Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26

    2012 vs 2013 kona honzo

    Looking at buying my first 29. I typically ride techy trails with big climbs then fast technical descents. This would be a change it up for me kind of bike as my main ride is a knolly endorphin. This seems like a 29er hardtail version of what I like, short chain stays longer top tube.

    Anyway found a few local options both stock, a 2012 and 2013 and about a 300 dollar price difference. From what I can tell the big difference of the 2013 is more stand over and the 12x142. Looks wise I prefer the 2012. I've ridden both 10x135 and 12x142 and while I can notice a slight difference it's not enough to tip me one way or the other.

    I have a few parts in the parts bin ill swap onto either bike, breaks, cassette etc. Leaning toward the 2012 but wondering if I'm missing something on the 2013. Any reason to do the 2013 instead?

    thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    532

    2012 vs 2013 kona honzo

    2012! Best looking Honzo. If I remember the '13 didn't really have a stand over difference despite what was advertised. You can always buy the 12x142 dropouts if the 10x135 doesn't work out. I kinda regret selling my '12 only based on looks.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2012 vs 2013 kona honzo

    Cool, good to know dropouts are swappable, did not know that. Would be fairly cheap way if I wanted to try and stiffen up the back end.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattbryant2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,131
    I will say that while I initially preferred the look of my blue 2012, the look of my brown 2013 has really grown on me. I think the 142x12 rear end is worth investing in, regardless of which you go with (and may make up for the price difference between the two). The 2013 also has the seat tube gusset, which does stiffen things up. My seat post always creaked in my 2012, and does not in my 2013. Also, my seat post slipped in my 2012, and I believe the seat tube was slightly oversized. No such issues with the 2013. This may just be in my head, but the overall quality of the 2013 seemed higher.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2012 vs 2013 kona honzo

    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    I will say that while I initially preferred the look of my blue 2012, the look of my brown 2013 has really grown on me. I think the 142x12 rear end is worth investing in, regardless of which you go with (and may make up for the price difference between the two). The 2013 also has the seat tube gusset, which does stiffen things up. My seat post always creaked in my 2012, and does not in my 2013. Also, my seat post slipped in my 2012, and I believe the seat tube was slightly oversized. No such issues with the 2013. This may just be in my head, but the overall quality of the 2013 seemed higher.
    Thanks for the info, probably not surprising that a second generation frame saw some quality improvements over the original. Also kicking around looking at a taro, based on price, granted I've always been drawn to steel especially hard tails.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Nor­wegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    765
    If it isn't going to be a primary bike I'd personally save the money, there isn't anything that warrants the pricehike other than one being newer and the dropouts. (I own a '13.)
    WTB:

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,369
    And the stand over difference between the two is barely noticeable. Personally I'd go with 2012 and a 142x12 rear (my current set up)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2012 vs 2013 kona honzo

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    If it isn't going to be a primary bike I'd personally save the money, there isn't anything that warrants the pricehike other than one being newer and the dropouts. (I own a '13.)
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    And the stand over difference between the two is barely noticeable. Personally I'd go with 2012 and a 142x12 rear (my current set up)
    Thanks yea. Since this won't be a primary ride its not sounding like there is enough difference to justify a price really tracking down a certain model/year. Probably find the best deal and throw a few upgrades on it as things break and need replacing. Based on that philosophy I'm also thinking of a Taro as well if the price is right.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    130
    I have the 2012. Blue looks lovely when dirty. +1 on seat post slippage- problem was solved with a new seat collar torqued to correct spec for a Reverb.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    532
    Yep, I switched to a Thomson collar on my '12 and solved my slippage issues with both a Thomson post and later a KS Lev. The slippage issue was definitely not a deal breaker for me.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    146
    I have a large blue w king headset for sale if anyone is interested.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2012 vs 2013 kona honzo

    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    I have a large blue w king headset for sale if anyone is interested.
    Frame only?

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    146
    Frame only but have a ton of parts if you want close to a complete including a revelation 130, Thomson stem, bars and more.

Similar Threads

  1. front derailler on 2013 kona honzo?
    By L.W. in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
  2. 2013 Kona Taro- AL version of the Honzo
    By nitrousjunky in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM
  3. What size 2013 Kona Honzo?
    By ptkevin in forum Kona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
  4. What size 2013 Kona Honzo?
    By ptkevin in forum Kona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
  5. 2012 Kona Honzo for front range?
    By TheNormsk in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •