Rider of Bikes

Check out my Explosif build

I just finished building up an '05 Explosif frame. I used mostly extra parts I already had, so it's not a dream bike, but it turned out pretty good. This is more or less a cross country trail bike to compliment my Stinky DeeLux.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="5"]dirtyharrys.net[/SIZE]
    http://dirtyharrys.net

I post too much.
    Looks almost too nice to ride.

i heart singletrack

Nice...

... that's a good compliment to a stinky. Here's my Explosif in a former state of build. I've taken the 'niner front end off (shown in the picture) and put the 85mm Black Super (w/26" wheel) back on. While the 'niner front wheel handled really well, the 20 screws and two plates in my right arm don't really like ridin' rigid much anymore.

Happy trails,
    MG

the catalan connection

We could make an Explosif thread here...

This is my 03 Explosif.
    Bought the frame and built it as I wanted. For those who think steel bikes canīt be light...this one is around 10,5 kg. I could have gone with aluminium but I love how steel rides. The geometry is amazingly fast, especially downhill.
    Fork will be replaced as soon I have the cash, this Mars flex a lot!
    Last upgrade has been the XT cranks. Wondering how the external BB looks next to the rather small diameter of a steel BB shell ? Hereīs a pic.
    This one is the last disc ready before the adjustable dropouts. The disc mount could have been solved better, donīt you think?

Cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Rider of Bikes
    Thanks for the pics, especially the one of the bottom bracket. I'm really envious of your disc ready tab. I was riding this weekend when my QR caught a rock. The adjustable dropout on that side slid out of position, and jammed the tire up against the chainstay. Aside from a few scratches where the dropout slid, no major damage. So, I have to say that I'm not crazy about the dropouts. Other than that, the bike is sweet. I'm loving the steel!

Harrumph
    +1 for a Explosif sticky. Mine is my XC bike until I have the dolla's for something custom and Ti, at which point the Explosif will be a SS. Right now it is set up with a Marathon SL, Dues cranks, X9 triggers R. Derail., a flat salsa bar, Paul Love Levers, IRC Mibro's, and some other stuff. In the near future it will see some disk wheels, I'm still deciding on XTR or DT center lock, or dt/hadley/king 6 bolt. I've got some XTR calipers and XT levers hangin' out for a while now waiting for the wheels.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

I lean like a cholo!

Easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeboyjeff
    Thanks for the pics, especially the one of the bottom bracket. I'm really envious of your disc ready tab. I was riding this weekend when my QR caught a rock. The adjustable dropout on that side slid out of position, and jammed the tire up against the chainstay. Aside from a few scratches where the dropout slid, no major damage. So, I have to say that I'm not crazy about the dropouts. Other than that, the bike is sweet. I'm loving the steel!
    Easy fix. First, get rid of the cheasy bolts that the drop out comes with. Second, get some hardened steel cap bolts and washers. Third, tighten the pee out of them. They won't move anymore.
    Sweet looking bike, I enjoy the hell out of my explosif. I'll post pics when I get the chance.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

the catalan connection

I didnīt like the adjustable dropouts

I was lucky my lbs managed to get a 03 "naked" from the Kona distributor. For me the explosif has allways been xc oriented, and I was happy to see they went back to steel after some aluminium years,and even happier when they built it disc ready, but the adjustable dropouts turned it more a polivalent type of bike, which is nice, but I think people looking for a simple and clean xc steel frameset will look somewhere else.
    Bikerboyjeff, if youīre planing to fit the outboard bearing setup, donīt be afraid to ask your lbs to face the bb shell . Steel frames can be faced too! I asked them to do it as I found the shell not perfectly parallel cutted, and that can give uneven load to the bearings and premature wear.
    I donīt know if G-reg got his faced too for the Deus, he might coment on that.BTW, if I was to pick between XTRīs and DT I would go XTR. Mines are butter, they spin soooo smooth. Canīt coment on DTīs performance, but I have a friend that sent them already twice to fix a recurrent play on the front one. And the XTRs are cup and cone, the best system IMO.
    cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Harrumph
    I used to work at a Kona dealer, and most seems most Konas could use some facing on the BB and the HS. I like my Dues cranks, I've had problems with the bolt loosening and have warranted a set. But the problems were really with the first run of the cranks. If installed correctly they are great, especially at nearly 1/2 the price of XTR. To get back to the Explosif, this is my first steel bike since my 96 Novara Ponderosa. I've been racing on a Klein Attitude since, read thatstupid stiff-stupid light. I've been liking the more forgiving ride of the Explosif, but can noticibly feel the rear end flex and squirm when sprinting. I don't know if the tubeset is to blame or the drop-outs, or just being used to fat tubed Al. I thought this would really piss me off but I hardly notice once out on the trail. I'm looking forward to a few 24hr and 100mi races and we'll see if I feel less punished afterwards.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

i heart singletrack

another former klein rider chimes in...

having just started riding konas after racing klein bicycles for the past four seasons, i completely understand about the difference in feel between a klein and the explosif. it's like night and day, stiffness-wise.

that said, while i notice the slight whippiness of the explosif, that's what i expect (and love) in a good steel frame. that's part of the reason it's so much more forgiving in bumps than the klein, and that's by design. you just have to get into the groove of the big steel spring that you're riding!! :-}

cheers,
    mg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Here's mine with pristine paint (photo taken right after build). After 3 months of riding, the paint job is scratched and chipping. While I am not stressed about this, I am disappointed in how easily the paint chips on this frame. No problems with the sliding dropouts yet! I love the handling of this bike!

Changes I have made since this photo:

- trimmed steerer tube down and got rid of some spacers

- new Time ATAC pedals

Possible future changes could be disc brakes and a new wheelset.

the catalan connection

Nice one Vuggy

Built for speed ! Thatīs how I like them.Whatīs the weight?
    Seems the 85 mm travel is the right choice for the Explosif. Iīll look if that blue Black itīs still for clearance sale on that shop....
    Yours looks no bigger than a 18. Havenīt you gone a bit small ? (judging from the seatpost and stem length, it seems so)
    Yes, I was badly surprised too of how easily the paint rubbed off from the housing and mud from the tires rub. So thin paint...maybe to keep it under the 2000gms phsycological bareer ?

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, it's an 18". I am 5'11" and I initially tried to order a 19" but they were all gone! So an 18" it was and I am not disappointed in the fit. I am probably at the height limit for the frame but it works for me and I love this bike! Handles great and I only notice the rear-end flexing under hard sprints but I don't care! It is not enough to affect my riding.

I like how the steel frame "talks". It feels very lively compared to my former carbon fiber ride, which had a dull, dead feel. I'm hoping for the opportunity next year to try a 29" SS version of this tubeset.

Rider of Bikes
    Oh my, I think I've become one of them.

When I built the Explosif up, I left a sigle 32T ring in the front, and an 11-32 cassette. I was losing my chain off the front ring once or twice a ride, and I was getting sick of it. Last night, as a solution to the problem, I decided to take off the cassette, and try it as a single speed. Well this morning was my first trail ride with 32-18 gearing. I have to admit...I liked it...alot!

So, while I'll never, ever stop hucking the Stinky (with the ability to shift gears), the single speed Explosif is a really sweet alternative. I feel like I've graduated into an exclusive club or something.

mtbr member
    I can add to the explosif fan club, Haven't touched my Surly or litespeed since I got it! By the way, nice looking rides!
    • File Type: jpg ex.jpg (150.8 KB, 558 views)

i heart singletrack

Welcome to the club...

Quote Originally Posted by bikeboyjeff
    Oh my, I think I've become one of them.

So, while I'll never, ever stop hucking the Stinky (with the ability to shift gears), the single speed Explosif is a really sweet alternative. I feel like I've graduated into an exclusive club or something.
    Amen brother. That's exactly how I feel.

Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    here's me bike

Holy Chromoly
    mmmh ...explosif

finally i managed to throw my pic's up into flickr...

here you go

18"

[click for big]

19"

[click for big]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I see Kona only sells the frame. Is this the same frame as the Blast, Cinder Cone & Caldera?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    I see Kona only sells the frame. Is this the same frame as the Blast, Cinder Cone & Caldera?
    wrong answer on all...I think Kona used to sell Exp complete, then for several years (the full susp years) they sold frame only. I believe they have an 06 complete Exp, but has those gear things on it. The Unit is their complete ss, but has v's, and different steel, still Dedaccai though.

I think the bikes you mentioned are all beer can tubing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fatheadfred
    wrong answer on all....
    At least i'm consistent.