mtbr member
    May 2004

Back to back 29/650b

Back to back 650 /29er
    I have just been to my LBS and rode the Kona Explosive 650 and the Trek Stache 8
    Before I start .....I'm in turmoil because the 29 rides great its comfy and in 19" just right, the 17"was cramped, I'm 5.11
    The ride is smooth the bike is well spec'd and true to Trek well made and pretty , however the ride is some what hard, but I do ride a EX8 Trek .
    Jump on the Kona
    First and foremost , I'm a stocky built fella and I was concerned about a big guy like me on the narrow Steele tubes that you see in the photos.
    All I can say is when you see it, it looks amazing , it's actually a cool bike and a tad retro.
    Again well spec'd the ride is BOB ON sweet as, the Steele so much better over the same route I rode ten mins earlier, it's nimble quick and a SMILE appears on your face and the shop owner new right away my thoughts.
    And so......I have saved the Kona to one side for a few days while I do some research on here

mtbr member
    It is a cool looking bike... Dont forget about the steel 29er offerings they have, if you enjoy the size of the wheels and the ride of the steel. Honzo may be exactly what you are looking for. Or the Explosif may be the one for you.

Either way, good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I wouldn't worry about the strength of a steel kona frame. They have been in the mtb game making steel hardtails for 25 years. I think the Explosif looks like a tons of fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Soma B side. I'm kinda afraid the build will be too expensive, not to mention you cant get my frame size fright now (16.5). I'm on a Giant Talon 15.5 and generally like the bike. I would like something more playful. I'm in South Placer Co., anyone know where I can ride an explosif?

mtbr member
    Bubbleblower,
    that's a cool showdown, thanks! I like them both a lot and had a ride on the honzo. Liked it a lot. I am so used to 26 wheels, the 29ers feel very +++interesting but not as stable when things get gnarly. Stache certainly a very good bike, really great (superfly also) but I'm just curious now where you went with your steel 650b Smile? Is the new 650b Explosif an unknown legend?

mtbr member
    that steel frame will still be pumpin long after that aluminum has been turned into beer cans.