What Would Happen?

2000 Humu rear spacing? (big pic sorry)

I recently picked up this little pretty on the bay.

Was just wondering though, does anyone know what spacing the rear triangle is supposed to be? I measure 126mm, a friend tells me 135mm, doesnt look bent..... and i cant find too much on it on the web.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    My Humuhumukukunukuapua'a (practice saying the name. It is fun and impresses people ) is 120 or 125 mm. I have stuffed a 135 mm hub in it.

A good LBS can cold set the frame to whatever hub width you want and make sure it is aligned.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

What Would Happen?
    120 or 125 hah Following the instructions on Sheldon Brown's site, i've re-set it to 135mm and its within 1mm straight left/right, and the dropouts are within about 2mm of parallel. Do you think this is acceptable?

I'm thinking of following the steps of SlowerThanSnot and going the cyclocross route...

Quote Originally Posted by spuddy
    120 or 125 hah Following the instructions on Sheldon Brown's site, i've re-set it to 135mm and its within 1mm straight left/right, and the dropouts are within about 2mm of parallel. Do you think this is acceptable?

I'm thinking of following the steps of SlowerThanSnot and going the cyclocross route...
    Go to a shop and have the dropouts aligned. You can break axles if you don't.

Slower's bike is not really a 'cross bike. Fixed gear. Can not use a rear brake with 700c wheels. Do use a front brake.
    mtbtires.com

What Would Happen?
    It's kinda hard.... can one call it a 29er if its got skinny tyres? I think fixed/free with big wheels and a front disc would be verrry nice.

Quote Originally Posted by spuddy
    It's kinda hard.... can one call it a 29er if its got skinny tyres? I think fixed/free with big wheels and a front disc would be verrry nice.
    I don't go there, but while the rear tire is a 700x44 the front is a Conti Vapor 28(29)x2.1.
    Way bigger than 'cross tires.
    mtbtires.com

What Would Happen?
    True. I think i might call it a ninercross maybe. Tyre size in the back will be the only problem; i think fat-in-the-front will be purdy.