a little more dropping than XC so I realy prefer a stiffer fork, but with the air assist I can lower the pressure for those XC rides if needed.

Out of the bikes you listed above, the Coiler still has the best part spec and is definitly the bike that will suit your needs with room to grow.

I'm not good on sizing. I'm 5' 10" and ride a small(15) but probably could have done better with a Med(17) but the small feels great for jumping. If you do more XC/All Mountain get the larger size, but if you do more agressive trails and hucking go down a size.