Thread: 2014 Kona Shred

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2014 Kona Shred

They redid it for 2014 and looks like it's a fun bike with a slack h/a but with low spec parts. I am interested in it for urban rides and I would prob upgrade some components anyway. I havent found much info or pictures of it except from the Kona website so has anybody seen one at a shop yet or have any pics of the actual bike they can post up ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did see one in a shop and rode it. It's a really, really nice looking bike in person and I had a lot of fun on a short ride around the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I too am interested in the Shred, looks like a fun Urban Assault frame. I've tried to get an LBS near me to get one in for demoing, but since only 3 people have asked about the bike and they are selling everything else in greater numbers, it's like they don't want to be bothered by it. I do know that the Shred comes with a 120mm travel coil fork, yep, 120mm of no-assist spring travel; or, a 120mm pogo stick inserted into a 44mm headtube. The bike is $850 total and has about $600-$650 worth of parts on the frame.

Get this, I contact Kona wanting to know some specifics on the frame, the only question that was answered was regarding maximum fork length. The gentleman who replied stated that "he" wouldn't stick more than a 100mm fork on it. Which is very confusing of a company to say when it goes against the advertised geometry. Was he trying to give me his personal take on the bike, or does he know something about he frame in conjunction with a 120mm travel fork installed?

Because of this, I'm now looking for a like geometry to the Shred from a different company, but I'll keep riding my brothers old Stab!
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Just saw one today--looks pretty solid. I was not sold on the components though, but for 900 beans, there is room for some upgrades without getting stupid. I've been riding/beating a trek 4300 for 3 years, it's tired, I've used it hard. Once we get some nicer weather I'm going to demo a hanzo, a precept, a s.c. nomad, and this one. (It's hard to demo bikes in VT, just not a ton of shops/bikes.) I ride 4-5 days a week on the Trek on single track. I like the ride but I know hydro breaks and a nicer fork would really build some confidence. I'm just not sure I'm going to be pschyced on the 29's or f.s bikes so this might be the one.
    THE KONA COG | Shred wins MBUK Hardcore Hardtail Shoot-Out: ?A really solid, surefooted hardcore bike for pushing your riding limits? | Kona COG