mtbr member
    Mar 2005

2004 Kona Dawgmatic clicking nois problem

Got a new Dawgmatic in March took it back to the shop for a 30 day tuneup and rite away i noticed a ticking sound coming from the front gears. Took it back they said they adjusted the gears but still had the noise, took it back , left it over nite and they said the rear derail was a lil bent. Rode it home but during the noise of the day did hear anything. Last nite rode it again and there is the click, click noise, Its only when i pedal, not as loud when i get off the seat. Was going to take it back to shop today but when i rode down there during the heat of day (90's) no noise heard. Tonite about 12.30 am when its much cooler (60's) and quieter i heard the clicking noise again. It kept getting louder and louder thurout my ride. Like i say it was fine before taking it in, now they look at me like im nuts when i go back, please help, could it be the bearings, havnt even ridden it much, just a few street rides. Somehow i think the shop i got it from is just a bunch of kids that doesnt know what they are doing! Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulVanMIdi
    Got a new Dawgmatic in March took it back to the shop for a 30 day tuneup and rite away i noticed a ticking sound coming from the front gears. Took it back they said they adjusted the gears but still had the noise, took it back , left it over nite and they said the rear derail was a lil bent. Rode it home but during the noise of the day did hear anything. Last nite rode it again and there is the click, click noise, Its only when i pedal, not as loud when i get off the seat. Was going to take it back to shop today but when i rode down there during the heat of day (90's) no noise heard. Tonite about 12.30 am when its much cooler (60's) and quieter i heard the clicking noise again. It kept getting louder and louder thurout my ride. Like i say it was fine before taking it in, now they look at me like im nuts when i go back, please help, could it be the bearings, havnt even ridden it much, just a few street rides. Somehow i think the shop i got it from is just a bunch of kids that doesnt know what they are doing! Any suggestions?

I have noticed a similar clicking noise on my 04 dawgmatic too. Comes and goes.

How are your breaks on the dawgmatic (I assume you have avid mech-disc). It seems I have to adjust the alignment on mine every ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    They make squeaking noises but it comes and goes, how do you adjust the brakes?

mtbr member
    If you have Avid Mechs you should not have to adjust them after every ride. It's my understanding that the Dawgmatic came with crappy Shimano Mechanical Discs not Avid. If this is so, then yes, you will have to adjust your brakes often.

As far as the click, im sorry it's one of those things thats tough to tell if you can't hear it in person.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Guys, I have and 05 DAWG Primo. Check if the noise is coming from your seat post. Try removing it and cleaning it and the inner surface of the seat tube. Maybe a little grease too. I know after I clean mine I get a clicking noise. I first thought it was a suspension creak but found it wouldn't do it when I was out of the saddle. As soon as I whipe down the seat post and seat tube the noise goes away for a while.

Untalented ,but keen...
    Not sure if this is what it's called in english ,but it might be the monoblock(hope you guys know wich part I'm talking about?) ,I noticed that it gets loose on Konas (well at least on my Shred and my bro's Dawg) ,then some sand and dirt gets in ,making the clicking noise when you pedal.

It usually happens after 4-500 kms.