Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: coiler or dawg?

mtbr member
    May 2005

coiler or dawg?

hey whats up. trying to determine if i want the coiler or the dawg/ dawg matic...
    i like to do all kinds of riding... xc/ soem free ride/trail rideing etc.. what would be a good do it all bike ?

Cannonball!
    From the short description of your riding style, you sound like a prime candidate for the Dawg series. Although, I chose my Coiler-Dee because I'm on the heavy side and notoriously hard on components. I was willing to go with the heavier bike for added reliability. I have never regretted this choice, and this bike has advanced my riding skills substantially. I am now considering experimenting with some downhill racing, which is not something that I would have attempted with the Dawg.

mtbr member

Dawg/Dawg-matic

Also remember (if you're talking about 2005 model bikes) that the Dawgmatic is only a 4" travel bike were the rest of the Dawg line is 5" of rear travel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    yea why is the dawg matic only 4"
    i dont even like the color of the dawg and it costs a ton more...

Still on Training Wheels!
    If you see you ride more XC than Freeride, go with the Dawg. If you see you riding doing more freeriding, or possibly more in the future go with the coiler. After all the bigger the bike the more confidence you will probobly get. I have an 04 Coiler and it's perfect for the do it all rig, I however do more freeride than XC so take it fo what its worth.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    May 2005
    what exactly is the difference in FReeriding and XC?

Freeriding covers a mix of a lot of different riding styles. If you plan on consistently doing drops of 4 feet or more i would get the coiler if you only do 4 foot drops every now and then get the Dawg. I use my Coiler for everything. I do alot of agressive XC, freeriding and some downhill, and haven't met its match. If you forsee yourself getting into more "extreeme" riding the coiler will be more durable.

The bigest difference between the Coiler and the Dawg is "beef". The Dawg is going to be 4-5lbs lighter than the Coiler, but isn't going to hold up to alot of repeated abuse. The coiler weighs around 36-37lbs and will hold up on the harder hits, but is a little harder to climb with do to the extra weight.

Right now, baised off your last response I think the Dawg would be the better choice for you. However if you can foresee a little light freeriding in your future the coiler will be better for you in the long run.

feel free to PM me if you need any help.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    im gonna have to go to a bike shop and compare the two.
    i can see myself doing more freeriding in the future, im probably moving out west next year.... i like to do a variety of things too so its hard to say

The Dawg will limit you ability to ride a lot of different styles, but the Coiler will hold up and be able to perform well with anything thrown at it.

****** Just remember this when buying The Dawg will climb better, but won't be able to do larger drops. The coiler will be able to climb at a slower pace, and still be able to take multiple large drops. ******

I do everthing with my Coiler, climb downhill and Freeride and haven't exceeded any of the bikes limitations.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    do either of these bikes come with lockout features front or rear? i think the main concern is with the coiler in climbing... but some of my friends i ride with around here have the Giant AC and the kona stinky and they go everywhere i go with my xc bike no problem..
    how much of a difference is that 4 pounds even gonna make?

what does the stinky weigh? that would give me a good idea as to how heavy the coiler would be

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Or U could....

try to get one of the 1st generation Coilers , they are 5" rear and will hold up to anything, and will climb a little better than the later 6" Coilers becuz of the shorter chainstays.
    I think I saw some of them at closeout prices at www.wheelworld.com.
    Cheers

BGR / MCM #311
    I went with the coiler for two reasons. Coil shock/fork (HATE air forks and shocks) and the fact that I like to enter novice level downhills once or twice a year....oh...and the fact that I'm 220lbs in gear...wait...that's three reasons....OK...I went with the coiler for three reasons. Oh...and the fact that the coiler is a well balanced, great all around bike...wait...that's four reasons...OK...I went with the coiler for four reasons. Oh....the yellow on the Primo kicks ass...wait...that's five reasons....OK...OK...OK....I went with the coiler for five reasons. Oh...and it's spec'ed out like a hot fudge sundae with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, nuts, sprinkles, AND A CHERRY!!! Wait...that's six reasons....damn it......
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    May 2005

coiler

Just man up and get the coiler, it's more fun.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ohhpe
    do either of these bikes come with lockout features front or rear? i think the main concern is with the coiler in climbing...
    The Coiler does not need lock out for the shock. The Pro Pedal works very well. I have been very pleased with the climbing ability of my '05 Coiler DL, in and out of the saddle. The fork does bob but it is not a big deal. I still ride it like I ride my singlespeed.

The longer (one tenth of one inch) chainstay length of the '05 vs '04 makes no difference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    According to Kona, the Coiler is 34.8lbs, and the Stinky is 37.8. Those seem pretty low. The Coiler is definitely a better climber and all around bike than the Stinky.

PUNKROCKER!
    Go Coiler. You'll definately outgrow the Dawg, where as the Coiler has room to grow.
    TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YA!
    To the wee little BAS$@#DS, I say POGUE MAHONE!

Dirty Monkey

Coiler or Dawg for me?

Hi all, I've got an '04 Dawg, absolutely love it. I was thinking of getting an upgraded bike, actually considered a Titus, they're made about 6 miles from me in AZ, but would love to stay Kona. Opinions, please! I am going to go Primo level this time, but Dawg vs. Coiler? I'm 43, 5'7", 170, probably never push a Coiler to it's potential, but not sure if maybe that's the way? I love trail riding with some rough, but don't do really wild decsents. Stay withe Dawg, or go Coiler? AZ does have some pretty rough stuff, if I do get to the point of riding it. Thanks for the opinions!

Come fry in AZ with me!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Alright well i just test rode a dawg and a coiler... huge differences! This makes it even more difficult. THe coiler has so much more flex its rediculous... its really a lot more bike..
    Also the blue they use for the coiler looks a lot better in real life than in the magazine
    I really like the coiler and the onlything that worries me is not being able to use it for xc. The dawg really is a beefy bike as well, especially since im used to riding my xc hardtail bike now. There really isnt much difference in weight, atleast by picking both of them up. But the coiler rode a lot different with much more flex while the dog was a beefy bike but didnt seem to flex out as much in the rear like the coiler did..... man what to do

Dirty Monkey
    What kind of differences? I have the Dawg, am going to go Primo, Dawg or Coiler. When you say differences, what do you think of the Coiler for trails? If you ever come to AZ, there is some great riding here, let me know you're coming!

BGR / MCM #311
    But the coiler rode a lot different with much more flex while the dog was a beefy bike but didnt seem to flex out as much in the rear like the coiler did(
    Whut??? The Coiler should feel more solid as far as "flex" than the Dawg!! The only thing I can think is that you are mistaking "sag" for "flex". Did the shop put the proper spring preload on both bikes for your weight? The Coiler's rear triangle is much more stout and won't "flex" (talking side to side lateral motion when under turning or technical riding load) near as much as the Dawg.

No way the Coiler flexed more than the Dawg...not possible...nope...no way....nuh uh....pfft...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    Whut??? The Coiler should feel more solid as far as "flex" than the Dawg!! The only thing I can think is that you are mistaking "sag" for "flex". Did the shop put the proper spring preload on both bikes for your weight? The Coiler's rear triangle is much more stout and won't "flex" (talking side to side lateral motion when under turning or technical riding load) near as much as the Dawg.

No way the Coiler flexed more than the Dawg...not possible...nope...no way....nuh uh....pfft...
    ...or plushness. The Coiler's suspension travel is much more noticeable than the Dawg's. Coil springs have a much different feel than air springs.

Setup can make HUGE differences, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Whut??? The Coiler should feel more solid as far as "flex" than the Dawg!!
    Totaly agree. The chainstays and linkage on the Coiler are total beef compaired to that of the dawg. You must be refering to sag and possibly a little bob. The Coiler still seems like it will be the best bike for your needs. Don't worry about XC capabillities, the coiler can handle everything you throw at it!

As far as weight goes, My 04 Coiler with all my upgrades is close to stock weight and it is right around 36-37 pounds. You could easilly shave 1 - 1/12 pounds by going with Stans tubless system. The Stinky I think will weigh in around 42 pounds stock and the Dawg around 32 pounds.

As for the fella in AZ. I think the Dawg would suit you a little better than the Coiler. Seems as if you are an agressive XCer and the Dawg will work great for it and the occasional 3-4 foot drop. If you do drops/jumps more frequintl go for the Coiler, but the Dawg seems righ up your alley.
    Last edited by drum714; 05-31-2005 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yea sorry about the misunderstanding.. i guess i meant sag.. but i refer to it as flex... i just meant when riding aorund in a parking lot the coiler was "bouncier" like even when u sat down it it and sagged down where the dawg didnt do it so much but still seemed like a lot of bike.. so i donno what to go with thus far.. i still like my fair amount of xc style and using my bike to stay in shape for a big day of riding.. both sweet bikes though!

BGR / MCM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    ...or plushness.
    THAT'S the word I was looking for!!!

BGR / MCM #311
    Yea sorry about the misunderstanding.. i guess i meant sag.. but i refer to it as flex... i just meant when riding aorund in a parking lot the coiler was "bouncier" like even when u sat down it it and sagged down where the dawg didnt do it so much but still seemed like a lot of bike.. so i donno what to go with thus far.. i still like my fair amount of xc style and using my bike to stay in shape for a big day of riding.. both sweet bikes though!
    Number one, if the coiler was too bouncy...the propedal wasn't adjusted properly for your weight. Number two, when you sit on any FS bike, the bike should sink (sag) into just short of 1/3 of it's travel...whether it's the Dawg or the Coiler. Dawg should have squatted about 1.6666666 inches while the Coiler would squat 2.0 (not a real big difference, eh??). Number three, the Coiler is actually quite a nimble bike if you keep in mind it's intended use. I find I can climb anything I would climb on my Hardtail or my Rigid. I go a little slower, might be a gear down from the other two bikes, but she doesn't walk all over the hill or "nose up" as you climb, even with the 66RC on the front. So, number 4, as far as staying in shape, ride the Coiler XC and you'll go just as far as the Dawg...and hauling the extra 5 lbs of bike will definitely make a man of you!!!

which ever you get....you'll love it....Kona's kick ass....and that's coming from someone who's owned nothing but "boutique" bikes, for years, until purchasing his Coiler last month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast