Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Kona Explosif 650b?!?

10K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Nrs1Rider 
#1 ·
Already a thread going in the 650b forum, but was hoping a kona rep could comment on the prototype photos popping up on the uk dealer sites.

This appears to be a honzo with some adjustments. Any geometry info? 1x10? Fork travel?

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Chello, I understand you converted a '05 Explosif earlier in the year. How's that going? What BB height did you end up with?
It's spectacular. Been riding it exclusively since the conversion. It's noticeably smoother with better braking and a little more traction. Plenty of clearance in the rear as well on the Fox F100 up front.

I don't have a BB measurement to give. It did feel a little "tall" the first time i rode it, but that feeling was gone within a few minutes and i was clearing fallen tree's that i normally would have rubbed on the crank.

All in all, a winner! No plans on ever going back to 26".

#7 ·
The only limiting factor would be the fork you have. I have a fox f100 meant for 26" wheels that will fit 650b's without issue.

As long as you have a fork that will fit the front wheel, the rear is as simple as changing out the rear wheel. I moved my sliding dropouts toward the rear a bit just to give a little more clearance, but you may not even have to do that depending on the tire you choose.

Cheers.

#10 ·
They don't list them as in stock and are scheduled to ship in February. I did talk to someone up at Kona just a few days ago and they've been ripping around on the protos a bunch, but it'll be the next build schedule before they arrive. It won't surprise me if there are a few more options form them next year in that wheel size.

#13 ·
That's all they told you? Frame only??

I wrote to them also for availability, frame only option and geometry specs. Waiting for an answer back.

I'm only interested in the frame or I can get a Jamis Dragon frame for just over dealer cost. I like the Kona for it's tapered head tube and replaceable hanger both which the Jamis lacks.

#14 ·
Frame only will be available for $500 is what the guy from Kona wrote to me.

Still no other details or geo specs. Hopefully soon as I'd like to order a frame set but need more specifics before plunking down the $$.

#18 ·
oh, yea..that's a good point. An angleset would be good. I'm just thinking since I read it'll be more Trail oriented geo, that it'll have less than burly build.

BTW...it's not the first time I've heard the Works angleset recommendation, but I haven't heard much for other options (i.e. cane creek). Is the Works that much better?

Eurospek - You got what you asked for...they already scrapped the Steely. Don't kick the steeel horse when it's down:nono:

#19 ·
oh, yea..that's a good point. An angleset would be good. I'm just thinking since I read it'll be more Trail oriented geo, that it'll have less than burly build.

BTW...it's not the first time I've heard the Works angleset recommendation, but I haven't heard much for other options (i.e. cane creek). Is the Works that much better?

Eurospek - You got what you asked for...they already scrapped the Steely. Don't kick the steeel horse when it's down:nono:
But the 2011 and 2012 Steely was never a burly complete build from the get-go. Both years got stuck with a RS Tora QR. IMO, frame geometry was always there for the Steely, it was the complete package that sucked and ultimately led to its demise.

The 2012 Honzo was a decent build that focus on AM components, 2013 Honzo completely blows the 2012 out of the water in terms of upgrades.

Plus I'm finding the 26er AMHT to be a dying breed anyway. After owning a 26er Transition TransAM, Ragley Blue Pig, On-One 456 Summer Season, I would never bother with little wheels on a HT again. Riding the Honzo and 29er was definitely eye opening for me.

#24 ·
a little more info on the bike from Kona's site:

There’s nothing quite like the sweet ride of steel. Especially when it comes to an all-purpose trail bike. The new Kona Explosif takes our hardtail heritage and dashes it with some new—most notably the advantages of 27.5 wheels. Featuring a Kona Cromoly double butted frame, the Explosif uses aggressive trail geometry (68-degree headtube, low bottom bracket and short 420mm chainstays), while at the same time providing options via a sliding dropout system that can accommodate singlespeed, a 135mm standard geared system, and even a 142x12 thru axle for gnarlier applications. Throw in ISCG tabs, dropper post cable routing, a 44mm internal headtube for tapered forks and most trails imaginable are now yours to blow up. Enjoy the pyromania.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.