mtbr member
    Dec 2004

2013 Big Kahuna vs the Kahuna DL

Just getting back into riding and ready to pick up my next Kona and trying to decide if the Big Kahuna is worth the extra $700 over the Kahuna DL. I know the frame and fork are better on the Big Kahuna but does anyone have any thoughts on the rest of the components?

I'm moving to Hawaii this winter (for 3 years) so all of my riding will be done there. I won't be racing but will likely just be taking this out on weekends to ride trails and whatever other terrain I can find.

Granted, I'm sure I don't *need* the Big Kahuna but I'd like to get some opinions on the differences between the two to help me make up my mind.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not a lot. Mostly weight savings and some component improvements. Frame, fork, drivetrain, and brakes are all +1 level. Best upgraded part is the fork, X5 to X7 isn't terribly better. Scandium frames are not terribly different than standand Alu, except for maybe saving some weight.

Probably better getting the DL and upgrading the drivetrain as parts wear out. If you are doing riding as light as you said, then the upgrades aren't worth it. The only throw away on the DL is the pedals, then maybe the triple crank.

If you are doing longer rides with a lot of climbing, than the weight savings might be worth it, but if you were that serious you'd be looking at a higher spec bike.

Basically do you want a 28lb bike or a 26lb bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the advice. Realistically I'm sure I don't need the updated components because most likely I'll just be riding on weekends. My problem is that I generally don't like buying the 2nd best when I can upgrade to something better (within reason....for instance I know I don't need the King Kahuna).

Sounds like my best bet is to go with the DL and just pretend I don't know anything about the Big Kahuna

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by wldcat2 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Realistically I'm sure I don't need the updated components because most likely I'll just be riding on weekends. My problem is that I generally don't like buying the 2nd best when I can upgrade to something better (within reason....for instance I know I don't need the King Kahuna).

Sounds like my best bet is to go with the DL and just pretend I don't know anything about the Big Kahuna
    I'm having tons of fun on an entry level $500 bike and I ride like 3 times a week on rough technical trails. It holds up perfectly to pretty bad abuse. If I were you I'd get the regular Kahuna MSRP $1199, it will be more than adequate for weekend rides and you'll have money for accessories to boot.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    I'm having tons of fun on an entry level $500 bike and I ride like 3 times a week on rough technical trails. It holds up perfectly to pretty bad abuse. If I were you I'd get the regular Kahuna MSRP $1199, it will be more than adequate for weekend rides and you'll have money for accessories to boot.
    Hey, did my wife create an account and post that? LOL. Seriously though that's probably not a bad idea. If I went that way and just got the Kahuna, what are the, "must upgrade" components? My LBS here is pretty good about customizing the bikes they sell.

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by wldcat2 View Post
    Hey, did my wife create an account and post that? LOL. Seriously though that's probably not a bad idea. If I went that way and just got the Kahuna, what are the, "must upgrade" components? My LBS here is pretty good about customizing the bikes they sell.
    rofl I guess if you have money to burn I shouldn't try to talk you down to a lower level bike. the only thing on that I would say is a "must" upgrade are the pedals.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well I bought the bike tonight. Got a 2012 Kahuna DL for $1399 so I thought that was a pretty good deal. About the only difference I can see between the 2012 and the 2013 is the 2012 has 7005 Aluminum and the 2013 has 6069 Aluminum. Not sure how much difference that really makes but I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I'll post pics when the bike comes in next week.