Vitamin Bike Added

Can I turn my 4" x 4" Kona Dawg Matic into a 5" x 5"?

Looking at adding a Fox RL 130mm shock to replace the Marzocchi EXR comp 100mm fork and a Fox triad 120mm to replace the rear 100mm fox float on my 2004 Kona Dawg Matic. I can see on the bottom rear shock pivot joint there is an additional bolt hole further back then the one the shock is currently bolted to, I'm wondering if this is the hole I should use if I add the extra inch of travel? Has anyone tried adding longer travel to the older Dawg frames? I like the current ride but want to make it even more AM capable. Thanks for the advice!
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

130mm Marzo on my 03 Dawg,added a coil shock with the same travel as stock,Kona's usually don't take a longer travel shock without the frame and rocker hitting.
    Just go longer on the fork,but you will be in violation of warranty,who cares though,bike will be more fun.

Vitamin Bike Added
    What's the coil shock you added? Is that only a 4 inch travel shock? I'm not too worried about warranties, my bike is an 04 bought second hand so there won't be any warentee redemption from me
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    that pic is from 2004,so a Fox Vanilla RC was about as good as you could do...It was a 6.5"x1.5" travel shock that gave 4" at the wheel. Bike was one size too small for me but that made it monster fun to "BMX" around on. Ended up selling it when I couldn't get a long enough seatpost for full saddle height.

Recently bought a leftover 2010 Dawg cheap,swapped on a 150mm travel Sektor U-Turn and a short stem,but this one fits me proper,having lots of fun with it but haven't felt the need to swap on a coil shock just yet.