mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Anyone ride a Medium Taro or Honzo at 6' tall?

I test rode a 2013 leftover medium i can get a great deal on. i'm 5'11.5", or 6' with shoes. It was a little tight, but not bad with the 60mm stem. I know the idea behind these is to run a short stem. the medium has an 18" seat post, so there was definitely a bunch of post exposed. It has a 24" eff. top tube. The spacers were all under the stem with a riser bar, and there was definitely no room to lower the cockpit or it woulda looked like an xc bike. The size large seattube length at around 19" seems better, but at 25" top tube, it sure makes it longer.....the whole bike wheelbase. I want to be able to flick it around still.........can't decide if I should pull the trigger or not.....no large to demo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Somewhere in the Honzo build thread there are riders 6'-6'1" stating they are riding the medium. FWIW, I am 5'9" and riding a small (50mm stem/750mm bars) like most of the Honzo riders my height. It is a little cramped but I tried the medium and it felt too long in both the TT and WB for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Don't do it. These bikes are designed around a long TT and short stem. Going the opposite, XC route is not going to do the geo any favors.

I was in a similar situation. I was looking for a Honzo. I'm 6'2" with long arms. Looking at the top tube numbers lead me to believe a L was for sure the way to go. I came across a screaming deal for a barely used 2014 Honzo and snapped it up. Only problem was it's a XL. Got the bike and my fears were allayed. Its fits me great, I couldn't imagine going smaller now. Even with the stock stem I've loved the way it rides. It shreds, love to hop off terrain features or steamroll them, however I feel like riding.

The point it, don't read too much into the numbers only. Just wait, another deal will be along.

mtbr member
    ^ And I'm on an XL with 50mm at 6'4". Love the bike, and I wouldn't want it any smaller. Came to realization that my sweet spot for ETT is now between 25.5" and 26" with reach over 18", and stems no bigger than 50mm. I've spent years riding frames too small for me with even shorter stems lol. My previous bike was a 19.5" TransAM 26er, 24.25" ETT, ran a 70mm stem and I thought it was the bee's knees until I tried the Honzo and never looked back. And for this season, I'm itching to try an even shorter stem, 40mm is on order as well.

mtbr member
    Don't do it. You'll regret it. You need a large. I'm 5'10 and was on a medium honzo with 50mm stem and it fit, but now that I'm on a large Kona Process with 40mm stem I feel the honzo was too small.

mtbr member
    Yup. I've come to the conclusion that I would rather be on a wee bit big frame than on a frame wee bit small with a longer XC-ish stem. Had the pleasure of owning both types.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the replies everyone.....I might just have to order a Large....with a 50 mm stem. Why does the 2014 Taro have a 130mm Sektor, not a 120mm from 2103, and why the change from a 20mm through axle to a 15mm through axle? I like the change though and can anyone comment on the stock shimano brakes on the 2014 Taro? ....also, are the Maxxis tires on the 2014 Taro still a wire bead? ...Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    The 10mm is really negligible in travel. As for the 15QR vs 20mm Maxle, for 2013 and beyond, SRAM has dropped the 20mm axle from all forks other than the Boxxer and Lyrik. Everything else now is 15QR only.