mtbr member
    Apr 2008

07 dawg owners question

so i own an 07 dawg supreme and i'm having an issue with the chain coming up and getting stuck under the sprockets while riding...

where the paint is all scratched is where the chain gets stuck and rubs.. anyone else having this problem or just me? it's been happening about once an outing...

it's not when i'm shifting, just riding around, going uphill, going downhill, flat land.. it's happened on them all. and i'm just wondering if this is a common issue or not

mtbr member
    Its called chain suck. Common issue on a lot of full suspension bikes. It has plagued my Dawg Primo since new.
    A couple tips to help out -

Shorten your chain a couple links. Some guys run their chain so short they can not run big chain ring to big cassette gear without damage. I don't go that far because I run the big chain ring all the time.
    Put a little more tension on your rear derailluer.
    Wrap your chainstay with something to protect it. I used an old inner tube split open and wrapped around the chainstay. Some guys use electrical tape. Lighter, but minimal on protection.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

person
    If you swap for a bashgaurd in place of your big ring, you won't have the chain suck issues.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Bashgaurds are for guys that hate going REALLY fast

All of my chain suck issues have been between the mid ring and granny gear, usually making a shift into the granny.
    How would a bash gaurd fix that??
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

person
    hey I get plenty fast on my Dawg w/ a Bash

But... I had assumed that was the problem because on my current set up w/ a bash I've never had chain suck. My dawg is an 06, but I'm almost certain the rear triangle is the same. Check how much slack you have when your in your largest gears front and back. Also, check to see how many spacers you have between the drive side of the BB and the frame.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    it seems to have decent tension, but i'll try taking a link or two out and see how that works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've got an 06 dawg and had that problem. I put on a new middle chainring which helped cut down on it. I also wrapped it with hockey tape and then took a couple of zip ties and put on it...that gave it more toughness. Since that it has only happenned a couple of times and the zip ties really kept it from digging into the paint/metal. jd

Black Lion
    I bet your middle chainring is bent somewhere

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    this always happend on my dawg, i hated it, dropped my 3rd ring, and put a e.13 drs on so im running a 2-ring setup.
    i havent had any issues in my drivetrain since
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i thought the middle chain ring got bent too, i knocked off a tooth awhile back going over some rocks.. checked it a couple times it doesn't look bent though. (and one tooth missing shouldn't really cause a problem) i took out a couple links and so far the chain suck hasn't been a problem since. let's hope that fixed it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had the same problem. The shop where I bought it tried the chain and the rivets on the rear of the outer ring ( which is why everyone is saying to replace with a bash guard).

Kona suggested a thinner shim in the crank set. I had that done and have not had the problem since.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had the same problem and went back to the dealer who sold me the bike and told him "every time I shift from middle ring to the small ring when I am going up hill the chain sucks and get caught". He told me not to shift down on the hill and I don't anymore and haven't had a lick of problems. My legs have gotten in a lot better shape as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hmmm, 07 Dawg deluxe worries?

Hello all, I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm almost done with my ahem, xc dawg deluxe build, and when I was installing my crankset (08 m770 XT 22,32,44), I was thinking that there was no way the chain was going to clear in the granny ring up front. It seems like the drive side chain stay is wider than the diameter of the small ring up front. I may just be paranoid though as this is my first full sus build. Crankset came with 3 spacers, and per the instructions, I have 2 on the right and 1 on the left. Note; I am still waiting on my front deraileur, and I don't want to "break" my chain more than once if necessary.
    Also, has anyone used one of those chain length calculators? I tried one, and it came up with a 55 link length, which is almost half of what the wrap big to big and overlap two method comes up with. Chain is brand new and 114 link length. When I do the wrap, it seems I'll need to remove 4 links to have optimum length. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. I'll post a pic and specs when it's done. Thanks.

hmmmm
    if what was previously mentioned doesn't work...

replace the ring you smashed and check the links in your chain for bent or stiff ones. also, guides like the e.13 DRS or the cheaper blackspire ones usually knock out any chain suck problems, as well as eliminating dropped chains(always a +)

good luck, I had issues on my stinky and it was a bent ring + a bent link(caused by the bent ring) replaced both and haven't had a prob since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I know this won't help many but it may cause someone to look towards drivetrain setup. Be sure that your wheel is centered and also pay attention to your H/L limit settings on your derailleurs. If you changed from the original crankset, you can bet you need to space the bb on one side. As well, ensure that you space the correct side. If all else fails, have a LBS check your chainline and your rings. Nobody should accept this as 'usual' and shops deal with these issues daily.

I hope that helps at least one rider,
    A.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't want to wander from the OP's question but in response to the 'bash ring' chatter, I have a Blackspire lexan ring that allows me to keep my big chain ring. I'm sure it saved a few teeth when riding the really rocky stuff from time to time. I have the same big ring that the bike was made with in 2004 (largely due to the 'Big Ring' by Blackspire)...
    Oh yeah... I go plenty fast with it too....
    A.

Members who have read this thread: 0