mtbr member
    May 2005

2005 Dawg Dee-Lux

Thinking about buying a 2005 Dawg Dee-Lux. I ride an old Stumpjumper HT now and am 5'10", 140 lbs., with a 32" inseam. I do mostly XC riding and have never had a FS bike before. Does anybody know the stock weight on this model, and is it available in any colors other than creme? How does this bike perform on climbs, descents and flats, and how does it handle overall? Any other feedback from Dawg Dee-Lux riders is most welcome. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... Love my Dee-Lux

I got a 05 this spring and love it. Kona originally introduced it in creme and I think the dealer base must have advised them to change it. The one I got is a real sweet blue with a silver tint. Almost looks anodized. I think it does everything well. Climbing might be it's lesser strength but I can't complain one bit about it either. As for downhill with the 68 degree head angle it's very stable and handles downhills with ease. I like the way it handles overall. I find I can pick around obstacles quite nicely. It has a nice component group for the money and a very well built frame. I don't think you can go wrong with this bike. Check out the blue color on the website though I'll tell you it looks cooler in person.
    Oh and my 17" is 30# with Egg Beater SL pedals. Kona lists the DL at 29.2 I think and my digital scale registers in 1/2 lb increments so there is a slight margin of error but close enough. Have you ridden one yet? Check out the reviews on this sight as well although most are for last years model or earlier the bike gets a 5 out of 5 on the rating.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 18" Dawg DL I recently put together at the shop weighed in right at 31 lbs with pedals on the Topeak prep stand digital scale.. The new blue color is really sweet. That creme was Dawg ugly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well I own an 03 Dawg Deelux and wouldn't trade it for anything out there, or maybe just the 05 model. I am 200 pounds and the frame is indistructivble. i do lots of trail riding and drops but not more then 5 or 6 feet. The only upgrades i have done was put a bashguard on and i want to put a coilspring instead of air. I could only imagine that the 05 model is better faster and lighter then mine. All my friends who jump on it and ride it saw wow that's fast. They mostly own bikes with 5 to 7 inches or travel. My 4 is just what i need and would advise you to try it out at lbs. hope you fall in love with it to!