Got a suspension fork

2011 Unit that makes creaking sound

I got my Unit in September 2010 and have been really loving the ride ever since, even sold my Hei Hei because I like the Unit so much more. However the creaking sound it makes is finally bothering me sufficiently that I need to find and stop it.

At first I thought it was the bottom bracket, LBS installed a Phil Wood and it made no difference so he put back in the Mega Exo BB. They also lightly greased the rear sliders.

It's not anything seat related as it creaks on hard pedaling even while standing.

Does anybody else have this affliction - ideas on what could be causing it or some tips on tracking it down would be very much appreciated.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Try your handlebar (use a non slipping grease and rebolt it). Try your stem and the saddle rails (also grease them).

I hand both screaming like mad because my bike was in sand and dust. My selle saddles were also real screamers when not greased.

Good luck... last option are headphones ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Swap out your pedals. I had the same issue and ended up being the pedals causing it.

Trail Prospector
    My 2010 Unit is currently giving me the same battle. As others mentioned I've: greased the b/b threads, sliders, seatpost, s/p bolts, clamp bolt, chainring bolts, pedals, stem, freehub, and re-packed bearings in B/B, pedals, and checked the H/S, freehub, & rear hub.
    Will try swapping pedals, then install a new chain, <300 miles.
    Agree this creak is maddening.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Every time my bike ('11 Unit) starts to really creak and pop is due to it being dirty. So I suggest that you give your bike a bath and oil/lube where needed and see if that fixes anything.

Also, don't forget to remove the seat post then clean and grease it before its installed again. That is usually where most of my problems come from - I'm a Super-Clyde (330lbs.) so I consider myself an expert on creaks and moans!

Got a suspension fork
    I'll try cleaning Moonshine, though it's not seatpost or up in the fork or handlebar area, it is most definitely in the back of the bike and noticeable under heavy pedaling.

I've swapped pedals, changed chains, lubed the sliders, lubed the QR, cleaned lubed and reinstalled the chainring bolts. All made no difference.

EXORCIZE
    I doubt the following is the answer, but it seems you've tried everything else.

When I swapped some drivetrain parts and moved my dropouts all the forward, I got some flex/rubbing in the rear dropout area. IIRC, I was getting some brake rotor rub on my pads. I tightened the sliders and it got a little better. Then I cranked it down REALLY hard and it stopped. I'm not sure what spec those sliders are supposed to be tightened to (ANYBODY???), but I now tighten mine down hard.

Btw, I think there was an identical thread about 3-4 months ago - not sure if it was this forum or 29er or SS.
    ride natty ride

EXORCIZE
    ride natty ride

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I doubt the following is the answer, but it seems you've tried everything else.

When I swapped some drivetrain parts and moved my dropouts all the forward, I got some flex/rubbing in the rear dropout area. IIRC, I was getting some brake rotor rub on my pads. I tightened the sliders and it got a little better. Then I cranked it down REALLY hard and it stopped. I'm not sure what spec those sliders are supposed to be tightened to (ANYBODY???), but I now tighten mine down hard.

Btw, I think there was an identical thread about 3-4 months ago - not sure if it was this forum or 29er or SS.
    hmm, I'd like to find the other thread...

Good point about the torque specs for the bolts on the slider, I've never done them to a speck - that's an obvious item that I haven't checked yet.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    hmm, I'd like to find the other thread...
    2011 Unit that makes creaking sound
    ride natty ride

EXORCIZE
    Are you the guy who runs a 21t or 22t in back and climbs assorted Phoenix mountain ascents? If so, I'd inspect your rear hub for wear/damage. That's probably a ton of torque for a single ring to be putting on a hub, especially if its alumimum.
    ride natty ride

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Are you the guy who runs a 21t or 22t in back and climbs assorted Phoenix mountain ascents? If so, I'd inspect your rear hub for wear/damage. That's probably a ton of torque for a single ring to be putting on a hub, especially if its alumimum.
    I used to ride a 21t in Phoenix on steep stuff, currently on a 20t. I'll see if I can borrow a wheel and test to see if that makes a difference.

In the mean time here are the specs for the slider bolts, I'll give these torque specs and procedure a try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Unit that makes creaking sound-screen-shot-2012-04-23-4.42.17-pm.jpg  

Chumley for prez!
    I hate when my "unit" creaks.

EXORCIZE
    Good info, Randy. Thanks. Let us know when you stop your squeek.
    ride natty ride

Trail Prospector
    Creak resolved! Guilty part was the left pedal. Was tight, but threads and washer were dry enough to create this annoying & persistent creak.
    Thanks to all for their input.

...telepathy
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..