mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2012 Kona Unit - Want Taller Gearing - Recommendations?

I'm pretty much just using my Unit as an all purpose urban commuter and it's pretty flat here, so I'd like the gearing to be taller for more relaxed commuting.

Any recommendations for what to go with? I'll admit, I've never worked on a bike before, but I'd say I'm definitely mechanically inclined.

Any write ups out there on how to change the gearing and if someone has a brief shopping list and recommendations on what I'll need, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was using a 34-18 in the early spring commuting on my unit but tended to top out at about 15-16mph on the flats. If I was going to be doing a considerable amount of commuting I would probably use a 34-17 set up. I was also riding in the stock igniter tires.

Surly Single Speed Cog > Components > Drivetrain > Singlespeed, BMX, and Track Cogs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

FSA DH/SS MTB Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Park HCW-17 Fixed Gear Lock Ring Tool > Accessories > Tools > Freehub and Cog tools | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I don't know if you have a chain whip. But you need that locking tool for the unit hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the recommendations, finally got around to ordering from the links provided above.

Any idea where I could get torque specs for the rear sliding drop out hex bolts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, finally got around to ordering from the links provided above.

Any idea where I could get torque specs for the rear sliding drop out hex bolts?
    RE: torque specs.
    Contact Kona customer support.