2013 Kona Process: looks promising

First Look: 2013 Kona Process DL

66* HT
    12x142 rear wheel
    ISCG 05 tabs
    Internal Dropper post routing
    2.4+ tire clearance
    60mm stem across all sizes, TT has been adjusted accordingly
    best new feature about this bike, no Magic Link - Hoooray!!

Hope they offer in frameset only
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 08-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

I do what I want
    New 2013 Kona site supposedly up on Friday.
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    2013 is going to be a great year for Kona.

I'm also liking the sizing on the bigger frames, instead of extending stem lengths, they are extending the reach because us tall guys still like our short stems.

RIP Friendgirl
    Looks like an updated/modern Dawg, which isn't a bad thing. Also glad the "Magic" BS is gone.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

I do what I want
    Yeah its a refreshing return to when the Coiler/Coilair was awesome!! Im so anxious for this bike to come out. Literally my perfect bike, with a few mods of course.
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm also liking the sizing on the bigger frames, instead of extending stem lengths, they are extending the reach because us tall guys still like our short stems.
    Trouble is a long top tube combined with a slack head angle and a long travel fork all adds up to a mega long wheelbase, which can't do the steering any favours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyinhove View Post
    Trouble is a long top tube combined with a slack head angle and a long travel fork all adds up to a mega long wheelbase, which can't do the steering any favours.
    Well I'm on a 20" Long Kona Honzo 29er, 26" ETT, 140mm fork, 50mm stem and it finally fits like a proper bike, but still a lot more flickable and enjoyable to ride than my previous Transition TransAM with 24.5" ETT, 160mm fork and 50mm stem. And I don't feel the extra 2" of wheelbase on the Honzo now one bit. But looks like the XL Process is 2" longer than my Honzo, but still I love the direction Kona is heading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Whats wrong with magic link?

I own a kona magic link bike for almost a year now, had no problems with it whatsoever, runs smoothly.

As for maintenance, there pretty much isnt any, I opened (disassembled) it for the first time after 9 months and there was nothing to clean inside as it was pretty much as new.

The only thing to mention is that it does squeaks a bit sometimes and you need to lube it with chain oil every once in a while to keep it silent, but thats a small price to pay for what it offers to me.

And I still have a spring (coil) magic link, soon I will probably get air magic link, which I presume wont make any noise at all, since there is no rubbing.

mtbr member
    Kona still makes the Abra/Cadabra Magic Link bikes. The Process looks like a Dawg meets a non-magic link Coilair. Perfect! Need to save my pennies now!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Not sure I could afford the extra $2k for the DL but the regular Process looks pretty sweet as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    Kona still makes the Abra/Cadabra Magic Link bikes. The Process looks like a Dawg meets a non-magic link Coilair. Perfect! Need to save my pennies now!
    Process looks sweet, but Coilair had much more travel.

mtbr member
    The non-Magic Link Coilair was a 150-160mm bike, just like the Process. It wasn't until the Magic Link came along that they bumped the travel up on the Coilair

KONAWORLD.COM - 2007 BIKES - MOUNTAIN BIKES, ROAD BIKES + MORE

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    While I agree the Process looks sweet, who in their right mind is going to pay $5500 for an alum bike in that travel range? There are many carbon offerings, with very similar parts spec, from a number of companies at this point. They really need to drive the price down.

mtbr member
    The regular Process comes with a nice looking spec for a believable price...I also think the DL is pretty pricey, but the lack of carbon doesn't bother me. I feel like the aluminum is probably the more durable workhorse for an Enduro race bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was fortunate to test 2013 Process, Cadabra and Satori at bikepark in Finland for couple of hours last week. I really really liked the Process. I've been riding Abracadabra for two seasons now, Abra/Cadabra had great improvements due to new fork and new magic link, but I really liked how stable and confidence inspiring Process was. I suppose I could post proper story of the test to new topic though...

mtbr member
    Sweet! I look forward to hearing ride reports. I reaaaaallly dig the orange on the Process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Whats the point, everybody hate kona anyway...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    I was fortunate to test 2013 Process, Cadabra and Satori at bikepark in Finland for couple of hours last week. I really really liked the Process. I've been riding Abracadabra for two seasons now, Abra/Cadabra had great improvements due to new fork and new magic link, but I really liked how stable and confidence inspiring Process was. I suppose I could post proper story of the test to new topic though...

would also be interested in Ride report, process and satori both are intriguing.

is that an XL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toni31 View Post
    whats the point, everybody hate kona anyway...
    ok.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Loving the numbers of this bike, except for the price: ain't very Kona-like.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestAir View Post
    would also be interested in Ride report, process and satori both are intriguing.

is that an XL?
    That's L/19"

I wrote that report to another topic

Cadabra/Process

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Finally...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I still think DL model its too expensive. Still, hope you have fun with it!

mtbr member
    Buddy got the process its badass! I wish i would of spent the extra for it. My cadabra is badass tho.

We are goin to angel fire in april so we will put our bikes thru the paces. So far they are both awesome for the mild downhill we have here in centex.

sent from my galaxy tab 2