mtbr member

2001.5 Stinky Five Limited Edition?

I posted this in an old thread in the DH/FR section but didn't get much action, and searching here didn't help much either. So here goes the crosspost:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz541 View Post
    I'm in the process of getting a maroon 2001.5 (?) Stinky Five. Is this the one known as "limited edition?" Looks just like this but a larger frame:

This will be my heavy duty XC/AM bike. Little to no FR/DH at all. It's been partially upgraded with a Manitou Drake and Mavic wheels. I'd like to eventually add a little more travel and drop some weight - I'd love to get it under 30# if possible (hard to do without $$$$) or at least a lot closer to 30#.

As for the travel - I'm thinking of adding an air/platform shock of slightly longer E2E and stroke. I believe the stock leverage ratio is 2.5:1 on a 7.875 x 2.0.

2.5:1 x 2.0 = 5 inches travel (stock)
    2.5:1 x 2.25 = 5.625 inches travel (numerous Specialized take-off shocks)
    2.5:1 x 2.5 = 6.25 inches travel >>> would require 8.0 x 2.5 shock.

8.0 E2E - 7.875 E2E = .125 longer shock x 2.5 ratio = pushes rear axle down .3125, raises BB a bit, but might also help to reduce or prevent bottoming the rear tire into the seat tube.

At some point, I'd also consider a 150-160mm fork like a RS Sektor (so light!!!) which would keep the steering from getting too twitchy and keep the travel balanced. I'm 6'1 240 at the moment, so between my bulk and setting the sag, the small BB elevation should be negligible.

It's an XL frame, so there's a lot of room for longer shocks and travel. My only concern would be the upper shock / forward link pivot might travel too far and curve back into the seat tube or the rate could start to drop too much at the end of the stroke (though that might be an advantage with a progressive air shock...).

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know the original component spec for this bike? Looks like a Marzocchi EXR, Hayes 9's, maybe XT/LX tranny, etc. What about bike weight?

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Erg, not sure where I got the idea that there are 8.0 x 2.5 shocks out there.

Looks like it's 7.875 x 2.25 or 8.5 x 2.5.

8.5 x 2.5 would raise the BB quite a bit - .625 x 2.5 = 1.5625 drop at the rear axle and approximate corresponding rise at the BB.

So I'm thinking 7.875 x 2.25 set on the firmer side for XC / AM at 5.625" travel would be better for my purposes than 6.25" travel set up with more sag or a towering BB.

* scratches chin *

Life Is Short
    you wrote:
    It's an XL frame, so there's a lot of room for longer shocks and travel. My only concern would be the upper shock / forward link pivot might travel too far and curve back into the seat tube or the rate could start to drop too much at the end of the stroke (though that might be an advantage with a progressive air shock...).

thats not true, where did you hear that? anyways I hope its selling at a low price because thats an old bike. I have a 99 stinky deluxe and the rear is 5" with a 7.875 x 2.25 fox van.
    If you up the stroke you are asking for trouble. I talked to the guy at Cambria bike.com where I bought the frame last year (clearance) he said the bike was designed for that size
    shock and modifying is not recommended. However you can put up to a 160mm fork as the headtube is beefy enough. Just dont mess with the rear shock size. Here is my kona stinky--retro. Old but new. Good luck on your decision

heres a guideline for that bike

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...-Lux&Type=bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001.5 Stinky Five Limited Edition?-p4pb6273107.jpg  

Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Eh, I was just speculating about the forward pivot colliding with the frame. I guess the more likely scenario is the tire rubbing the back of the seat tube. I'll ride it for a while and see how it does, then do some cardboard prototyping if I decide I need to fool with it.

mtbr member
    And yeah, it's a good price with the recent upgrades on teh bike. I'll update if/when I get it in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You must be a tall guy to be riding a XL. I've got a 2002 primo thats a 17" with a 170mm 2004 marzocchi Super Tand 7" travel rear danger boy plates with an Avalanche DHS rear shock.

Instead of getting a longer shock you may want to see if you can find some BETD or old Danger Boy linkage plates, should be good for another 1-2" of travel. Don't know how long an air shock will last out back, always felt that air shocks were more XC and coils more DH.

Here is a link to the linkage plates, keep in mind more travel will make your shock feel much softer.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...+Travel+Plates

mtbr member
    Update: I got the bike.

No way it's an XL, 99% sure it's a large or a big medium, which is fine.

Fork is a 2009 or 2010 Manitou Drake 130mm in apparently excellent condition. Rear shock appears to be the original VanR with a 600# spring. The wheels are CrossRide Discs with MotoRaptor 2.4's. Almost everything else appears stock. The seatpost was cut, so I'm buying a longer one for XC rides. I may throw a 203mm rotor on the front and get a shorter stem.

Other than that, I'm going to live with it for a while, fiddle with the suspension settings and see how it goes. No need for linkage plates - I'd rather invest in a newer platform shock with similar travel than dump $220 (after shipping from the UK) in travel plates on a bike this old. It will be a heavy (and how) XC / AM bike, so I'm not worried about destroying an air shock downhilling.

Price was $450. Unless something falls apart, I'm a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    $450 is a helluva deal, looks to be in great shape! If you're looking for a platform shock I've had great luck upgrading my old bikes to the 2009 RP2's and 23's. The only thing you need to look for is the comression and rebound settings which are stickers on the sides fo the shocks just above the seals. These are not adjustable unless you send it to PUSH for some serious coin. On my 2009 5" travel Dawg it came with a medium rebound (great) but high compression (great for drops, terrible for sensitivity). The high compression tune was so bad that the propedal lever did nothing as there was no bob with it on or off. Had to run a very low pressure for it to feel plush, but that sagged to much. Ended up selling it to a guy that needed a shock to PUSH. Replaced it with a medium comression/rebound tuned rear fox RP23 and its perfect. Super plush for hardcore rocky rooty fast XC. The Propedal lever now makes a huge difference, sag is correct. If I want to do drops and jumps, 10-20psi adds that extra bottom out prevention that I need.I picked up a used RP2 for $120 and an RP23 for $180 (new ) both 2009 models.

My older Kona I replaced the ols Fox RL with a 2009 RP2 with medium compression/rebound. Works just like the RP23 without the 3 propedal settings, just one. That one feels just like the #2 setting I've been riding with on my Dawg's RP23.

The only difference between the RP23 and the RP2 is the RP23 has 3 propedal settings and sells for quite a bit more, while the RP2 has only 1 propedal setting. Both shocks also have a OFF position for propedal which is used for going back down or when you arent climbing. Both shocks feel light years ahead of any Vanilla or older non propedal Float I've used.

Keep in mind I'm only 165lbs, so if you're 20+ lbs more than me or like to do drops and jumps all day the high compression may be more your setting.

On a side note, pay attention to the bearings above the bottom bracket, if they are ridden in poor condition they can wallow out the frame causing damage that's not repairable. If you feel any motion in those bearings replace them before they damage the frame. I'm afraid my 2002 stinky primo frame is worn out due to my lack of attention to these bearings. Damn you Whistler!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I was thinking I'd pick up a takeoff RP2 from a Specialized bike, drop a half pound or so, and get another half inch of travel while I'm at it. I'll be careful to look for the damping bias.

I have about 80 pounds on you. But I'm not going to be slamming Whistler, Highland or anything else like that more than once or twice a year, if even that. Heavy trail riding only, small drops and rolldowns, minor circus stunts, etc. I'm 40 with kids and a mortgage - nothing to prove. The rear end is a little bit flexy compared to new bikes (I had a Pitch last year), but there's no slop in any of the pivots. I will keep an eye on them though.

The bike is in very good shape for its age - a few shiny cable scars on the paint, a few chips, everything seems to work fine. The CrossRide wheels are no doubt lighter than the OEM (Ditch Witch?) wheelset, but the bike, especially the rear end, still feels like a tank. I'll probably get smaller tires at some point, but I'll try the Motos for a while - I've always liked the design.

The stem! The stem looks like it could be mounted on the USS Missouri and fire shells. It's so long and so rugged at the same time. That will also go.