mtbr member

Any 2011 Steely owners out there? Which f/d?

Just picked up one new from an LBS the other day. I'm wondering what front derailleur you bike came with. Kona states Deore front and rear on the site, but mine came with Alivio on front. I'm waiting on a response from Joe@kona to see if there were any production changes etc.

LBS said that they got a hold of Kona and said , "they indicate it may have been an error in the spec list. It's not uncommon for these errors to occur on occasion, or for there to be a "running change" partway through a model year."

They've offered to upgrade me to Deore for the price diff in components (i.e. no labour cost) which is a nice offer, but I'm curious what other owners' bikes came with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just take it off and install a guide. Steely begs for 1x9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    Just take it off and install a guide. Steely begs for 1x9.
    Actually that's not a bad idea.

I haven't actually used anything other than the middle chain ring anyhow so a 32 would probably do the job just fine (or maybe a bit bigger).
    Last edited by dubbreak; 05-31-2012 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    So Kona got back to me. My bike was originally destined for the UK. Different spec f/d, black cranks instead of white and the brakes would have been "reversed" (i.e. right hand is front brake). The LBS changed the brakes before I ever got my hands on it.

So different markets slightly different specs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    who cares? It's a F/D, not a big deal. I have a 2011, and have no clue what F/D it came with, all I know is it works. Hopefully yours does too.

I would worry more about the crap pedals on that thing than any other part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman View Post
    who cares? It's a F/D, not a big deal. I have a 2011, and have no clue what F/D it came with, all I know is it works. Hopefully yours does too.

I would worry more about the crap pedals on that thing than any other part.
    Yeah I replaced the pedals already with some Wellgo b132s. Hopefully I'll get out today to try them out. Definitely better than the plastic garbage it came with.