mtbr member

2004 Kikapu Tire/Fork Question

I have a 2004 Kona Kikapu and I was wondering what size tire will fit on my "stock" wheels? I think it is 1.95 but I am not sure. I am interested in a good XC tire and I am looking at the Panaracer Fire XC. What size Fires will fit my bike? Thanks for the help!

Also, on the front "coil" shock, I was wondering if there was a chance that it could be "over" turned, ie, the tabs being turned down or up too much? I am fairly new to MTB and I was wondering what a good XC setup is as far as front and rear shock (fox coil).
    Do I want to turn the tabs all the way down, half way or not turn at all? Thanks for the help!!

mtbr member
    also, keeping within my bikes specs, what are some possibilities as far as a Fork Upgrade is concerned? I would like to eventually get a new Marzocchi or Fox Fork. What are some models that would be good XC forks for this XC bike?

Also, for Kikapu owners and others, what are some other upgrades that really make a difference? I am in the process of adding Time ATAC XS pedals and looking to get new tires...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You can use any width tire that will fit in the frame/fork. The Fire XC 2.1 is no problem. You should be able to go bigger if you want.

Be aware than all "2.1" tires (or any other width) are not the same width. Check my tire site for details.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Fork Upgrades

I also have a 2004 Kikapu. I just upgraded the fork to a Rock Shox Duke Race. It was definitely a good change. Being an air fork, it is much lighter than the spring fork that came on it. The fork also has lockout and more adjustments than I will ever use.
    The other upgrade I would suggest would be the wheelset. This is my next change. The hub that is on the wheelset that came with the bike is cheap and heavy (already replaced 3 cones on the hubs in 2 years). Try and find a wheelset with at least xt hubs and a lighter rim.
    Take care,
    ***CRASH ***
    2 arms...
    2 legs...
    1 head....
    Check....
    SWEET!

mtbr member
    my only real problem at this moment is my front derailleur rubbing against the chain. I have had it adjusted and I may just upgrade to an XT FD. What size works and is it a top or bottom pull?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    my only real problem at this moment is my front derailleur rubbing against the chain. I have had it adjusted and I may just upgrade to an XT FD. What size works and is it a top or bottom pull?
    If it is rubbing in the "low" position you need to reset the cable to allow the derailleur move in far enough.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    also, keeping within my bikes specs, what are some possibilities as far as a Fork Upgrade is concerned? I would like to eventually get a new Marzocchi or Fox Fork. What are some models that would be good XC forks for this XC bike?

Also, for Kikapu owners and others, what are some other upgrades that really make a difference? I am in the process of adding Time ATAC XS pedals and looking to get new tires...
    I've got a 130 Vanilla R on my Kikapu, its worlds better than the MZ Comp or whatever that came on the bike. Racer boys might whine about the HA being too slack though.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    any others have fork and tire recommendations??

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    I have an 04 King Kikapu with a 80mm SID World Cup on it, a NoTubes disc wheel set with Tioga Red Phoenix 1.95 tires, SRAM X0/X9 drive train, 04 XT cranks, King headset, Avid Juicy 7 disc brakes, Easton carbon bar, Truvativ alum. seat post, Eggbeater pedals & Fox Pro-Pedal air rear shock. This set up weighs in at about 23.5 lbs. I've had it for about a week and half now and I absolutely love it. I raced it this weekend for about 8 hours in the Pisgah NF (some very rugged terrain)...zero complains and nothing but praise. It climbs like a goat and the handling is very nimble.

Eddie O