solid gold plated

anyone got any 04 coiler rocker plates? (or similar)

fairly simple, wondering if anyone has any spare rockers laying around i could nab off them, or anything similer from an O.B. bike (coiler older stinkys etc) that offer a 2.5:1 leverage ratio.

not exactly holding my breath but thought id give it a go hehe.
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    You can get NOS stuff from Kona through their dealer network if you don't mind dropping a little coin. I looked into the same thing a few months back so I could get my '06 coiler down to 5".
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

solid gold plated
    define a little coin hehe.

im looking to lower my leverage ration and maybe use a 57mm stroke shock, and hopefully acheiving roughly the same travel.

cheers for the idea tho, i may look into it.
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I was quoted around $100 maybe. Curious what year/model you're working with because I considered the 2.25" stroke with the shorter plates also.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

solid gold plated
    im on an 05 coiler, much the same design as your 06 (well tbh, exactly the same hehe)

wanted to try this as i want to upgrade my shock, most come in funny sizes with a 57mm stroke which would give 171mm of travel which is too much, plus the lower leverage ratio should result in being able to use a lower spring rate/psi and hopefully lead to a better ride.

checked the kona dealers for the uk, might have to do some ringing around, lots of numbers too call. i was wondering tho, were the plates easily available, or did they sound like there were hard to get hold of?

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Chain Reaction has a whole bunch of plates on their site, or at least they used to. You will probably still want to talk to someone at Kona to make sure you get the correct plate. If you're OE plates are straight like the ones on my '06, it will be easier to find a shorter set that will bolt right up. Alot of the plates have a bend or bends in them that make swapping quite a bit harder and expensive due to shock hardware and possible seatstay yoke size differences. And depending on your frame size, you might run into clearance issues with the longer stroke shock. I was really close on a 19" frame, but seat tube angle will play into it as well. Hope some of this helps.

solid gold plated
    im on a 19" also, have you already put a 57mm stroke shock on your coiler, or the plates?

remember the plates being on CRC as well, but alas all have gone walkies.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Tried the 2.25" with the 6" plates and the cross brace was really, really close to the seat tube. The 5" plates won't have the cross brace but that will probably be a moot point as the plates are going to be shorter. Even if you did have to stick with a 2" stroke shock, 5" of travel at the lower leverage ratio will probably perform better than 6" at 3:1 especially if you are looking at air shocks.
    On a side note, I'm pretty sure PUSH/ TF Tuned will do stroke reductions on RP23s but not sure about the DHX Air.

solid gold plated
    can you whack some piccys up of the 2.25 shock full compressed at various points, tyre to seat tube, brace to seat tube, swing arm to front mech yadda yadda, as well as a few more standard ones?

cheers.

on a side note, ive always been put off rp23's due to the high leverage ratio on the coiler, but maybe with a 2.5 ratio the rp23 might perfom a hell of alot better (tho tbh my first choice is a roco tstr coil or air)

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    The 2.25" shock was a buddies that I was using for research purposes, so I can't easily get pics. A somewhat easy way to check clearance would be to get a piece of small diameter PVC or conduit and drill a couple shock bolt holes through it 5.625" apart to simulate a 7.875" shock at full compression.
    Just recently I threw a RP2 from an '08 Dawg; 7.875 x 2; on the Coiler and was pretty surprised at the performance once I got the pressure dialled. I set it up with a bit more sag than recommended with the propedal off which gave me a pretty good all around ride when the PP was kicked on. I'd imagine the RP23 would be even better with the extra adjustment. I didn't pay any attention to what the "factory compression" tune was on the RP2 I used, but I'm sure that there would be some difference in ride quality with shocks at either end of the tune range.

Members who have read this thread: 0