Thread: coiler fork

mtbr member
    May 2005

coiler fork

So I went ahead and got the new 05 colier, I got one size down to an 18" and the standover shouldn't be a problem at 6'2"(I recommend the wtb power v saddle for tall riders, it lenghtens the cockpit by over an inch). Anyway I was wondering if any of you out there with the stock marzocchi drop off fork have had any problems with the noise of the fork's spring. Sounds a little like a pogo stick. It's kind of hard to bring it back to the shop which is 1 1/2 hours away(and I diddn't notice it while test riding it). Maybe this is normal, but iv'e never had a fork where you could hear the spring. Any feedback would be cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I recently got a brand new '04 Coiler frame with the stock Drop Off Comp fork and the noise it makes is very annoying. It like, when you ride, you hear this constant thumping sound. Is this normal? Is there anything one can do to make it stop?

mtbr member

Pretty Normal

I got a '04 Stinky with the Drop Off Triple and it is noisy as well. At first it was very disturbing, but the fork has been very reliable otherwise so I guess I just kind of got used to the noise. There have been many posts and comments about this fork and the noise is the #1 complaint. But like I said, no problems otherwise in 1.5 years of use.

mtbr member
    May 2005

nice

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke1972
    I got a '04 Stinky with the Drop Off Triple and it is noisy as well. At first it was very disturbing, but the fork has been very reliable otherwise so I guess I just kind of got used to the noise. There have been many posts and comments about this fork and the noise is the #1 complaint. But like I said, no problems otherwise in 1.5 years of use.
    Good to know it's not a defect. Took the bike out for its first real ride today and tore up the single track, had more fun riding today than Iv'e ever had. I diddn't even notice the fork noise, it's only when playing around on it that I notice, but who has time to listen to the fork when your ripping through rock gardens. I can't believe I wasted the last two years on a sugar 3. This bike f***ing rocks. I hope it holds up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i too have the 2005 coiler and my fork makes the same noise, its kinda annoying but easy to live with. i love the bike though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have an older marzocchi fork and its always had a squoosh squoosh sound to it as it bobs up and down. I've also read similar comments from a number of folk about similar forks too.

I dont think its really a problem - mine has given me solid performance over the last 4 years and always made that noise from day 1. Its just the oil rushing through the dampers thats all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Connundrum1
    i too have the 2005 coiler and my fork makes the same noise, its kinda annoying but easy to live with. i love the bike though.
    I have an 05 Coiler as well. Same noise. All air shocks make that squish squish noise. It doesnt bother me in the least bit. Its one sweet arse bike!!!
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

Still on Training Wheels!
    That sound is from the fluids in the fork moving through the damppening system, perfectly normal. Its when you don't hear the fluids moving is when you should be concerned!
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The sound that my fork is making is not really a swishing sound, it's more like a bouncing sound. It's like you can hear the fork as it absorbs every little bump, kinda like a little thumping noise. Is this normal.

The fork is really plush. In order to get the proper sag, I only had to put in 10 psi. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Contagious Xian

Heavier oil may help

Quote Originally Posted by billy7
    The sound that my fork is making is not really a swishing sound, it's more like a bouncing sound. It's like you can hear the fork as it absorbs every little bump, kinda like a little thumping noise. Is this normal.

The fork is really plush. In order to get the proper sag, I only had to put in 10 psi. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
    Recently did my first Moab trip (oh yeah) and coming down Porcupine Rim trail my '04 Dro-Off comp was pinging and knocking and thudding - thought it was coming apart on me and freaking me out big time.

Took it over to Chili Pepper bikes and my man with the semi-mohawk gave it the full working over - nothing wrong. I weigh about 225 with gear on and he suggested a heavier weight oil. Let them do the work and after riding it at home here in Boise - the oil change did the trick - no more noise and feels perfect. You might give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bombin4X,

Thanks for the tip. Actually, I added 5 more PSI to each fork leg and it stopped the noise.

Contagious Xian

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billy7
    Bombin4X,

Thanks for the tip. Actually, I added 5 more PSI to each fork leg and it stopped the noise.
    You're welcome - a cheaper fix is always good! Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    michael.. howd u decide to get the coiler? Is it good for singletrack as well as freeride?