Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!

There are several 2015 and 2016 Honzo owners floating around on this forum that have made the jump to 27.5+ wheels/tires and interest definitely seems to be growing! With that, and the 2017 Honzo Plus around the corner, I felt it was appropriate to start a separate thread!

I for one made the switch to 27.5+ a couple weeks ago and put my 29er wheelset up for sale after my very first ride! It's likely not for everyone, but for me, the 2015 Honzo with the 27.5+ tires are a match made in heaven!

I'll kick it off with my build:

2015 frame - size small
    Rockshox Pike 140mm (46mm offset)
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    Shimano Zee Crankset (will replace with XT soon)
    Shimano XT m8000 11 speed drivetrain
    Absolute Black 32t Oval ring
    Azonic stem
    Enve DH bars cut to 780mm
    9point8 Fall line Dropper (125mm x 375mm)

And of course, the main event... the wheels:
    Onyx MTB hubs laced to Spank Oozy 395+ rims
    Nobby Nic 2.8 Pacestar rear and 2.8 Trailstar front

I'm in love.

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_1513.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sick build. I want one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've been contemplating it for a while. Can't wait to see more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    And of course, the main event... the wheels:
    Onyx MTB hubs laced to Spank Oozy 395+ rims
    Nobby Nic 2.8 Pacestar rear and 2.8 Trailstar front
    We need clearance pics when you get a chance, please. The Honzo looks sick btw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Clearance photos

For some reason the clearance just looks way tighter in the photos than in person... I had to take a picture of each side separately, hopefully this give you all an idea. It measures to about 2-3mm of clearance on each side with a 2.8 Nobby Nic mounted on a Spank Oozy 395 (i35). I know that this tire is quite a bit wider than the Trail Blazer 2.8.

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_1582.jpg27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_1583.jpg

I haven't had any issues with rubbing. I do live in Northern Utah where we do not ride in the mud, so mud clearance isn't a concern to me, but if you are riding in the mud, this setup might be just a little bit tight - though I am sure it will still work!

I really hope hootbmx chimes in with some updated shots of his build, he was a big inspiration in me going the plus tire route. I know that he did some slight frame modification (not recommended) and he is now successffuly running 3.0 tires in the rear. Honestly though, I think 2.8 tires on i35 rims is the perfect compromise between increased grip and removing some trail chatter while still being nimble. This setup feels more nimble to me than it did as a 29er!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I also forgot to mention BB height.

With a 140mm Pike and my plus setup, the static BB height is right around 12" give or take a millimeter or 2. So it's pretty much the same as the stock Honzo. Of course, when the 140mm fork bottoms out, it will be lower than the 120mm fork bottoming out. Also, running 15 psi pressure means your tires will have a bit of a bottom out as well, I am sure they don't squish more than 3/4 of an inch, probably less. Thus far, no issues with bottoming out, though I haven't ridden Moab with it or anything like that, mostly singletrack with various rocky sections peppered in.

I was already running 170 cranks with my 29ers and was already considering 165's. I am 5'7 with a short inseam and so I think my knees would benefit from the 165's regardless of pedal clearance

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey SB666, great to see your Fatzo built up...looks awesome! Yep, I'm running the ground control 3.0 on scraper rims on my 2015. However to do this, I had to spread that yoke out a bit to make a little clearance.

It was pretty easy actually...I went to the hardware store and got a large bolt and nut that would fit between the yoke, threaded the nut onto the bolt until it was flush with the end of the bolt. I then put the bolt between the yoke, added some hard plastic pieces (or thin wood would work) between the bolt and the frame to keep from gouging/scratching the yoke, put the axle in the dropouts (to prevent the back from getting misaligned), and used a couple of wrenches to start unthreading the nut from the bolt...did this a little bit at a time until I had just enough clearance. I did this last summer and been riding the Honzo hard since with no problems.

However, I DO NOT recommend anyone doing this because I would hate for it to turn out different for you than it did for me and have your frame ruined! In fact, when I did this to mine, there wasn't other options other than the Trailblazer or Fat B Nimble that would work on the Honzo with a 45mm rim...now with other choices like the Nobby Nic and Rocket Ron that work on the Honzo, I would just run them. In fact I'm running the 2.8 Nobby Nic on the front with a 2.8 Rocket Ron on my Canfield EPO and am really pleased with the setup. Even though the Honzo hasn't gotten ridden much over the last couple months since I been riding my new Canfield Riot and EPO on every ride, the Honzo is without a doubt staying in my stable!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    SB666, forgot to mention that I went to 165mm cranks on my Riot and EPO. I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam. The Riot and EPO didn't really need more ground clearance, I just heard some good things about folks running 165s and wanted to try it. I love the 165s and even my knees seem a little less stiff and sore now too...starts to get important when you are almost 50 years old but want to ride like your in your twenties!

mtbr member
    hi SB666,
    very nice build, congrats!
    Sorry for the off topic question: how are you liking the AB oval chain ring? I've recently switched from a 34T oneup round to a 34T oneup oval ring. With the round one, I didn't drop the chain a single time in almost a year. now with the oval ring, I've dropped it on 3 out of 4 rides (once due to a botched up landing, once while pedalling downhill, once even uphill). I'm liking the pedaling performance, which definitely has improved, but I'm rather underwhelmed with the chain retention of the oval ring. I did not change the chain, nor the chain length as the toothcount is the same, fwiw.

I was wondering if you're having similar experiences with the AB ring?

Cheers!

PS i'm on a 2013 Honzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm really keen on building up a 27.5+ Honzo (ST frame preferably). However, does anyone know if the newly announced Big Honzo will actually have any different frame specs (geo, clearance etc.) to better accommodate 27.5+ options? It would seem that while the existing 29er optimised frame is very good at converting to 27.5+, there are probably a few tweaks that could be made if the frame was actually designed for 27.5+ in the first instance (BB height, rear clearance for instance). Does anyone know if the Big Honzo is just a Kona issued 27.5+ wheeled version of the same 2016 Honzo frame, or are there some minor frame changes (I haven't been able to find anything on this after much searching).

mtbr member
    Currently only the st and ti honzos are convertible to 650b+ the big honzo is an aluminum frame. That's the only difference I've seen as definite, although it certainly makes sense that it would clear at least a 3.0 and have other tweaks to the geometry since it's designed specifically as a + frame.
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. Yeah, sorry, realised the Big Honzo was an AL frame but if it had some geo tweaks for specific 27.5+ may look at it over an ST build. May just have to wait until something appears on the Kona site. I'm hoping you're right though in suggesting it makes sense to at least clear a 3.0 and perhaps some other geo tweaks. Otherwise, there's some other AL options out there that look good (Orbea Loki for instance...)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fatties need love too.

34 boost up front
    Scrapers front and back with 3.0 ground control up front and wtb breakout on the back.

Last edited by ledude; 05-28-2016 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootbmx View Post
    SB666, forgot to mention that I went to 165mm cranks on my Riot and EPO. I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam. The Riot and EPO didn't really need more ground clearance, I just heard some good things about folks running 165s and wanted to try it. I love the 165s and even my knees seem a little less stiff and sore now too...starts to get important when you are almost 50 years old but want to ride like your in your twenties!
    Thanks so much for that detailed breakdown on the (not recommended) frame modification! I am actually really happy with how the 2.8 NN's are running now, so gonna hold off on trying anything bigger for the time being.

I am going to go the 165 route as well. I am not quite 50 (pushing 30 myself), but a lifetime of board sports has aged my knees, wouldn't mind a little less there - as well as the increased clearance.

You should post some of the latest pics of your ride on here! I am sure people wanna see em, I know I do :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    hi SB666,
    very nice build, congrats!
    Sorry for the off topic question: how are you liking the AB oval chain ring? I've recently switched from a 34T oneup round to a 34T oneup oval ring. With the round one, I didn't drop the chain a single time in almost a year. now with the oval ring, I've dropped it on 3 out of 4 rides (once due to a botched up landing, once while pedalling downhill, once even uphill). I'm liking the pedaling performance, which definitely has improved, but I'm rather underwhelmed with the chain retention of the oval ring. I did not change the chain, nor the chain length as the toothcount is the same, fwiw.

I was wondering if you're having similar experiences with the AB ring?

Cheers!

PS i'm on a 2013 Honzo
    Definitely no issues with the AB ring, not a single dropped chain... Their machining is top notch - you should go take a look at one in person if you can. The NW tooth profile is exceptional on their rings, better than any race face I have owned. I have not had any experience with Oneup rings but based on your experience it sounds like AB is the better option. I own one of their round rings as well that I run on my other bike. Seriously beautiful machining, check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    34 boost up front
    Scrapers front and back with 3.0 ground control up front and wtb breakout on the back.

Hey ledude, those images are broken (at least for me). Would you mind trying to post again? I wanna see that fat Ti Honzo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    picture links fixed for your viewing pleasure!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    picture links fixed for your viewing pleasure!
    So beautiful! I think I missed my shot at the 2016 ti frame... Hoping a size small pops up for sale at the right time. I'm sure if they do ti in 2017 it will go the way of boost rear spacing. Just built a pretty new 142x12 wheel, not trying to switch to yet another "standard"

mtbr member
    Since they are already using sliders in the back, I wowonder if they could just make a new slider set that will take a boost hub without modifying the rear triangle spacing, just like the 135qr and 142ta are interchangeable...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidfs View Post
    Since they are already using sliders in the back, I wowonder if they could just make a new slider set that will take a boost hub without modifying the rear triangle spacing, just like the 135qr and 142ta are interchangeable...
    This is one of the first things I looked into when boost came out... Apparently the 135 and 142 technically use the same internal axle width, it's just spacing outside of the hub, whereas the 148 is actually a wider axle within the hub. That was probably a terrible explanation, but from what I understand, 142 to 148 conversion isn't possible. But the sliding dropouts definitely make customization easier... Even if Kona didn't offer it, I am sure you could have some dropouts machined that will allow the narrower hub spacing

mtbr member
    Actually, if they come out with a wider rear end that still uses sliders, it might be as simple as getting some 3mm spacers (and matching bolts) to put in between the sliders and frame, then using a 12x142 axle, I don't know if the threads are the same, but I don't know why they wouldn't be...

Not that these things are ever logical...

I'm anxious to see the '17 colors, I love the raw steel but they are sold out of my size (maybe all sizes I don't know?)...

mtbr member
    Well there you go!

mtbr member
    Hey,
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds intriguing... I'll give AB a chance next time I switch to a new ring. I was actually put off by their pricing and horrendous shipping costs when I shopped for oval rings.
    Great initiative on the thread, mate!
    Favorite pastime reading honzo threads 😊

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey,
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds intriguing... I'll give AB a chance next time I switch to a new ring. I was actually put off by their pricing and horrendous shipping costs when I shopped for oval rings.
    Great initiative on the thread, mate!
    Favorite pastime reading honzo threads 
    I'm right there with you, always like seeing a notification from the Honzo build thread, why not start another?

Got a solid ride in this morning, the honzo was always fast with the 29ers but with my Nobby nic 27+ setup the bike is seriously taunting me to go faster. I was riding with a buddy on his carbon Reign advanced and had to stop several times for him on the downhill because I was just dropping him at every corner. So stoked on this setup!

mtbr member
    Sounds great! I also love how the honzo likes to go fast 🚀 had a nice ride myself yesterday, always a good day when a ride is included.
    With my 13 frame, I cant really add,much to the plus side of the story though... I'll be watching out for a 16 frame once the 17s are out.

WNC Native
    Davidfs- there is also this option if you have DT, Hope, or White Industry rear hubs - Boostinator ? Lindarets
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've got a little fatzo envy for this one!
    Colossus - Sixes Pit's Bike Check - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Pretty pimped out build ( titanium Thomson riser, watttt?!)

These red hoops ar not my cup of tea, but who cares...dem hope brakes are wicked.

Norđwegr
    Pretty pimped out build ( titanium Thomson riser, watttt?!)

These red hoops ar not my cup of tea, but who cares...dem hope brakes are wicked.
    wiggle.com | Thomson HB-E113 Titanium MTB Handlebar | MTB Handlebars

wiggle.com | Thomson Titanium MTB Handlebar | MTB Handlebars

The flat one is half the price for some reason, had my eye on them for a while; but ended up with a RF Next instead since it's half the price of the cheapest TI bar

the air is thin up here..
    dem hope brakes are wicked.
    Until you need to use them to actually stop

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    The flat one is half the price for some reason, had my eye on them for a while; but ended up with a RF Next instead since it's half the price of the cheapest TI bar
    And potentially half the weight! Those Ti bars are as heavy or heavier than an alloy equivalent (350g for 785s?! My $30 810mm Funn bar is lighter than that). I'm all for bling, but paying 2-3x more money AND adding half a pound of weight to your front end... yikes
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Hi,
    It's been on kona's ti Tuesdays 2 weeks past with some words wrapped around the pics
    Ti Tuesdays | KONA COG
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi,
    It's been on kona's ti Tuesdays 2 weeks past with some words wrapped around the pics
    Ti Tuesdays | KONA COG
    Cheers
    I saw that as well, worth checking out both articles, they have different photos :-)

mtbr member
    Ah, sweet, that's stellar info the pics are even better than on the kona site. thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey ledude,
    How do you like the Breakout in the rear? Are you able to run pretty low tire pressure? Thinking about giving that one a shot until Maxxis and Conti join the 2.8 tire game... The Nobby Nic in the rear seems to tear every time I look at it wrong, had it fail on me twice now. I am more of a masher than someone who floats over rocks, so that's something I need to work on, but I still feel like the tire should be more durable. Anyways, the Breakout seems like a pretty good option! I would be stoked on it so long as I could still run low tire pressure on my i35 and get the cushion benefit I get fom the Nobby Nic

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey ledude,
    How do you like the Breakout in the rear? Are you able to run pretty low tire pressure? Thinking about giving that one a shot until Maxxis and Conti join the 2.8 tire game... The Nobby Nic in the rear seems to tear every time I look at it wrong, had it fail on me twice now. I am more of a masher than someone who floats over rocks, so that's something I need to work on, but I still feel like the tire should be more durable. Anyways, the Breakout seems like a pretty good option! I would be stoked on it so long as I could still run low tire pressure on my i35 and get the cushion benefit I get fom the Nobby Nic
    Hi SB666, glad to answer.

I think the breakout 2.5 is perfect for our honzos. Technically, the breakout is not a plus sized tire, I ran wtb 2.8 trailblazers in the rear initially but was not impressed as the tread pattern didn't provide much grip, sidewall tears way too common and the width of the casing was really tight against the stays.

Breakout has a more aggressive tread pattern = awesome grip, it's just as tall as the trailblazer but not as wide, no sidewall tears.

Personally,I think it's a pretty great tire for the honzo. It's easy to overlook, but I don't think the honzo was intentionally designed to fit 27.5+...that's evident in it not being able to really run any width that is a true 2.8 (at least on wtb scraper rims, which I run on my honzo).

In short, go for it...it's a great tire that I run anywhere between 15-30psi depending on the trail and bike it's on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Awesome! Yea I haven't heard a bad thing about those tires yet! I patched up my Nobby Nic, maybe I'll get luckier this time. Next time a tube goes in, I'm gonna order a breakout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Is the honzo AL/DL frame capable of using 27.5 plus or is it only the ti frames?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For the time being, it is just the 2015 and 2016 steel frames as well the 2016 Ti frame. The 2017 line will have the AL/DL "Big" Honzo which may even be able to run 29+ tires... Not clear whether the frame is optimized for 29+ or 27.5+ but there have been many leaked images of that model on the way. The 2016 AL/DL has boost hub spacing but for some reason they did not do a very good job of making room for tire clearance.

Norđwegr
    Are there any off the shelf [and reasonably priced] 27.5+ wheelsets available? Only option I have in Europe seems to have one built and I'm not that committed to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Are there any off the shelf [and reasonably priced] 27.5+ wheelsets available? Only option I have in Europe seems to have one built and I'm not that committed to it.
    I'm really happy with the Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims I am running. They offer an off the shelf wheel build as well, not familiar with the quality of their hubs though:
    Spank Oozy Trail 395+ Bead Bite MTB Wheelset 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Norđwegr
    That's not too bad, they weren't on there last time I checked

With taxes and what not I'd end up paying $700+tires, idk if it's worth it at that point. Might aswell just save up some more and get a complete bike. I like the Cannondale Beast of the east which isn't that expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys,

Some great info in this thread. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ST frame, with the intention of running it as a 27.5+.
    Question I have is regarding rim widths. Is anyone running a 40mm internal width rim with a 2.8 or 3" in the rear?
    Planning the wheel build, and would hate to run into clearance issues if I go down the route of Easton Arc 40 or DT-Swiss XM551's rather than something narrower like the Oozy 395's.

On a side note noot, ^^ Hope brakes are probably "The" best available on the market... for both outright stopping performance, feel and modulation, reliability and serviceability. Weight weenies gonna hate i suppose.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Hey guys,

Some great info in this thread. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 2016 ST frame, with the intention of running it as a 27.5+.
    Question I have is regarding rim widths. Is anyone running a 40mm internal width rim with a 2.8 or 3" in the rear?
    Planning the wheel build, and would hate to run into clearance issues if I go down the route of Easton Arc 40 or DT-Swiss XM551's rather than something narrower like the Oozy 395's.

On a side note noot, ^^ Hope brakes are probably "The" best available on the market... for both outright stopping performance, feel and modulation, reliability and serviceability. Weight weenies gonna hate i suppose.....
    I've had Easton ARC 30s and running the Oozy 395 now... 395 is a way better rim as far as construction and quality. i35 seems to be the best option for 2.8's but if you're running 3.0 in front you may prefer 40... I'm sure i35 with a 3.0 would be fine as well. You aren't going to fit anything wider than 2.8 in back without modifying your frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey guys,

Jtmofo,

Going to echo SB666 comments...might have issues running 2.8-3.0 tires on a i40 rim.

I ran wtb trailblazers on i45 rims and they would scrape the stays. Keep in mind th at the trailblazers are not true 2.8s, but probably narrower.

Hope brakes are the bees knees.

Not to derail the thread, but:
    I liked them in every way (feel, modulation, adjust-ability, looks, etc), didn't care about the weight (they weren't that heavy). Except how they stopped - I had tech M4s with 8in rotors, stainless hoses, goodridge pads, didn't matter. I had them for 4 years and was in denial right up until the end - after all mine were $1000+ brakes and everyone talks about how great they are! I tried everything. I've now witnessed similar problems with other Hopes in person, and after some more research, found that it's not uncommon (lots of "my hopes don't stop well" threads, lots of advice, never any "this did the trick" resolution).

In the end, my new XTs are almost as good in every category except "stopping performance", where they are just miles better.

EDIT: Mine weren't the "evo" model, which apparently added 15% (?!?) more power. Perhaps those are better, but people were singing Hopes praises long before they came out.
    Also note that I'm still a big Hope fan, their hubs have been great for me.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Does anyone happen to know the Price for the new 2017 27.5+ Honzo Frame?
    Bike~less

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey guys. I just started riding again after about a 10 year layoff. I've been riding 3 to 4 times a week for the past 2 months and have no plans of slowing down. With this said I started saving for a new bike to replace my 2001 Kona Stuff. After researching my intention is to go 27.5+ with the short list of contenders being the Norco Torrent or RSD Sergant. But after reading this thread and some others I am really loving the 2015 Honzo. Just something about it speaks to me.

My question is will a "plus" 27.5 tire fit in the stock RS Revelation fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by obikeo View Post
    Hey guys. I just started riding again after about a 10 year layoff. I've been riding 3 to 4 times a week for the past 2 months and have no plans of slowing down. With this said I started saving for a new bike to replace my 2001 Kona Stuff. After researching my intention is to go 27.5+ with the short list of contenders being the Norco Torrent or RSD Sergant. But after reading this thread and some others I am really loving the 2015 Honzo. Just something about it speaks to me.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some actual first hand experience, but given that the 29er pike clears a 3" tire no problem, I imagine the revelation would clear at least a 2.8, if not just as much as the Pike. This is based on total assumption though... You should check out the plus size tire forum on this site, there is a thread about fork compatibility I believe...

mtbr member
    I have the revelation that came stock on my 2013 honzo, not sure if the one on the 2015 model was any different. I think a 2.8 tire won't fit there, or would be too tight for my liking. There's a bump on the inside of the stanchions just where the tire bulges out. I'll follow up with a pic asap

Quote Originally Posted by obikeo View Post
    On my revelation it looks like clearance is darn close to rear-end frame clearance. Maybe a bit more. I don't have a plus tire, but there's still plenty of room with a 29 Nobby Nic that measures 2.45in wide.

IMO - I'd do less reading and more riding on 27.5+ before pulling the trigger on a dedicated plus frame. There are advantages, but I've read several mag reviews comparing plus vs non where riders found non more fun. At least one member here has also returned to 29 from 27.5+ on his honzo after being pretty stoked on it initially.

All that said, Honzo is the perfect bike for you because you have the ability to go back and forth, or find a happy medium. I'm really enjoying 29x2.35 on wide rims - more traction and some cushion but without the "floatiness" that seems to be a downside of b+. There's also more and more 29x2.5in tires coming out.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks guy for the responses. I'll check the fork compatibility thread and see if I can find any confirmation one way or the other.

The reason I like the idea of a "plus" bike is for that little bit of extra cushion and trying to avoid going full suspension. I ride in the northeast with tons of rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone know if the 2017 honzo st frame only option will be same geo for b+ as it is for 29? Or is the big honzo a specific geo for 27+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Does anyone know if the 2017 honzo st frame only option will be same geo for b+ as it is for 29? Or is the big honzo a specific geo for 27+

No single hardtail frame is the same geo 27+ and 29... New honzo ST frame is same as the previous one, which is 29. You can fit some 27+ wheels (as seen in this thread), but biggest issue is low BB from the slightly smaller wheels.

Big honzo is specifically designed around 27+ to match geo of other honzos with 29. 29 won't fit on big honzo tho.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmm. I was curious since it says 12x148 boost on the st frame only. Dang. I was really wanting a + honzo but in a steel frame.

I read somewhere that that was an error, and the ST is still 12x142...
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well poopschtik

mtbr member
    rocking 2.8 minions now. big improvement over the 2.8/3.0 nobby nics i had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    rocking 2.8 minions now. big improvement over the 2.8/3.0 nobby nics i had.

What internal rim diameter are those 2.8s mounted to?

mtbr member
    What internal rim diameter are those 2.8s mounted to?
    36mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Chainstay clearance pics please

mtbr member
    Chainstay clearance pics please

no rubbing. 2.8 nobby nic used to rub on the rear of my enduro, and that was about 1-2mm wider. minions are much stiffer, even at lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pics not showing up for me, really stoked to hear on the slightly better clearance than NN!

What do you weigh and what sort of pressure you running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anybody tried to fatten up their CR model or is it not possible?

mtbr member
    Recently picked up my 2017 Big Honzo DL and loving it so far. I'm 6'0 215lbs and went with a medium size considering the top tube was longer than my old L GT and every other fit spec was similar.

Only changes from stock so far are some Ergon grips and Canfield Crampon pedals.

First time with + tires and set up immediately tubeless as those 2.8 tubes are about 1/2lb each! Weight is a hair over 29lbs as shown.

On the wishlist are carbon bar, some Guide brakes and longer travel dropper post. Also looking into increasing the travel of the Yari to from 120 to 140mm - anyone try this? Looks like just a matter of replacing the air damper - is this worth it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_0879.jpg  

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_0847.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    Recently picked up my 2017 Big Honzo DL and loving it so far. I'm 6'0 215lbs and went with a medium size considering the top tube was longer than my old L GT and every other fit spec was similar.

Only changes from stock so far are some Ergon grips and Canfield Crampon pedals.

First time with + tires and set up immediately tubeless as those 2.8 tubes are about 1/2lb each! Weight is a hair over 29lbs as shown.

On the wishlist are carbon bar, some Guide brakes and longer travel dropper post. Also looking into increasing the travel of the Yari to from 120 to 140mm - anyone try this? Looks like just a matter of replacing the air damper - is this worth it?
    That's such a rad bike! Yea 140mm would just mean a new air spring. Swapping air spring is really easy if you are comfortable with servicing your lowers. Great pedal choice :-)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I am thinking of trying plus wheels on my 15' Honzo ST. Anybody know if a Maxxis Recon 2.8 on i40 rim will clear? I run a Pike 120 (100x15) up front. Thanks for any feedback.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I am thinking of trying plus wheels on my 15' Honzo ST. Anybody know if a Maxxis Recon 2.8 on i40 rim will clear? I run a Pike 120 (100x15) up front. Thanks for any feedback.
    That would be really tight...I had some 'scraping' with the 2.8 Trailblazers mounted to the i45s...and the 2.8 trailblazers aren't even true 2.8s.

I went down to a 2.5 Breakout in the rear - a lot better clearance and they dont have the wimpy casings of the other plus tires.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have some clearance shots of Minion B+ 2.8s showing the chainstays and seatstays on a 2015 or 2016 ST? That is the tire I am thinking about moving to next once my 29 versions wear out or I destroy a rim.

mtbr member
    That would be really tight...I had some 'scraping' with the 2.8 Trailblazers mounted to the i45s...and the 2.8 trailblazers aren't even true 2.8s.

I went down to a 2.5 Breakout in the rear - a lot better clearance and they dont have the wimpy casings of the other plus tires.
    Thanks Ledude, really appreciate it!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post

I'm curious about the clearance on the rear yoke of the Big Honzo, could it take a true 3.0 or larger? If the clearance is the same as the Honzo St, I might go that direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    I'm curious about the clearance on the rear yoke of the Big Honzo, could it take a true 3.0 or larger? If the clearance is the same as the Honzo St, I might go that direction.
    27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-e8cafbd7-e272-4de0-8ed7-0985d0b934e0_zps6bvudp3i.jpg

measured a hair over 1/4" chainstay clearance on each side, so thinking you should be okay with 3.0s depending on the tire you are using.

mtbr member
    27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-31ae376b-f93d-4ee2-9c98-9982b7b51116_zpsvfntuvwq.jpg

Update: Upgraded with some Guide R brakes and 150mm KS dropper. Loving both so far, OEM Shimano brakes had plenty of power, just not crazy about the on/off feel. Guides feel great so far with better modulation and was able to use the stock Shimano mounts and rotors (centerlock). Extra dropper travel is much appreciated and along with a new seat, dropped about 1/2lb off the top of the bike.

If anyone is looking for cheap dropper or brakes, PM me and will be posting the OEM stuff on classifieds.

Rudy Project Eyewear

Kona Big Honzo

Big Honzo
    WTB Scraper i40's w/ I9 Torch hubs
    XT Brakes and Drivetrain
    Fox Transfer Factory dropper
    '17 FOX 34 Factory 140mm
    27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-kona-test-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome setup! Let me know how you like 140mm on the front - been considering getting a new air spring for my 120mm.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    I'm diggin the 140mm (put in 25+ miles of singletrack last weekend)... I'm glad I went with the longer travel (over the recommended 120mm). I was concerned over raising the front end, but by the time you get the sag dialed in its not noticeable at all. It may have the added advantage of slacking out the front end to 67 or 67.5 degrees (from 68).

mtbr member
    Taking the steel Honzo to 140 is very common, and many people over in it's thread say it performs better that way, so I'd imagine it'll work well in the big Honzo as well

dontcha?
    Tempting, my Yari came at 140mm but I got the 120mm air shaft and reduced it for the Big Honzo.

My ride from the other Honzo thread:

Changes from stock:
    -Fox Transfer w/wolftooth i-spec II remote
    -GX shifter w/problem solver i-spec II direct mount
    -SLX brakes w/icetech rotors
    -Yari RC @ 120mm
    -BMC carbon handlebar and stem(not carbon)
    -Specialized Butcher & Slaughter tires(Love 'em)
    -Oneup Oval 32T chainring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-20170203_130709.jpg  

"The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Got Twins?
    Hey Captain,
    Did you ride the BH with 140mm travel before reducing down to 120mm? How did it climb and feel. I'm thinking of going 130 to retain the climbing but a little more travel for the downs.
    Thanks!
    Let us Ride!

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by l84biking View Post
    Hey Captain,
    Did you ride the BH with 140mm travel before reducing down to 120mm? How did it climb and feel. I'm thinking of going 130 to retain the climbing but a little more travel for the downs.
    Thanks!
    I did not, I've read that it's not that big of a change and it's fine for climbing. I might pop in the 140mm air shaft to see how it feels, but honestly the 120 feels pretty good on the terrain I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I just picked up a Big Honzo this past Thursday and haven't had a chance to ride it yet since the weather hasn't been on my side yet. But already have an idea of what I want to do to it. I already swapped out the stock brakes and threw on my M785's I had on my pitch. Swapping rotor to ice tech's and bumping it to 180mm on the back rotor. Once I sell my pitch I may swap out the dropper post to something with a longer drop. hope to enjoy this bike as I have my pitch.

Half way with the instal.

Finished

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried running 29+ wheels on the Hanzo ST? I have 36mm internal 29 wheels I would like to use on the Honzo.

tg
    mtbr member
    Mine showed up today after a long wait.Went with the XL. Now if it would stop snowing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just took it out for the first time yesterday and it was a blast, flat way faster than my other bike. I bought the entry level spec and I am not a fan of the dropper on it. I'm considering getting the fox transfer and wanted to know from the people that have it how they felt about it. The eten rises really slow and feel like 125mm would be more appropriate for me at 5'6"

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobridersb View Post
    Just took it out for the first time yesterday and it was a blast, flat way faster than my other bike. I bought the entry level spec and I am not a fan of the dropper on it. I'm considering getting the fox transfer and wanted to know from the people that have it how they felt about it. The eten rises really slow and feel like 125mm would be more appropriate for me at 5'6"
    I upgraded to the transfer from eten... the eten sucks, I was having issues with it after 3 rides, it wasn't locking in place so I was getting some unexpected rear suspension. I'd recommend the Transfer, I went with the 150mm model since I'm 6' 4", but I'd probably recommend the 125mm in your case. I went with the wolftooth remote, I'd recommend that over the Fox remote.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got on the fox transfer (125mm drop) and added some new grips. Feels way better than the eten.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    29 won't fit on big honzo tho.
    What are you basing that on?

The only difference in the geo charts between the AL Honzo and the Big Honzo is the bottom bracket drop to raise the bottom bracket height on the Big Honzo to match the regular Honzo 12.2 bottom bracket height with the slightly shorter Plus size tires.

So just like you can put many plus wheels/tires on a Al/ST 29er Honzo and get a lower bottom bracket. (of which most people just increase fork travel to raise it back up enough that it's fine)

You should be able to put many 29er wheels/tires on a Big Honzo and just end up with a taller bottom bracket. (and then run a smaller 2.25" 29er tire in the back like most do anyway and your mitigating the issue. Plus a 12.2 BB height is pretty low, so a little higher is probably preferred by some)

Haven't done it yet, but read of those who have and the numbers sure support it?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding View Post
    Tempting, my Yari came at 140mm but I got the 120mm air shaft and reduced it for the Big Honzo.
    I've read mixed info on changing to a 140 air shaft for the Yari. I find the Pike shaft that says 160 for 27.5 and 140 for 29ers. Which I would assume is the right air shaft to get 140 on the Yari for this purpose.

BUT, I also read that if you use a Pike specific air shaft than it gets 10mm less travel on a Yari or Lyrik...? So I there is also the 29er Pike 150 airshaft available??

Any chance you still have the 140 airshaft around and can read what's marked for travel on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    29 will fit, tried it at the lbs, they had a big honzo in stock and the AL model as well. I asked if we could try the wheels from the AL onto the big honzo and the rear wheel/tire fit in just fine. They said the front would be no problem either so that's why they only threw on the rear tire.

Got Twins?
    Some upgrades happened recently. Went with a Fox 34 Performance at 140 mm, Chromag Stem and XT brakes. Upgrading the fork has really made the bike come alive. Future upgrade is a new dropper.

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-taking-break-other-side-park.jpg

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-over-edge-1.jpg
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Upgrading the fork has really made the bike come alive.
    Because you feel it is more capable, or because the head angle isn't as steep anymore? I'm not sure why the Honzo's come with a 68* HTA...

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Because you feel it is more capable, or because the head angle isn't as steep anymore? I'm not sure why the Honzo's come with a 68* HTA...
    The Fox 34 fork is more robust and the GRIP damper is much better than the Recon when diving down steep hills. And having larger stanchions made the bike more precise. The slacker head angle did help on steep downhills and in technical situations too. The 34 at 140 mm is about 15 mm's longer than the Recon at 120mm. I was thinking of going with a Pike, but that would have been about a 30 mm increase in axle to crown over the Recon. I like the steep seat tube angle for climbing and didn't want to slacken that out with the Pike.

The Recon is a great starter fork for the money that the BH starts at for a lot of riders.

I think the BH starts with a 68* HTA is for overall performance. If you go too slack, say 66.5* like on a DB Mason, than you suddenly put that bike into the "all-Mountain" category. Whereas the Big Honzo is marketed as a "trail" bike. I wanted what the regular Honzo's stand for and that's more to the all-mountain side but not super slack. I had a DB Mason 29er and it was great for fun steep trails and technical riding at speed but was a bit of wanderer on the climbs. After riding that bike for a couple years, I figured that about 67* was what I wanted in a bike and a steeper seat tube angle too. And maybe, since this 27.5+ bike category isn't sorted out yet and the 68* HTA was to stay a little conservative? Maybe in a year or two, we'll see a longer travel version of the Big Honzo and a 27.5+ version of the Process bike too. At least for now, I have what I have been wanting the last year.

Thanks!
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At least for now, I have what I have been wanting the last year.
    Thanks for elaborating. Bike looks great.

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Thanks for elaborating. Bike looks great.
    Thanks for asking! It's a fun ride!
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been looking at the 29er Honzo, and the Big Honzo as well...

Robtre
    I have all parts ordered for a 27.5 plusser Steel Honzo build. Ive been on a 29er (last bike was Nimble 9) for 10 years, so 27.5+ will be a new experience. Can anyone share ride characteristics with me? I know traction is improved, gotta tinker with tire pressures, but lower BB height? Is it much different ? Hoping for a hardtail that still rips, but is cushier on my old body. Thanks for sharing.

2018 Fox 34 Float 140mm
    Industry 9 27.5 305 Enduro Wheels
    Full XT Drivetrain
    Fox Factory Transfer Dropper post

Tire reccomendations? I was looking at Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.8'z
    Hoping 140mm Fork will offset BB height
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Can't find any Honzo 2016, 2017 or 2018 anywhere. Anyone have the hook up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Can't find any Honzo 2016, 2017 or 2018 anywhere. Anyone have the hook up?
    What about Bikeman.com ?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What about Bikeman.com ?
    Awesome! I bought one. Now I need to see what 29x2.5 I can fit on there. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Very pleased with the Mercury rims on my Honzo ST. Running a Nobby Nic 2.8 in the back (measures 2.77) with very little clearance though. These Mercury rims are advertised as 35mm internal and 40mm external. I'll either switch to a Nobby Nic 2.6 when I replace the rear, or...open to suggestions on other options that come in a little narrower than the 2.8 Nobby Nic?

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-37746056762_32977a2775_z.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Very pleased with the Mercury rims on my Honzo ST. Running a Nobby Nic 2.8 in the back (measures 2.77) with very little clearance though. These Mercury rims are advertised as 35mm internal and 40mm external. I'll either switch to a Nobby Nic 2.6 when I replace the rear, or...open to suggestions on other options that come in a little narrower than the 2.8 Nobby Nic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37746056762_32977a2775_z.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	1162954
    How are the pedal strikes with the 2.8's? I'm wondering if 170 cranks, 140mm fork and very thin pedals would resolve this issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast