mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2005 Cinder Cone

Looks like there's only one dealer for Kona in Iowa. I've only talked to them through e-mail for now as they're 100 miles away. I'm interested in the Cinder Cone, and they are selling them at Kona's MSRP of $849. What kind of pricing would you expect if we were to buy 2 - one for me, one for the wife?

Thanks,

Tom

i heart singletrack

If you have to drive anyway...

... you might want to give Nate at Monkey Wrench Cycles in Lincoln, Nebraska a call or an e-mail. He may be able to do a bit better on price than the dealer you spoke to, and if you have to drive to get to the other dealer anyway...

Nate is a very cool cat to deal with too. He'd set you up right. You can reach him at (402) 477-4104, or nate@monkeywrenchcycles.com. The shop's Website is www.monkeywrenchcycles.com.

Good luck!
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Matt, I sent Nate an e-mail so I'll see what he says.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wink They should go off list

My Kona dealer is like 2 minutes from work. Sweeet. I started with a leftover Fire Mountain for my son which was a great deal. When expressing interest in the Dawg Dee-Lux I asked if he would discount. I also made it clear another LBS was willing to drop 20% off list on a Stumpjumper. He said I qualified for his Multi-bike discount which was 10% off list on the seond bike. That put the Kona and the Spec at the same exact price. It was a tough decision but as you may have guessed the Dawg won the fight. Bottom line is that Kona does not dictate actual sell price. I always ask for a deal, at least on larger purchases.

i heart singletrack

No problem... let me know what you end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mertztr
    Thanks Matt, I sent Nate an e-mail so I'll see what he says.
    Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    My Kona dealer is like 2 minutes from work. Sweeet. I started with a leftover Fire Mountain for my son which was a great deal. When expressing interest in the Dawg Dee-Lux I asked if he would discount. I also made it clear another LBS was willing to drop 20% off list on a Stumpjumper. He said I qualified for his Multi-bike discount which was 10% off list on the seond bike. That put the Kona and the Spec at the same exact price. It was a tough decision but as you may have guessed the Dawg won the fight. Bottom line is that Kona does not dictate actual sell price. I always ask for a deal, at least on larger purchases.
    This is more a food for thought comment than anything... You said you always ask for a discount on larger purchases, does that include buying stereo equipment at Circuit City? Tires at a tire store? A whole bunch of groceries? What makes a bike shop different? Years ago, when i worked in a shop, people asked me for deals, or to throw in a bunch of free stuff. I used to ask them if they asked for a free head of lettuce when they bought a bag of carrots.
    Bikes shops are there to provide a service, and many of them are very good at it. Many will give a discount, and usually more easily when it is not asked for. It's a touchy subject, and i'm sure many people will disagree with me wholeheartedly, but i don't think asking for deals on certain things is a good idea. Car work, bikes and bike work, tattoos, dental or medical work, etc etc. Certain things are worth the extra money for the service you get in return!
    Ok, i'm off my soapbox, sorry.
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well What I say??

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    This is more a food for thought comment than anything... You said you always ask for a discount on larger purchases, does that include buying stereo equipment at Circuit City? Tires at a tire store? A whole bunch of groceries? What makes a bike shop different? Years ago, when i worked in a shop, people asked me for deals, or to throw in a bunch of free stuff. I used to ask them if they asked for a free head of lettuce when they bought a bag of carrots.
    Bikes shops are there to provide a service, and many of them are very good at it. Many will give a discount, and usually more easily when it is not asked for. It's a touchy subject, and i'm sure many people will disagree with me wholeheartedly, but i don't think asking for deals on certain things is a good idea. Car work, bikes and bike work, tattoos, dental or medical work, etc etc. Certain things are worth the extra money for the service you get in return!
    Ok, i'm off my soapbox, sorry.
    Joe.
    Joe,
    I guess if your asking me I would have to say it depends. Car purchases yes, Stereo equipment yes (irregardles of the store), tires, well I shop but asking for a discount is a streach, I don't do the grocerie shopping but I DID work in a market and I was suprised at how many people would ask the manager for a better price on some things (usually damaged goods). The Manager would generally lower the price, Why, happy customers come back and they also tell friends. When or why I ask depends on the purchase. You're right I wouldn't ask the dentist for the cut rate. In the retail sector it is a question of margin and operating expenses. I believe the mark-up on a set of speakers is quite high. Therefore maybe a bit more room to wiggle to get your business. I don't profess to know the margins in the bike world but the fact that I see bikes at pretty good sale prices occasionally and 1 year leftovers discounted significantly leads me to believe that a dealer might have a bit of room to move if asked Politely. Again I was a multi Kona bike buyer and go back often to his shop to purchase parts/accessories at a 10% discount for the calendar year (another perk) and have sent several friends/aquaintances there to do business as well. Again a happy customer and I want to help his business florish. I guess I don't see what's wrong with what I said in my previous post but it seems to have struck a chord. Maybe you view the general flavor of the thread as ganging up on the Kona dealer base. If so it wasn't my intention at all. Sometimes tough to get true meaning from a text message.

mtbr member
    Leopard,
    Yeah, i guess you might have struck a chord, and like you said, it's hard to get the real gist of a message from a text posting.

Basically, i didn't think you were beating up on our dealer base, but that is a route that things can go down. Both of the shops you've mentioned are very small, and may not have the wiggle room you mentioned.
    I don't know the markup on speakers, but assume there's probably a fair amount. Bikes don't have much markup, they get discounted at year's end because people do get focused on new models, and anything "old" loses a lot of value quickly.
    Most shops do want to keep customers around, and will go the extra step (whether it be pricing, exemplary service, etc) but the bike biz isn't a place where people get rich.

Sorry if my soapboxing was a little over the top, hey, it's friday, the weather's nice, so all's well!

Cheers,
    Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Joe,
    I guess if your asking me I would have to say it depends. Car purchases yes, Stereo equipment yes (irregardles of the store), tires, well I shop but asking for a discount is a streach, I don't do the grocerie shopping but I DID work in a market and I was suprised at how many people would ask the manager for a better price on some things (usually damaged goods). The Manager would generally lower the price, Why, happy customers come back and they also tell friends. When or why I ask depends on the purchase. You're right I wouldn't ask the dentist for the cut rate. In the retail sector it is a question of margin and operating expenses. I believe the mark-up on a set of speakers is quite high. Therefore maybe a bit more room to wiggle to get your business. I don't profess to know the margins in the bike world but the fact that I see bikes at pretty good sale prices occasionally and 1 year leftovers discounted significantly leads me to believe that a dealer might have a bit of room to move if asked Politely. Again I was a multi Kona bike buyer and go back often to his shop to purchase parts/accessories at a 10% discount for the calendar year (another perk) and have sent several friends/aquaintances there to do business as well. Again a happy customer and I want to help his business florish. I guess I don't see what's wrong with what I said in my previous post but it seems to have struck a chord. Maybe you view the general flavor of the thread as ganging up on the Kona dealer base. If so it wasn't my intention at all. Sometimes tough to get true meaning from a text message.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Smile Good Point...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Leopard,
    Yeah, i guess you might have struck a chord, and like you said, it's hard to get the real gist of a message from a text posting.

Basically, i didn't think you were beating up on our dealer base, but that is a route that things can go down. Both of the shops you've mentioned are very small, and may not have the wiggle room you mentioned.
    I don't know the markup on speakers, but assume there's probably a fair amount. Bikes don't have much markup, they get discounted at year's end because people do get focused on new models, and anything "old" loses a lot of value quickly.
    Most shops do want to keep customers around, and will go the extra step (whether it be pricing, exemplary service, etc) but the bike biz isn't a place where people get rich.

Sorry if my soapboxing was a little over the top, hey, it's friday, the weather's nice, so all's well!

Cheers,
    Joe.
    Joe, I do know the LBS owner pretty well and agree he aint getting rich. He works his butt off and has said it's a "labor of love". I go in often and buy helmets, water bottles, etc, etc. for higher prices than the general sporting goods super stores and discount department stores. Why, because the LBS can Service you the others can not. So I do pay a bit more to keep them in business. Drives the Wife nuts from time to time but I tell her, don't buy there and you can't complain when they are gone. Guess I came off earlier a bit like go after the dealer he can afford it. I am really more about Support the dealer and he may work with you... Yeah it IS Friday and the weather is nice here too (finally). Cheers back at ya..
    'Dog