mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Which Coiler for AM?

I've been looking at used Coilers for an AM rig,from what I've read there seems to be some differences between the 05 and 06 frames even though they look the same to me

Also how would an 07 fair as an AM bike,is it any heavier/lighter than the earlier ones,is there much of a difference in the Geometry of the 07 compared to 05/06 frames if running a 150mm fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Right.

I believe the 2005/2006 used a less than desirable shock/fork combo AND they lack the option of the D.O.P.E option.

2007 slight improvement on shock/fork, buy hey, I wouldn't ride the bike with the original equipment anyhow.
    2007 is D.O.P.E. ready. This is a brake system developed by/with BRAKE THERAPY, for Kona, or something along those lines.

I cannot speak for the integrity of the frames dated 2005/2006. I can tell you the 2007 are stout. Have a look at the links I've attached below and perform a little research.

Personally, the '07 would be my bet.

KONAWORLD.COM - 2007 BIKES - MOUNTAIN BIKES, ROAD BIKES + MORE

http://www.konaworld.com/downloads/2...NAL_p56-57.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    one more link.......

KLASSICKONA

I do what I want
    The 07 was a much different, dare I say better, beast than its predecessors. I had one I used to AM, which I thought was a phenomenal bike esp when you upgrade the rear end to the DOPE 12mm thru axle.

The 2 major differences that IMO made the 07 better was the DOPE system and the shock i2i moving from 2" stroke to a 2.25" which helped with leverage ratio and bottoming the bike. If you've got a line on an 07 get it, if you dont want it please let me know, I would love to have one again.

Also one other thing, I believe the 07 had a slacker head angle than the older models, the 07 had a 65.8* head angle with a Fox 160mm fork.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

RIP Friendgirl

I ride an "07...

and i wouldn't consider it an AM frame, but for FR or DH it's solid. Yes it's heavy.

It also can take other i to i shocks easily. I'm using a 8.5X2.5 atm & plan on trying a 9.5X3.0.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    If you've got a line on an 07 get it, if you dont want it please let me know, I would love to have one again.
    I'm not in the market to buy one just yet,just doing a bit of research.

Here's two I was looking at,shipping cost might just make it a bit less of a bargain for you though Guy.Ford

Kona Coilair 2007 Full Suspension Bike Mtb For Sale in Balgriffin, Dublin. Buy Bikes

kona mountain bike for sale for sale in Dublin : €595 - DoneDeal.ie

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudster View Post
    one more link.......

KLASSICKONA
    Good link

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ride a 2005, and while someone may consider it heavy by the actual AM standards, I can trash this bike and know it will survive for the next ride. I even have gone DH with it, with very good results.

Buy one, you'll get a -heavy- do it all bike, as long as your legs can pedal it uphill.

And I agree a 2007 would be a better frame. Leverage is lower so you can mount an air shock without too much hassle.