Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

07 Coiler Deluxe Frame...

hey all,
    i allowed a xxl coiler deluxe slip through my fingers @ $1700 used...currently i am in the market for a 20" (xxl) deluxe frame...any suggestions...???

Cracker
    i bought a frame from wheelworld with dhx 4.0 for 699
    sweet bike just a little heavy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what size...xxl...xl...l...med...sm...?
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

Do it all or nothing
    There still on sale there if you'd like here is the link, http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=4959.

Its a great platform. Only thing is its heavy so try getting light weight specs on the bike to make it easier on the climb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i am thinking about getting the same frame. the price is seemingly unbeatable. i ride a trek liquid 20 and am looking for a new rig to ride. i love having the 5.25", which the coiler has .75" more, of suspension that that has so i am thinking about the coiler deelux frame. can i make this thing come in around 33- 34 lbs without breaking the bank? i need something that can handle all aspects of a technical trail so im looking for a good all mountain bike.

Do it all or nothing
    Try going to all the hotdeal sites on mtbr (wheelwolrd, beyond bikes, pricepoint)and build it up musing there clearance stuff. Like check out this wheel set, shimano saint hubs and mavic rims for 200...http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/147...-Disc-Rims.htm... then this saint rear dereailler for 25...http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rlr+135Mm.aspx... the shimao saint brakes 59$ ... http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...isc+Brake.aspx

Search and the deals get smokin. I you need any help to find the best dealsI'd be more than glad to help...kind of a hobby since i'm looking to upgrade my set up

mtbr member
    Here is a Coiler Deluxe 07 I just built up (it is still waiting on a few parts, crankset, seatpost and such, and a stiffer titanium spring, as soon as Obtanium has a new lot), but it climbs great as is, for a 36lb bike (Wotan's travel adjustment and platform adjust helps a lot with that)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Here is a Coiler Deluxe 07 I just built up (it is still waiting on a few parts, crankset, seatpost and such, and a stiffer titanium spring, as soon as Obtanium has a new lot), but it climbs great as is, for a 36lb bike (Wotan's travel adjustment and platform adjust helps a lot with that)

this looks like a great bike. how are things like brake jack and such? i have a traditional 4 bar on the liquid right now and that thing locks up tight when its bumpy and you hit the brakes. also, do you think it would make a good trail/ am bike?

oh yeah, what is wotans travel adj? and im assuming that the platform adjust is propedal?

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhills
    oh yeah, what is wotans travel adj? and im assuming that the platform adjust is propedal?
    Wotan adjusts from 160 ->120, via a remote on the bars. The Platform is called Albert Select and it's more similiar to Motion Control, it's a compression adjust that can adjusted from plush to lockout.

Do it all or nothing
    Mind giving us some illustration... kinda lost on how that works...SICK set up though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    Wotan adjusts from 160 ->120, via a remote on the bars. The Platform is called Albert Select and it's more similiar to Motion Control, it's a compression adjust that can adjusted from plush to lockout.
    What he said - and platform can be turned off and on with a knob - or with an optional remote.

So far I like Wotan in short travel setting over Lyric 2Step, 55 ATA and TALAS. Excellent fork for this application.

I am switching to a 2x9 (22/36 front) setup with a E13 DRS chainguide/bashguard to do the justice to its rough trail capabilities. Will need to lighten it up elsewhere. It climbs really well for such a burly bike - DHX platform also helps. Very balanced feel with Wotan.

Do it all or nothing
    Still wtf is wotan besides the travel adjust. A link or brand would be helpful
    Last edited by headstrong356; 10-15-2008 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by headstrong356
    Still wtf is wotan besides the travel adjust. A link would be helpful
    Wotan is a brand of 160mm travel "fork" made by the Magura company in Germany. That is the olive green thing in front of the bike on the picture I have posted. It has two tubes between which you attach the front wheel (the round thing covered in nobby rubber). It allows the wheel to rotate and at the same time to bounce up and down - up to 160mm (about 6 inches, or a small penis length), but not sideways, so you can steer the bike.

This "fork" has a feature called "flight control" or "travel adjust" that allows it to be temporarly compressed by an extra 40mm (almost 2 inches).

Last edited by Broccoli; 10-15-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Do it all or nothing

Upset

I know what a bloody fork is ... I'm a F_cking mechanic ... just a bit unfamilliar with the name wotan( fox + talas... Marzocchi+ ata... rockshox+u turn). Now i know it is made by magura( the german company). Thats all i was asking about.Here in Canada we don't now to much about the smaller companies from the other side of the world. Mind you that its sound like a sweet fork... if I researched it properly, i understand it has lock out with both high/low speed dampening . How much does it cost
    Last edited by headstrong356; 10-15-2008 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    I know what a bloody fork is ... I'm a F_cking mechanic ... just a bit unfamilliar with the name wotan( fox + talas... Marzocchi+ ata... rockshox+u turn). Now i know it is made by magura( the german company). Thats all i was asking about.Here in Canada we don't now to much about the smaller companies from the other side of the world. Mind you that sound like a sweet fork... if I researched it properly, i understand it has lock out with both high/low speed dampening . How much does it cost
    using a site called google.. i entered "magura wotan" and sure enough.. the very first hit was...

http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/frameset.htm

amazingly enough.. google shopping also had numerous hits.. with more than 20 results.. http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

Do it all or nothing

No good

No SH+T sherlock... I don't think theres a person on the planet who doesn't know how to use google. I was just looking for a price in canadian dollars since most of it was in pounds and american. But then again screw it since I see a lack of maturity coming along when people decide to smart ass pricks rather than helpfull.

PS... FLMIke, if you didn't notice the first metion of wotan being related to magura was the post before yours ...so mayby the result of my question (the post) got me to use google without computers for dummies and cause me to write: it has lock out with both high/low speed dampening

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    its exactly like the IT system i have on my manitou minute 3. even down to the handlebar mounted control. its extremely useful. my main concern about the coiler is the weight of it. an all mountain bike thats close to 40 lbs is a little much. i know i could spec lighter components but to what end? that would break the wallet.

Chillin the Most
    No SH+T sherlock... I don't think theres a person on the planet who doesn't know how to use google. I was just looking for a price in canadian dollars since most of it was in pounds and american. But then again screw it since I see a lack of maturity coming along when people decide to smart ass pricks rather than helpfull.

PS... FLMIke, if you didn't notice the first metion of wotan being related to magura was the post before yours ...so mayby the result of my question (the post) got me to use google without computers for dummies and cause me to write: it has lock out with both high/low speed dampening
    Here is a little review from the Canadian boys...http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Magura-...view-2008.html , just to give you a little bit more info, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mind you that sound like a sweet fork... if I researched it properly, i understand it has lock out with both high/low speed dampening . How much does it cost
    Sorry, I could not resist - I thought you had been banned from Google.

Yes, it is a very nice fork, it is actually a bit cheaper then TALAS 36 or Lyric and I did prefer it to both after I had a chance to compare (not for too long). But reviews had been equally good. I bought on Ebay for about half retail with a cut steerer but no sign of any usage. I got a rare color. They are offered for about $800. There are no big changes in 2009. 2008 is improved compared with 2007 - they improved damping.

mtbr member
    its exactly like the IT system i have on my manitou minute 3. even down to the handlebar mounted control. its extremely useful. my main concern about the coiler is the weight of it. an all mountain bike thats close to 40 lbs is a little much. i know i could spec lighter components but to what end? that would break the wallet.
    I have it very moderately spec'ed, and it is about 36/37 pounds at the moment - and that is with a low end wheelset - (but 2.1 tires). Total cost of the bike was well under $2K with everything bought off Ebay.

(XT brakes/rotors (203/160) and shifters and derailleurs, LX cranks (to be replaced with 22/36 SLX with E13 DLS guide), Thompson stem and seat post (get 30.0 while they are there..), Rondine saddle, Wotan fork, Deore/Singletrack wheels, Schwalbe tires)

I think I will upgrade a few parts here and there, and eventually get a nicer set of wheels and have it under 35.

I have done a fair bit of climbing on it - and it does not seem to be a problem at all.

Do it all or nothing
    Thanks... it okay, i like jokes to. That half the fun of forums. Just FLMike guy pissed me off since isn't exactly a KONA regular and seem to be looking for trouble... But all in all "LOL".
    By the way does it have lockout with high/low speed compression/rebound?

mtbr member
    Thanks... it okay, i like jokes to. That half the fun of forums. Just FLMike guy pissed me off since isn't exactly a KONA regular and seem to be looking for trouble... But all in all "LOL".
    By the way does it have lockout with high/low speed compression/rebound?
    They call this "Albert select" and it has a tunable level of platform that can be turned on and off with a switch or an optional second remote (I prefer switch). It also has a rebound adjuster on the bottom of a leg.

Here is a graph explaining the Albert Select adjustment range - so you can have selectable compression curve - either open, or within the adjustment range. I found that I set it to about 30% and engage it together with adjusting travel down for climbing - or when I need to tune brake dive down on descend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    can you run an air shock, like a dhx air or marz roco? there is a killer deal on coiler frames at wheelworld right now and im trying to see if i can lighten her up a bit for am riding.

Chillin the Most
    can you run an air shock, like a dhx air or marz roco? there is a killer deal on coiler frames at wheelworld right now and im trying to see if i can lighten her up a bit for am riding.
    Of course, not a problem. As a matter of fact that is exactly what I did with my 07 Coiler, Roco Air TST R.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    could you post up a pick of your coiler? whats it weigh and how does it handle? im going to be pedalling a decent amount so im looking for something that can handle rough trail, both ups and downs, and not kill me with the weight.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast