Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: 2014 Honzo

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubicon73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    78

    2014 Honzo

    The 2014 Honzo looks like a much better spec! Clutch derailleur and shimano brakes plus I think the color looks great!

    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | HONZO
    I ride faster than I should...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    107
    Thanks. I think Kona is really stepping up for 2014. I especially like their 650b all mountain bikes.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubicon73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    Thanks. I think Kona is really stepping up for 2014. I especially like their 650b all mountain bikes.
    I completely agree! The Process, Satori, Explosif and Honzo are all amazing bikes for 2014!
    I ride faster than I should...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7
    I'm not into that green from the Honzo, but the decals look way better than those on my 2013 Honzo.

    BUT, the Shimano setup.....idk. I prefer my SRAM setup over it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ubado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxmitch View Post
    I'm not into that green from the Honzo, but the decals look way better than those on my 2013 Honzo.
    +1

    Although I'm not crazy about the color ... once they start taking orders for frames ... I'm gonna have a green bike.
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '12 Transition TransAM 29
    '13 On-One Inbred 29'er LTD ED Single Speed

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubicon73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    78
    My local shop said hopefully theyre able to order them in mid-August to September. I plan on ordering one as soon as theyre available.
    I ride faster than I should...

  7. #7
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    Dig that green color, to bad I just built up a 13' brownzo

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynot89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    175
    I would love to buy a Honzo, but I can't find any shops in St. Louis that stock them. They are all capable of ordering one, but I would have to commit to buying it before I had the chance to even test one :/

    I'm seriously considering just taking the plunge and buying one w/o testing it first (against my better judgement).

  9. #9
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    It's not too big a risk. Besides being portly it's a great bike. I chose to build and I'm barely over 28 pounds with pedals. I really like my Brownzo, it works as advertised.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    390
    How well do they climb? I am a bit worried about the slacker front end.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by spadmike View Post
    How well do they climb? I am a bit worried about the slacker front end.
    Like a mountain goat. I'm at 140 with a Fox 34 and no complaints. None.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynot89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    175
    any figures on the stock build weight? the weight is the one thing pushing me towards the taro over the honzo.
    Last edited by ynot89; 09-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.

  13. #13
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Yeah, no wander on the front at all; though I'm running stock fork at 120

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynot89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    175
    just ordered my '14 Honzo...can't wait till it comes in! Anybody know what "honzo" means? The cashier was asking me and I had no idea haha

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166

    2014 Honzo

    Quote Originally Posted by ynot89 View Post
    just ordered my '14 Honzo...can't wait till it comes in! Anybody know what "honzo" means? The cashier was asking me and I had no idea haha
    I remember reading it was an homage to one of the chromag frame builders. That he was the "hatori honzo" ( kill bill swords smith) of bike frame welders.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    I remember reading it was an homage to one of the chromag frame builders. That he was the "hatori honzo" ( kill bill swords smith) of bike frame welders.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free


    Why would they name it after a competing company that makes frames?

    The name Honzo is inspired by an alcoholic chain-smoking chimpanzee.

    Inspired by an alcoholic chain-smoking chimpanzee, Kona’s product group has taken an irreverent approach to creating the Honzo–a wildly agile, trail abusive Kona Cromoly hardtail 29er. Gravity Product Manager Chris Mandell reports on the process:
    THE KONA COG | 2012 Sneak Peek ? The Honzo | Kona COG

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post


    Why would they name it after a competing company that makes frames?

    The name Honzo is inspired by an alcoholic chain-smoking chimpanzee.

    THE KONA COG | 2012 Sneak Peek ? The Honzo | Kona COG
    LOL. - You are partially right and I am partially wrong. All I said was I remembered something like that. There is indeed a Hattori Hanzo reference and a shoutout but not to Chromag.

    'Nother New Kona - Page 2

    From the words of the makers:
    Thanks! This is 'my bike' and owe much of the inspiration for the design from creativity found in this forum. And my travels in Western NC... big props to the man out there doing what he does so well. A friend in the industry laughed when I told him that I named the bike the ''Honzo'' because he calls Steve the "Hattori Hanzo of frame building". I will admit that was my original intent on the name but when I misspelled it in a google search with an "O" not an "A" and learned of Honzo the chimp, it was a done deal.

    I really hope folks throw a leg over this bike, it will absolutely blow you away with what it can do and how fast it wants to go while remaining incredibly stable. For those looking for this style of bike, you are going to be smiling. A lot.

    But he was talking about this guy:
    By:Stickel - Handcrafted Custom Bicycles

    I love the gif though - totally gonna steal it.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: playdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    746
    honzo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Honzo-honzo-motmot.jpg  

    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynot89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    175
    Have been loving my 14 Honzo! Blast to ride and it definitely has that "cool" factor among other riders I meet up on the trails. Quick question. I think I'd like to go to a 30 tooth chainring up front. If I got the race face narrow/wide (Race Face) ring, could I drop the chain guide without too many problems?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166
    I did this with a narrow wide wolftooth components with no issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    I've had this on 3 rides with a non clutch rear xo and zero chain drops and no chain slap. I went 28t front, 36T back 1x10.

    Attachment 837855

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    229
    Thread butt-in...
    I'm fixin to buy one of these, and I wanted to solicit some views from you with experience:

    I see that at least one person likes a 140mm front fork. Anyone out there feel that this just slows down the handling too much, or retards climbing too much. [Sure, 'too much' is subjective; I really do want your subjective opinion.]

    Has anyone out there compared the ride of the 2012 with the 2013-14. Mainly, I'm interested in the Kona's decision to put the toptube/seatpost, and if anyone thinks that this is a necessary thing.

    Thanks.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Thread butt-in...
    I'm fixin to buy one of these, and I wanted to solicit some views from you with experience:

    I see that at least one person likes a 140mm front fork. Anyone out there feel that this just slows down the handling too much, or retards climbing too much. [Sure, 'too much' is subjective; I really do want your subjective opinion.]

    Has anyone out there compared the ride of the 2012 with the 2013-14. Mainly, I'm interested in the Kona's decision to put the toptube/seatpost, and if anyone thinks that this is a necessary thing.

    Thanks.
    I just pulled the trigger on a 140mm Revelation to replace the 120mm Fox 32 Float I had on my 2012 Honzo. I won't have a real ride on it with the new fork until March or April though.

    120 felt like it was limiting the bike a bit. I have a couple spacers that I can remove to drop the front end a bit with the new 140 fork. Zero stack top cup with a stem slammed right down should be about the same height I was running with the 120mm.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    229
    Sweet, and good to hear.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    120
    Another threadjacker...

    I, too, am considering a Honzo frame. Kona doesn't list the frame option on their site but based on this thread alone, it's clearly available. Can anyone share what the retail is on the frame? And how long to do they take to receive once ordered?

    A little background... Got back into MTB about 4 months ago after a few years absence - new story, I know... My last bike was a Giant Reign1 and I thought based on my local trails that I would be preferring more XC-style riding so I got a Niner EMD with SID and full XT. I like Niner and the EMD is great but this is the wrong bike for the kind of riding I'm finding myself doing which is looking for anything to jump and the funnest line downhill. I know, I know -- should have spent more time test riding. Frankly, I didn't expect to be riding like I am. Nor did I expect I would be ditching the Candy's and Sidi's for 5.10's and Spikes...

    So I am planning on doing some test riding soon to ensure that my hunch to go with a longer travel, slack, chromo hardtail is what I'm looking for. I will be testing the Niner ROS 4-star build but am considering the Honzo, Nimble 9 and Trans-Am29 as the EBB on the Niner has me concerned... And unfortunately I'm in a small market so the likelihood of testing any of the other is unlikely so I will likely need to use the ROS to test my hypothesis.

    Thanks for in advance for any insight regarding price and availability.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Another threadjacker...

    I, too, am considering a Honzo frame. Kona doesn't list the frame option on their site but based on this thread alone, it's clearly available. Can anyone share what the retail is on the frame? And how long to do they take to receive once ordered?

    A little background... Got back into MTB about 4 months ago after a few years absence - new story, I know... My last bike was a Giant Reign1 and I thought based on my local trails that I would be preferring more XC-style riding so I got a Niner EMD with SID and full XT. I like Niner and the EMD is great but this is the wrong bike for the kind of riding I'm finding myself doing which is looking for anything to jump and the funnest line downhill. I know, I know -- should have spent more time test riding. Frankly, I didn't expect to be riding like I am. Nor did I expect I would be ditching the Candy's and Sidi's for 5.10's and Spikes...

    So I am planning on doing some test riding soon to ensure that my hunch to go with a longer travel, slack, chromo hardtail is what I'm looking for. I will be testing the Niner ROS 4-star build but am considering the Honzo, Nimble 9 and Trans-Am29 as the EBB on the Niner has me concerned... And unfortunately I'm in a small market so the likelihood of testing any of the other is unlikely so I will likely need to use the ROS to test my hypothesis.

    Thanks for in advance for any insight regarding price and availability.
    If you are in the states I know Bikeman.com usually has them. They ship fast. In Canada the Honzo was not avail in a frameset the last couple years. I got mine on pinkbike.com from a guy in Cali.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some Honzo ridin'
    By RideEverything in forum Kona
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM
  2. Honzo and the WBP...
    By RideEverything in forum Kona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  3. Anyone have a Kona Honzo?
    By danwrzesinski in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM
  4. Honzo or Y-S
    By Clink in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 09:05 AM
  5. Honzo
    By bonesetter2004 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •