mtbr member
    Apr 2009

1994 Explosif frame size?

I'm trying to confirm my 1994 Explosif frame size. I purchased it used from a Kona dealer back in 1995. The BB to seat collar is 17.5", the stem is 110mm. Is this an 18"? Thing i,s it has 170mm cranks and I'm looking to replace the crank set with correct oem. I'm trying to keep the bike on spec. According the spec sheet the 18" had 175mm cranks and the 16" had 170mm cranks. So which frame do I have? Any insight is appreciated
    Thanks
    -mw
    Last edited by speedbump49; 04-29-2012 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump49 View Post
    I'm trying to confirm my 1994 Explosif frame size. I purchased it used from a Kona dealer back in 1995. The BB to seat collar is 17.5", the stem is 110mm. Is this an 18"? Thing i,s it has 170mm cranks and I'm looking to replace the crank set with correct oem. I'm trying to keep the bike on spec. According the spec sheet the 18" had 175mm cranks and the 16" had 170mm cranks. So which frame do I have? Any insight is appreciated
    Thanks
    -mw
    If the stem is 11cm c-c and the head tube is also 11cm and the cranks are 170, that is all consistent with a size 17.

Size 17 was made and sold in the US and some other markets, but for a good while the only catalogue on the web was a UK copy, which didn't show size 17 as they didn't import size 17 into the UK back then. A scan of the 1994 US catalogue has now been made and a copy is included here (on the Kona history page).

I'm afraid you might not like the build though, as it isn't very period-correct!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the link. I have saved it in my favorites. Have you measured from BB to seat collor on yours? What do you get? Mine is 17.5" so do you agree I have a 17? If so I will pull the trigger on 170mm crank set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    In my experience, Konas come out pretty much exactly to the inch, as measured from the centre of the bb shell to the top of the seat tube. You have to make allowance for the top of the seat clamp being slightly higher than the top of the tube, but that should only be a tenth or so if it's on properly. I would suggest that you measure again with that in mind.

I could tell you what size your bike is if you posted a photograph of it, but if you haven't got one handy, one sign of the difference between 17 and 18 is that on the 18 the seat stay is parallel to the down tube, whereas on the 17 the seat stay is slightly shallower. I hope that is visible in these two photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1994 Explosif frame size?-1998-explosif-frame-size-17.jpg  

1994 Explosif frame size?-1996-explosif-frame-size-18.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks so much for helping. Here's a picture of my kit in it 's current glory.
    Let me know what you think 17 or 18?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1994 Explosif frame size?-dsc07450.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I think that's a 17, although I must say that in this case a shallower seat stay angle isn't so apparent, but other indicators point to 17. Incidentally, the top tube length of a 17 measured centre to centre along the tube (not horizontally) is 55cm. On an 18 it's 56.2cm.

I thought you wanted to stay oem! That fork is way longer than what Joe Murray had in mind, but I do think you've done exactly the right thing in fitting a shorter stem to counteract the slacker head angle. Pretty much what Kona themselves did c2006 when they started to put 100mm forks on Kulas etc. The only thing I would change is the rear brake. All a question of taste obviously, but I bias towards the rear brake quite a lot in the interests of stability and control, so I couldn't work happily with a disc front/canti rear set up. I think you'll struggle to find an oem Sugino crank. New rings would be much more feasible, but most replacement rings nowadays are Shimano-pattern, and you don't see Sugino-pattern rings so often.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks, I think I'll settle on it being a 17. As for the fork, I have theProject 2 front end from 1994 including handle bars brakes rim and headset. This year will likely be the last year for this bike to be my primary off road ride. Thanks for you support.
    Cheers