mtbr member

18" 2006 Lisa DS too small for my wife?

My wife and I have decided that her 5" AM style bike is just overkill for the type of riding we do. It makes more sense to buy a new bike than to try and trim down her 36 lb beast into something that's a more capable ascender. She really likes the new Lisa DS (its a very pretty blue color ) and she knows how much I love my mildly upgraded 2005 Kikapu.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...4&parentid=253

It looks like the only differnece between the Lisa DS and the Kikapu Deluxe are the saddle, shorter stem, and lighter fork springs. She doesn't really need the latter two, but I'm sure we could work out an even swap for the stuff off the men's version at the LBS. They're always been very good to us.

So, even if we put a longer stem on that bike, do you think the 18" (biggest they make) will be too small for someone her size (she's 5' 10.75" tall)?

Thanks folks,

Ian

What's that smell?
    I dunno about her sizing, but I would drop that MZIII pig of a fork into the nearest dumpster ASAP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phxartboy
    I dunno about her sizing, but I would drop that MZIII pig of a fork into the nearest dumpster ASAP.
    Yeah, I've got a slightly nicer air fork that we could slap on it as soon as it came home, assuming the steerer tube is long enough. It's not much nicer, but a little. It's a new take-off 100mm Manitou Splice Elite w/ rebound adjust. Still heavy, but maybe 1/4 - 1/2 pound less.

Note that she's still really a beginner and doesn't need race quality stuff, but I do feel bad about her trying to muscle around her current bohemoth while I zip through the woods ahead of her.

I can't wait to upgrade my OWN fork (Marz MZ Comp) off my 2005, now that my skills have progressed enough to where I can almost justify that Reba I want.

What's that smell?
    I love my REBA:

(Note the unused MZIII in background from my 06 Kikapu that was eventually given away to be used as a beater street fork)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phxartboy
    I love my REBA:
    Mmmmm......sexy.

I just checked the geometries of the two bikes, and even though her current IronHorse Warrior Pro DS is a 19" frame, the ETT length is only .15" longer than the 18" Kona Lisa DS. That's only 3.81mm and can be fixed with saddle position and stem length, no problem. I think I might price one of these things out tonight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hallin222
    Mmmmm......sexy.

I just checked the geometries of the two bikes, and even though her current IronHorse Warrior Pro DS is a 19" frame, the ETT length is only .15" longer than the 18" Kona Lisa DS. That's only 3.81mm and can be fixed with saddle position and stem length, no problem. I think I might price one of these things out tonight.
    And notice that it has a pretty short stem. That could be changed to suit her if necessary.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    how bloody tall is your wife im 6.3 and ride a 19 inch our lass is 5.2 and im getting her a 16 inch frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    how bloody tall is your wife im 6.3 and ride a 19 inch our lass is 5.2 and im getting her a 16 inch frame
    She's over 5'10", almost 5'11".

I'm 6'3" and ride a 20" Kikapu with a 120mm stem.

thecentralscrutinizer
    She should be okay with the 18". Not all women fall into the "women specific" catagory either. My wife rides a regular frame just the next size smaller than a comparable sized guy.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    i would say 17 inch then

mtbr member
    i would say 17 inch then
    You've GOT to be kidding. The ETT on her current AM bike is about 23.25", I think. And she's certainly going to want something a little longer and lower for XC.

She here for 2006 Kona geometry:

http://www.konaworld.com/tech/techni...6_Geometry.pdf

17" Kikapu's and Lisa DS, ETT = 22.6"
    18" Kikapu's and Lisa DS, ETT = 23.1"
    19" Kikapu's and Lisa DS, ETT = 23.6"

The 17" is WAY too small for someone that's 5'11" tall. It's definately between the 18" Lisa DS (so she can get the girlier color blue) or the 19" Kikapu Deluxe (in the darker blue).

I'm going to see if my LBS has any 18" or 19" duallies in stock so she can get a better idea on feel during some test rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My wife is 5'9.5 and ride my old 19" Kikapu with a 100mm stem. Fits her great. The 18 would def. be too small for your wife.

Women specific seems appropriate only if they're shorter than 5'6".

mtbr member
    sorry i still disagree my buddy is the same height and i would recomend a 17 to him aswell the same as you are 6,3 and ride a 20 inch i am also 6,3 and tried a 20 inch and it was just way to big its your money at the end of the day why not let your wife try the 17 also as she is the one riding it

mtbr member
    why not let your wife try the 17 also as she is the one riding it
    True. A lot of it is just personal preference. I love my 20" (with 120mm stem), and think I could comfortably ride a 21" with a shorter (100-110mm) stem, and you think its uncomfotably big for our height. She'll probably try as many size frames, stems, bars, saddles, seatposts as it take to get the right fit. Ultimately it's up to her, I just wanted to give her a idea of where to start her search.

Regardless of what size she chooses, i know she's going to appreciate the immediate 4-5 lb weight reduction of the new bike.