mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2012-13 Hei Hei Deluxe owners?

I'm interested in hearing from owners of 2012 but especially 2013 Hei Hei Deluxe owners. Please share with me your impressions of the bike and what you like and don't like about it. I had the opportunity to demo. this bike on my local trails recently and came away very impressed. I normally ride a 26" Stumpjumper FSR and the Kona was my first time on the big wheels. Two totally different bikes but I immediately decided to sell the Stumpy and purchase a XC Race style 29er.

I cannot understand why there are barely any results on the Hei Hei when you do a google search. There is practically nothing other than a few things on the much more expensive Supreme. This concerns me b/c why are there no magazines, websites, etc. reviewing it? Why are no passionate owners posting about it? Does Kona's P.R. just suck or do they not sell that many bikes or what? I'm also concerned b/c if I buy this bike and then decide to sell it in the future, will anyone even know what it is? I think it would be a very tough sell compared to something like a Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic, etc that has gotten tons of press and good reviews.

Workin for the weekend!
    Impressions...

Fast, intuitive and strong bike. The 12 Deluxe frame is the same as the 12 Supreme. The 13 Deluxe has the shorter chain (symmetrical now) stays and is supposedly a little more lively. Marketing does always equal better results, and Kona might not be the biggest machine out there but they're onto something good with the Hei Hei.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingoutlaw View Post
    I'm interested in hearing from owners of 2012 but especially 2013 Hei Hei Deluxe owners. Please share with me your impressions of the bike and what you like and don't like about it. I had the opportunity to demo. this bike on my local trails recently and came away very impressed. I normally ride a 26" Stumpjumper FSR and the Kona was my first time on the big wheels. Two totally different bikes but I immediately decided to sell the Stumpy and purchase a XC Race style 29er.

I cannot understand why there are barely any results on the Hei Hei when you do a google search. There is practically nothing other than a few things on the much more expensive Supreme. This concerns me b/c why are there no magazines, websites, etc. reviewing it? Why are no passionate owners posting about it? Does Kona's P.R. just suck or do they not sell that many bikes or what? I'm also concerned b/c if I buy this bike and then decide to sell it in the future, will anyone even know what it is? I think it would be a very tough sell compared to something like a Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic, etc that has gotten tons of press and good reviews.
    Thanks for posting this. My lbs highly recommends this bike to me, but I came to the exact same conclusion/questions as you. I would have posted this question a couple of months ago, but did not have enough posts to start new threads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a 2012 HeiHei DL and it has been a great bike. I have owned it since april of 2012 and have probably put about 500 miles on it in Oregon and No. California. I have absolutely no complaints beyond my preference for shimano drivetrain over sram. It rides great and has not held me back on anything. I had major reservations before I bought it, because of the longish chainstays. I had a Nimble9 before I bought the Kona and it had VERY short chainstays and was very...nimble... I have not noticed any negatives from the longer stays other than maybe a little slower around tight switchbacks. The benefits FAR outweigh the negatives. It climbs great and is a very confident and fun descender. It is also very comfortable on long epic days on the bike.It is pretty light too. My 20" out of the box weighed in at 28lbs. The only issue I have had with the bike was a broken axle on the rear easton wheel, which was covered by easton(but took forever) and that was not really a "Kona" problem. Anyway I would highly recommend the bike and if I had the funds I would jump all over the new carbon frame HeiHei. That thing is SWEET !

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have the 2011 hei hei 2-9 SE and I think it is a great bike. I was sold after 30 seconds in the saddle. I demo'd a ton of bikes and this was the one that felt right. I don't think resale is going to be a problem. Kona is very well respected brand among those who know. If you want great resale for a brand, go Santa Cruz, everybody wants on of those (including me). Components on the Kona are solid and the price is right. The EA70 xc wheelset, and SRAM X9 is a definite bonus compared to other brands at the same price point. 3k gets you a lot of bike with Kona. Personally, i kind of like riding something that not everybody else is riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingoutlaw View Post
    Here's my take.

I won a 2013 Deluxe in a raffle for the local bike club and have been riding it since early November. I've been on enough bikes to know what I like and what I don't. I have no brand bias/shop bias, this is just my opinion.

Overall, I think its a cool frame that is held back by its parts spec. If you change out some things, I feel it can be a super fun bike. But as it sits, its heavy, the fork has no sensitivity, the low rent cassette butchers the free-hub, and the double crank causes it to bob like a fool when using the smaller of the two rings. And who specs a roller bearing headset in a 3k bike?

But - its fast, stable, handles a variety of terrain well and doesn't feel like a big 29er. The best thing about it is it handles like a mountain bike, not a 29er mountain bike. Tight trails are as fun as wide open stuff. As I spent $10 on this thing, I sold my hardtail frame and moved some parts around and it feels right now.

Heads up - it is a firm riding bike. I've had 3" bikes that felt much more plush. If you want plush, look somewhere else.

So my opinion, if you can score a deal and are willing to swap out some stuff (esp. the fork) - its a good, fast bike. But I feel the parts spec lets it down out of the box.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Does anyone have a lead on the price of the carbon Hei-Hei? I'd like to get one...
    Brought to you by rocks.