mtbr member
    Feb 2005

another kula (primo) question!

saw in the catalogue that the primo has a 69 degree head angle. this seems pretty slack for a notoriously responsive race bike and single tracker... is it true? wanted to buy a lightweight hardtail to complement the 5spot i have, but would want a steeper head angle. have had two kula's in the past and loved the handling characteristics of the 71 degree HA.

have they really changed it, or did they just add the primo geometry to the rest of the hardtails in the catalogue so they didn't have to give it it's own table...and is it designed around 80 or 100 mm forks?

any info appreciated...

yours, pedantically!
    rexamillion

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    just noticed jchembel posted much the same question below, and no-one gave an answer.
    come on, someone help us out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

having a conversation with myself...

ok so now i've been a better behaved forum poster and checked back through the posts and found a long post about unit geometry that has left me more confused than ever.

i want a bike that handles like my 2000 kula, with an 80mm fork. i am thinking of a 2005 with an 80mm fork. i just and to know will they handle the same!!??

all the talking in the other post didn't really get to the bottom of it. relative to the seatstays (for example) are kona welding on the headtube at a slacker angle OR NOT!!??

and yes i know all that matters is how it rides, but here in the UK there's nowhere i can test one and i don't want to shell out £600 pound on a frame than approaches singletrack with the alacrity of a chopper...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My '05 Unit feels choppered when I have the 100mm fork locked out. Squished into the sag, it feels great. My '04 Kula Dlx does not feel choppered in the same situation.
    Side by side looking at them there is a noticeable diffy in the HT angles.
    I'd run an 80mm fork or 25% sag on a 100mm on an '05 Kona.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rexamillion
    ok so now i've been a better behaved forum poster and checked back through the posts and found a long post about unit geometry that has left me more confused than ever.

i want a bike that handles like my 2000 kula, with an 80mm fork. i am thinking of a 2005 with an 80mm fork. i just and to know will they handle the same!!??

all the talking in the other post didn't really get to the bottom of it. relative to the seatstays (for example) are kona welding on the headtube at a slacker angle OR NOT!!??

and yes i know all that matters is how it rides, but here in the UK there's nowhere i can test one and i don't want to shell out £600 pound on a frame than approaches singletrack with the alacrity of a chopper...
    According to Kona, the kula in not build for a 80 mm any more.
    the geometry is adjusted to work with 100mm.
    I have hoped that someone would post a reply, but no luck.
    oh well….

UK Biker

Kula Geometry

In the Kona catalogue it groups the geometries for all the XC hardtails (Kula, Caldera, Cindercone etc) into one set of figures. Now based upon all those bikes being stated as 69 degree head tube and specced with 100mm travel forks as standard fitting an 80mm fork should steepen the head angle by a degree (maybe a tiny bit more) so will work out about 70 degrees.

Fluff

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    cheers, fixey, jchem, and fluff for getting back to me.
    rex

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Primo measurements

I recently measured my 2004 Primo with a 100mm fork and found a head angle of ~67.5 degrees. Although Kona is telling us that 04 is designed around a 100mm fork I get the feeling that they were in fact designed and measured with an 80mm fork. With an 80mm fork those published specs would then be right.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I have a 2003 Primo, run it with a RS World Cup and it feels perfect. I was thinking about a King frameset and had the same questions about HA. Of course, the BB seems a bit low on that frame anyway...