mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2014 vs 2015 Honzo: which would you recommend?

I am looking into buying my first Honzo, been eyeing them for a while now. I can get a good deal on last year's Honzo and a pretty good deal for this year's as well. I would be going with a small frame, I am 5'7 with fairly short legs, so the lower standover on the 2015 is enticing.

I'm curious to hear a comparison of ride quality. I like the specs on the 2015 model a little better (though there will be upgrades), but the 2014 isn't too bad really either. The narrow wide ring and no chainguide on the 2015 is nice.

Does the 2014 come with a clutch derailleur as well? Hard to tell on the website - specs don't mention it, but the overview does.

The internal routing on the 2015 is cool too. No question the 2014 looks better, not a huge fan of the 2015 paint but I could live with it.

I do have to say that over everything, the 2015's standover does looks a little more confidence inspiring to me, I think with the seat dropped it would have a little more of an in the cockpit feel vs the on top of the bike feel I get often with 29ers.

I am interested to hear your thoughts!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have a 2013 Honzo, which is very similar to the 2014. The stock specs are a bit different, but really the same bike. I am riding a medium frame because of the standover. I have short legs and long torso. I wish I had the TT length and low standover height of the 2015 Large. Based on what Im hearing here, I would recommend the 2015 if the price isn't much different. It also has the clutch derailleur and the narrow wide chainring stock.

I personally love the all black look of the 2015. I would have gone with the 2015, but I got a very good deal on the 2013 and it fits me well enough to not think about it much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You may want to wait a few days untill the new 2016 models are announced. Not that I would recommend an Aluminum Honzo, but it looks like there are two in the mix - a regular and DL version. Photo below is from Instagram. I'd assume there's still a steel version in the mix too!

I've seen the 2015 more than a few times on the trail. I myself own the 2012 frame. The 2015's standover is unreal and the bike strikes a mean figure in person. I would get the latest and greatest.

2014 vs 2015 Honzo: which would you recommend?-screen-shot-2015-07-13-9.56.56-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    You may want to wait a few days untill the new 2016 models are announced. Not that I would recommend an Aluminum Honzo, but it looks like there are two in the mix - a regular and DL version. Photo below is from Instagram. I'd assume there's still a steel version in the mix too!

I've seen the 2015 more than a few times on the trail. I myself own the 2012 frame. The 2015's standover is unreal and the bike strikes a mean figure in person. I would get the latest and greatest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 9.56.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1001714
    Definitely keeping it steel but good call and waiting for the 2016 announcement! It's going to be a week or 2 for me either way. Yea that standover looks so rad, like a huge dirt jumper. Love it.

mtbr member
    I would get the latest and greatest.
    I own a 2013 and I completely agree with hjuller. The 15 seems to have more tire clearance along with even more features on the frame. If I can get ahold of a med 15 frame I would swap out mine.

mtbr member
    You may want to wait a few days untill the new 2016 models are announced.
    Any clue when Kona normally announces new releases?
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Answered my own question:

They have a count down timer on the bottom of their website

KONA BIKES

(Currently 6 days, 8 hrs... so 5PM MST on Sunday, 7/19)
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I own a 2013 and I completely agree with hjuller. The 15 seems to have more tire clearance along with even more features on the frame. If I can get ahold of a med 15 frame I would swap out mine.
    Bikeman Kona 2015 Honzo Frame only, MD

Out of stock for now but looks like they will restock

mtbr member
    I talked to my LBS who deals Kona and the response they got was frame only is gone for the 2015s.

mtbr member
    Well that would suck
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Bikeman does have a size small frame in stock, which is the size I need... I am tempted to go with a frame up build, though if I go that route I will probably take my time to shop for values and it realistically wont be built for 4-6 months. So the complete is enticing since I can ride it now, and upgrade as things break or as I come across great deals.

I spoke with my local dealer again today and they said they could do 1900 for the 2015 or 1500 for the 2014. So the extra 3cm of standover will cost me $400, though I do have to say that if money were not a factor, I like the look of the 2015 geometry better - easily.

The 2014's paint is better, and it still looks like an awesome build. Does the 2014 have a tapered head tube? Again, a little hard to tell based on the website.

I like the 2015 specs better, but for $400 I would upgrade plenty anyways. If I go frame up build it will definitely be 2015, so long as the bikeman one doesnt sell out!

Tough call with the complete vs. frame up. I live in northern utah and will be snowboarding again in just a few months, so buying the frame and taking my time building it over winter could be a fun project.

I think either way, I will hold off until the 2016 announcements to see how next years geo is looking. Unfortunately, not a single Kona dealer in the Salt Lake or Park City area have a Honzo in stock - nuts right? So trying it before I buy doesnt appear to be an option I am 5'7 with fairly short legs and arms. Would you guys say small is a good bet? I ride a small Yeti sb-66, the Kona's top tube is almost as long and the reach seems pretty similar, though the seat tube on the small Honzo is much shorter than the Yeti (15" vs 16.5") Any opinions on size is greatly appreciated since it looks very likely that I'll be going into this purchase without trying first.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 9.56.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1001714
    I hope this photo isnt suggesting that Honzo will only be available in aluminum from now on... is it? If thats the case, I'm going to jump on this years or last years ASAP.

mtbr member
    I think a small would be best for you. I am just barely under 5'9" and am currently on a small. I want to move up to a medium to try out a longer bike. My Honzo is under sized and I went off ETT before I knew about sizing by reach. But it is still a blast. If Kona moves to all aluminum Honzo line I will buy a complete 2015 and convince my wife she needs a small Honzo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    haha, yea there will be a revolt if they announce that... I have a hard time believing it, but I'm just going off those pictures posted by hjulier

Thanks for the sizing input, I am confident that small is the right call.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    The 2014's paint is better, and it still looks like an awesome build. Does the 2014 have a tapered head tube? Again, a little hard to tell based on the website. ...
    Yes it does.
    CO non-native, dammit!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Yes it does.
    Actually did a little more research, looks like the 2014 has a 44mm head tube that will accept a tapered fork/headset, but the 2015 frame is actually a tapered headtube

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just ordered the 2015 frame in size small from Bikeman! It was the last they had in stock, and likely one of the last frame-only 2015 Honzos available in the US!

Build plans:
    New XT groupset
    140mm pike - what sort of offset is everyone happy with?
    Happy to hear suggestions for wheels... I want bombproof but I'm not trying to break the bank. If there is one item I am willing to splurge on though, it will definitely bet the wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I had a choice between both the 2014, & 2015 at my LBS. The price difference was only $150, so I had to go with the 2015. I am not one to make a bunch of upgrades, so the better equipped 2015 was too good of a deal to pass up.

I actually like the 2014 frame & color a little better, but a 20% discount on the 2015 sealed the deal.

mtbr member
    I'd say going for the 2015 for $150 more was worth it because of all the improvements to the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The geo on the 2015 is WAY better in my opinion. I'm really happy I went with the 2015 frame only, I have a 140mm pike in hand and a set of wtbi25's, I am just waiting for the groupset to come in the mail which seems to be taking FOREVER!!!

I was unsure about the color on the 2015 at first, the green and blue looked way more neon and bright on the website pictures. In person, the matte black is super sleek and the green and blue have a much more flat tone, they dont pop out too much which I like a lot. I would prefer if the Kona logo on the downtube was straight green throughout, not the biggest fan of the gradient, but it's still pretty cool!

I'm really stoked on the standover on the 2015, its going to be a big wheel dirt jumper!

mtbr member
    Hurry up and get that thing built. Not to sure what geo changed for 2015 besides standover and head tube length. There were a lot of frame feature updates, 2016 got some geo updates tho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Hurry up and get that thing built. Not to sure what geo changed for 2015 besides standover and head tube length. There were a lot of frame feature updates, 2016 got some geo updates tho.
    Standover looks similar for 2016... The measurement on their site shows it dropping by 3", but it's clear that they just measured the standover from a way different spot on the top tube this year. I think the biggest change for 2016 was a slightly longer reach, which actually would have been bad for me because the reach on the small 2015 is already a little longer than my other bike (I have super short arms). So I'm definitely stoked I went with the 2015 vs 2016

mtbr member
    I was comparing 2014 to 2015 geo. I thought that's what you were talking about with the 2015 geo being way better because the thread is about choosing between a 2014 vs 2015.