mtbr member

Coiler sizing question

I am trying to decide between an 18'' or 19'' frame for an 05 Coiler. I am about 6'1'' - 6'2'' with 32''-33'' inseam. I am currently riding a Haro V3 Hardtail with a large frame size. I think the coiler sets up a bit higher due to the face that the bottom bracket is about 2'' higher off the ground. The standover on the Haro is about 31.5'' with some higher volume tires lifting it up a bit and it is a good fit. Is standover a better indicator for sizing or should I worry more about top tube/length from seat to handbars? I guess I am sort of confused because Kona offers a large as well as and XL in the Coiler and both standover heights (32.3'' L and 33.1'' XL) are more than the Haro, yet the top tube is about and inch shorter. Please help, I don't want to lose my manhood on the top tube!

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry
    I am trying to decide between an 18'' or 19'' frame for an 05 Coiler. I am about 6'1'' - 6'2'' with 32''-33'' inseam. I am currently riding a Haro V3 Hardtail with a large frame size. I think the coiler sets up a bit higher due to the face that the bottom bracket is about 2'' higher off the ground. The standover on the Haro is about 31.5'' with some higher volume tires lifting it up a bit and it is a good fit. Is standover a better indicator for sizing or should I worry more about top tube/length from seat to handbars? I guess I am sort of confused because Kona offers a large as well as and XL in the Coiler and both standover heights (32.3'' L and 33.1'' XL) are more than the Haro, yet the top tube is about and inch shorter. Please help, I don't want to lose my manhood on the top tube!
    I'm your size and I ride the 19". I suppose you could ride either but I like a long top tube and with the 90mm stem I can still loft the bike fairly easily. You're right about the top tube height, it's up real high. Thats about my only complaint about the bike. Nevertheless I've never had a problem with this in a crash on any other bike and I've had a couple frames that only had an extra 1" or so of clearance. Ride both if you can and see what fits best. BTW I'm using my Coiler as a trailbike and a freeride bike so I might be riding a bigger bike than most, but I like the fit. I wouldn't want to go smaller as I don't like a cramped feel.