mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2001.5 Stinky Five Seat Stay

I've got a 2001.5 Special Edition Stinky Five (still the 5" model).
    Anybody got a spare seat stay laying around--that isn't broke like mine

2nd time in a similar spot. The small tab on the seat stay break where it bolts onto the chain stay. I sure wish they would beef those up.

Gonna' call Kona on Monday and hope they have one they can send--I'm supposed to leave for Santa Cruz, CA on June 19th for a 3 week MTB trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    HOLY COW!!! Just got off the phone with Kona. They've got a seat stay. Gonna overnite it to me. That's the good news. The bad news is they want $300 USD for it. Does that sound outrageous to you guys? It should be under warranty and when I send the broken part back I'll get my money back on the part but that price seems way out of line to me.

Oh well. At least I'll be able to make my trip as scheduled.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    HOLY COW!!! Just got off the phone with Kona. They've got a seat stay. Gonna overnite it to me. That's the good news. The bad news is they want $300 USD for it. Does that sound outrageous to you guys? It should be under warranty and when I send the broken part back I'll get my money back on the part but that price seems way out of line to me.

Oh well. At least I'll be able to make my trip as scheduled.
    so basically you are paying up front and they will decide if your part is under warranty or not, and then refund you if they determine it is. yeah 300 seems kinda steep. hopefulyl you wont have problems out of the new one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redstar
    so basically you are paying up front and they will decide if your part is under warranty or not, and then refund you if they determine it is. yeah 300 seems kinda steep. hopefulyl you wont have problems out of the new one.
    You got it. Pay now, so I don't have to wait to ship mine back, let them examine it, then wait again while they ship a replacement. Since I leave on Sunday I didn't want to wait. We'll sort the warranty part out later and they said they'd refund my money if it's covered. This is the 2nd time it's broken in a similar place and they warrantied the last one. Hopefully they warranty this one too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Deelux Becoming Supreme
    Apr 2005
    Actually I would say you got off fairly normal, I broke my shock bolt and ended up bending one of my rocker plates. So instead of buying one plate like i needed, I had to buy 2 for the low low price of $330 when all said and done. I think I could have made one for around 50 bucks. But I like original parts so I had to pony up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

I woulda posted sooner but I was having too much fun on my trip. Kona warrantied the stay. Thanks to Ed and the guys at Kona for getting the replacement sent out quickly enough that I could enjoy my vacation.