Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone know if the 2017 honzo st frame only option will be same geo for b+ as it is for 29? Or is the big honzo a specific geo for 27+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Does anyone know if the 2017 honzo st frame only option will be same geo for b+ as it is for 29? Or is the big honzo a specific geo for 27+

No single hardtail frame is the same geo 27+ and 29... New honzo ST frame is same as the previous one, which is 29. You can fit some 27+ wheels (as seen in this thread), but biggest issue is low BB from the slightly smaller wheels.

Big honzo is specifically designed around 27+ to match geo of other honzos with 29. 29 won't fit on big honzo tho.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmm. I was curious since it says 12x148 boost on the st frame only. Dang. I was really wanting a + honzo but in a steel frame.

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

the air is thin up here..
    I read somewhere that that was an error, and the ST is still 12x142...
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well poopschtik

mtbr member
    rocking 2.8 minions now. big improvement over the 2.8/3.0 nobby nics i had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    rocking 2.8 minions now. big improvement over the 2.8/3.0 nobby nics i had.

What internal rim diameter are those 2.8s mounted to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    What internal rim diameter are those 2.8s mounted to?
    36mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Chainstay clearance pics please

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Chainstay clearance pics please

no rubbing. 2.8 nobby nic used to rub on the rear of my enduro, and that was about 1-2mm wider. minions are much stiffer, even at lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pics not showing up for me, really stoked to hear on the slightly better clearance than NN!

What do you weigh and what sort of pressure you running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anybody tried to fatten up their CR model or is it not possible?

mtbr member
    Recently picked up my 2017 Big Honzo DL and loving it so far. I'm 6'0 215lbs and went with a medium size considering the top tube was longer than my old L GT and every other fit spec was similar.

Only changes from stock so far are some Ergon grips and Canfield Crampon pedals.

First time with + tires and set up immediately tubeless as those 2.8 tubes are about 1/2lb each! Weight is a hair over 29lbs as shown.

On the wishlist are carbon bar, some Guide brakes and longer travel dropper post. Also looking into increasing the travel of the Yari to from 120 to 140mm - anyone try this? Looks like just a matter of replacing the air damper - is this worth it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_0847.jpg  

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-img_0879.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    Recently picked up my 2017 Big Honzo DL and loving it so far. I'm 6'0 215lbs and went with a medium size considering the top tube was longer than my old L GT and every other fit spec was similar.

Only changes from stock so far are some Ergon grips and Canfield Crampon pedals.

First time with + tires and set up immediately tubeless as those 2.8 tubes are about 1/2lb each! Weight is a hair over 29lbs as shown.

On the wishlist are carbon bar, some Guide brakes and longer travel dropper post. Also looking into increasing the travel of the Yari to from 120 to 140mm - anyone try this? Looks like just a matter of replacing the air damper - is this worth it?
    That's such a rad bike! Yea 140mm would just mean a new air spring. Swapping air spring is really easy if you are comfortable with servicing your lowers. Great pedal choice :-)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I am thinking of trying plus wheels on my 15' Honzo ST. Anybody know if a Maxxis Recon 2.8 on i40 rim will clear? I run a Pike 120 (100x15) up front. Thanks for any feedback.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I am thinking of trying plus wheels on my 15' Honzo ST. Anybody know if a Maxxis Recon 2.8 on i40 rim will clear? I run a Pike 120 (100x15) up front. Thanks for any feedback.
    That would be really tight...I had some 'scraping' with the 2.8 Trailblazers mounted to the i45s...and the 2.8 trailblazers aren't even true 2.8s.

I went down to a 2.5 Breakout in the rear - a lot better clearance and they dont have the wimpy casings of the other plus tires.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have some clearance shots of Minion B+ 2.8s showing the chainstays and seatstays on a 2015 or 2016 ST? That is the tire I am thinking about moving to next once my 29 versions wear out or I destroy a rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    That would be really tight...I had some 'scraping' with the 2.8 Trailblazers mounted to the i45s...and the 2.8 trailblazers aren't even true 2.8s.

I went down to a 2.5 Breakout in the rear - a lot better clearance and they dont have the wimpy casings of the other plus tires.
    Thanks Ledude, really appreciate it!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post

I'm curious about the clearance on the rear yoke of the Big Honzo, could it take a true 3.0 or larger? If the clearance is the same as the Honzo St, I might go that direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    I'm curious about the clearance on the rear yoke of the Big Honzo, could it take a true 3.0 or larger? If the clearance is the same as the Honzo St, I might go that direction.
    27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-e8cafbd7-e272-4de0-8ed7-0985d0b934e0_zps6bvudp3i.jpg

measured a hair over 1/4" chainstay clearance on each side, so thinking you should be okay with 3.0s depending on the tire you are using.

mtbr member
    27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-31ae376b-f93d-4ee2-9c98-9982b7b51116_zpsvfntuvwq.jpg

Update: Upgraded with some Guide R brakes and 150mm KS dropper. Loving both so far, OEM Shimano brakes had plenty of power, just not crazy about the on/off feel. Guides feel great so far with better modulation and was able to use the stock Shimano mounts and rotors (centerlock). Extra dropper travel is much appreciated and along with a new seat, dropped about 1/2lb off the top of the bike.

If anyone is looking for cheap dropper or brakes, PM me and will be posting the OEM stuff on classifieds.

Rudy Project Eyewear

Kona Big Honzo

Big Honzo
    WTB Scraper i40's w/ I9 Torch hubs
    XT Brakes and Drivetrain
    Fox Transfer Factory dropper
    '17 FOX 34 Factory 140mm
    27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-kona-test-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome setup! Let me know how you like 140mm on the front - been considering getting a new air spring for my 120mm.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    I'm diggin the 140mm (put in 25+ miles of singletrack last weekend)... I'm glad I went with the longer travel (over the recommended 120mm). I was concerned over raising the front end, but by the time you get the sag dialed in its not noticeable at all. It may have the added advantage of slacking out the front end to 67 or 67.5 degrees (from 68).

mtbr member
    Taking the steel Honzo to 140 is very common, and many people over in it's thread say it performs better that way, so I'd imagine it'll work well in the big Honzo as well
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

dontcha?
    Tempting, my Yari came at 140mm but I got the 120mm air shaft and reduced it for the Big Honzo.

My ride from the other Honzo thread:

Changes from stock:
    -Fox Transfer w/wolftooth i-spec II remote
    -GX shifter w/problem solver i-spec II direct mount
    -SLX brakes w/icetech rotors
    -Yari RC @ 120mm
    -BMC carbon handlebar and stem(not carbon)
    -Specialized Butcher & Slaughter tires(Love 'em)
    -Oneup Oval 32T chainring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-20170203_130709.jpg  

"The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Got Twins?
    Hey Captain,
    Did you ride the BH with 140mm travel before reducing down to 120mm? How did it climb and feel. I'm thinking of going 130 to retain the climbing but a little more travel for the downs.
    Thanks!
    Let us Ride!

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by l84biking View Post
    Hey Captain,
    Did you ride the BH with 140mm travel before reducing down to 120mm? How did it climb and feel. I'm thinking of going 130 to retain the climbing but a little more travel for the downs.
    Thanks!
    I did not, I've read that it's not that big of a change and it's fine for climbing. I might pop in the 140mm air shaft to see how it feels, but honestly the 120 feels pretty good on the terrain I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I just picked up a Big Honzo this past Thursday and haven't had a chance to ride it yet since the weather hasn't been on my side yet. But already have an idea of what I want to do to it. I already swapped out the stock brakes and threw on my M785's I had on my pitch. Swapping rotor to ice tech's and bumping it to 180mm on the back rotor. Once I sell my pitch I may swap out the dropper post to something with a longer drop. hope to enjoy this bike as I have my pitch.

Half way with the instal.

Finished

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried running 29+ wheels on the Hanzo ST? I have 36mm internal 29 wheels I would like to use on the Honzo.

tg
    mtbr member
    Mine showed up today after a long wait.Went with the XL. Now if it would stop snowing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just took it out for the first time yesterday and it was a blast, flat way faster than my other bike. I bought the entry level spec and I am not a fan of the dropper on it. I'm considering getting the fox transfer and wanted to know from the people that have it how they felt about it. The eten rises really slow and feel like 125mm would be more appropriate for me at 5'6"

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobridersb View Post
    Just took it out for the first time yesterday and it was a blast, flat way faster than my other bike. I bought the entry level spec and I am not a fan of the dropper on it. I'm considering getting the fox transfer and wanted to know from the people that have it how they felt about it. The eten rises really slow and feel like 125mm would be more appropriate for me at 5'6"
    I upgraded to the transfer from eten... the eten sucks, I was having issues with it after 3 rides, it wasn't locking in place so I was getting some unexpected rear suspension. I'd recommend the Transfer, I went with the 150mm model since I'm 6' 4", but I'd probably recommend the 125mm in your case. I went with the wolftooth remote, I'd recommend that over the Fox remote.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got on the fox transfer (125mm drop) and added some new grips. Feels way better than the eten.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    29 won't fit on big honzo tho.
    What are you basing that on?

The only difference in the geo charts between the AL Honzo and the Big Honzo is the bottom bracket drop to raise the bottom bracket height on the Big Honzo to match the regular Honzo 12.2 bottom bracket height with the slightly shorter Plus size tires.

So just like you can put many plus wheels/tires on a Al/ST 29er Honzo and get a lower bottom bracket. (of which most people just increase fork travel to raise it back up enough that it's fine)

You should be able to put many 29er wheels/tires on a Big Honzo and just end up with a taller bottom bracket. (and then run a smaller 2.25" 29er tire in the back like most do anyway and your mitigating the issue. Plus a 12.2 BB height is pretty low, so a little higher is probably preferred by some)

Haven't done it yet, but read of those who have and the numbers sure support it?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding View Post
    Tempting, my Yari came at 140mm but I got the 120mm air shaft and reduced it for the Big Honzo.
    I've read mixed info on changing to a 140 air shaft for the Yari. I find the Pike shaft that says 160 for 27.5 and 140 for 29ers. Which I would assume is the right air shaft to get 140 on the Yari for this purpose.

BUT, I also read that if you use a Pike specific air shaft than it gets 10mm less travel on a Yari or Lyrik...? So I there is also the 29er Pike 150 airshaft available??

Any chance you still have the 140 airshaft around and can read what's marked for travel on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    29 will fit, tried it at the lbs, they had a big honzo in stock and the AL model as well. I asked if we could try the wheels from the AL onto the big honzo and the rear wheel/tire fit in just fine. They said the front would be no problem either so that's why they only threw on the rear tire.

Got Twins?
    Some upgrades happened recently. Went with a Fox 34 Performance at 140 mm, Chromag Stem and XT brakes. Upgrading the fork has really made the bike come alive. Future upgrade is a new dropper.

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-taking-break-other-side-park.jpg

27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!-over-edge-1.jpg
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Upgrading the fork has really made the bike come alive.
    Because you feel it is more capable, or because the head angle isn't as steep anymore? I'm not sure why the Honzo's come with a 68* HTA...

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Because you feel it is more capable, or because the head angle isn't as steep anymore? I'm not sure why the Honzo's come with a 68* HTA...
    The Fox 34 fork is more robust and the GRIP damper is much better than the Recon when diving down steep hills. And having larger stanchions made the bike more precise. The slacker head angle did help on steep downhills and in technical situations too. The 34 at 140 mm is about 15 mm's longer than the Recon at 120mm. I was thinking of going with a Pike, but that would have been about a 30 mm increase in axle to crown over the Recon. I like the steep seat tube angle for climbing and didn't want to slacken that out with the Pike.

The Recon is a great starter fork for the money that the BH starts at for a lot of riders.

I think the BH starts with a 68* HTA is for overall performance. If you go too slack, say 66.5* like on a DB Mason, than you suddenly put that bike into the "all-Mountain" category. Whereas the Big Honzo is marketed as a "trail" bike. I wanted what the regular Honzo's stand for and that's more to the all-mountain side but not super slack. I had a DB Mason 29er and it was great for fun steep trails and technical riding at speed but was a bit of wanderer on the climbs. After riding that bike for a couple years, I figured that about 67* was what I wanted in a bike and a steeper seat tube angle too. And maybe, since this 27.5+ bike category isn't sorted out yet and the 68* HTA was to stay a little conservative? Maybe in a year or two, we'll see a longer travel version of the Big Honzo and a 27.5+ version of the Process bike too. At least for now, I have what I have been wanting the last year.

Thanks!
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At least for now, I have what I have been wanting the last year.
    Thanks for elaborating. Bike looks great.

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Thanks for elaborating. Bike looks great.
    Thanks for asking! It's a fun ride!
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been looking at the 29er Honzo, and the Big Honzo as well...

Robtre
    I have all parts ordered for a 27.5 plusser Steel Honzo build. Ive been on a 29er (last bike was Nimble 9) for 10 years, so 27.5+ will be a new experience. Can anyone share ride characteristics with me? I know traction is improved, gotta tinker with tire pressures, but lower BB height? Is it much different ? Hoping for a hardtail that still rips, but is cushier on my old body. Thanks for sharing.

2018 Fox 34 Float 140mm
    Industry 9 27.5 305 Enduro Wheels
    Full XT Drivetrain
    Fox Factory Transfer Dropper post

Tire reccomendations? I was looking at Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.8'z
    Hoping 140mm Fork will offset BB height
    -rides bikes for fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12