mtbr member
    Dec 2010

'06 Kona Dawg Deluxe CC racing?

I'm just getting back into mountain bikes after about 12 years on the road. Was on MTBR.com back when it started on '95 or so before this forum exsisted. I do want to start racing again. My past dual suspension bikes are a '95 Kona Sex Too and '96 King Kikapu that I had down to 23 pounds. Back in the day, three inches of travel was the standard for cross country. More than that was considered too much. I have a chance to buy a virtually unridden '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe for $400, with upgraded saddle, post and bars. Would this be a good choice for an amateur racer with that amount of suspension travel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It might be a little much travel wise for cross country racing, but by today's standards it isn't too far afield. You could probably get it in the 26-28 lb. range easily, which, again, isn't light by today's standards but is plenty light enough by mortal racer standards. Frankly, $400 is too hard to pass up on that much bike.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thats a great deal for an all day trail bike. Its not going to win you any races. Stick to the Kikapu's or Kula's if you want something that is XC race oriented. I have a 96 Sex one (4 bar suspension) and I still prefer that bike over my Dawg for fast paced XC rides. But when I want to start bashing drops and steep rocky & tree laced technical sections the Dawg is where its at.

mtbr member
    The Dawgs are far from an ideal XC racer. However, I have won many races in clydes and sport classes on my 07 Dawg Supreme. Just keep that rear shock pro-pedal on and hammer away.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Pirate!!!
    my buddy just picked up an 06' dawg for a good price,, I noticed that the lower shock mount has two options for mount holes, the shock is mounted to the fwd hole and I was wondering what the piont of the other hole is?? does it change the leverage on the shock? and to what advantage?

mtbr member
    The front hole position is for a linear shock rate, and the rear hole position is for a progressive shock rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    my buddy just picked up an 06' dawg for a good price,, I noticed that the lower shock mount has two options for mount holes, the shock is mounted to the fwd hole and I was wondering what the piont of the other hole is?? does it change the leverage on the shock? and to what advantage?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo
    The front hole position is for a linear shock rate, and the rear hole position is for a progressive shock rate.
    thank you! were do most folks run it?

mtbr member
    Run it linear, then if feeling like the shock is bottoming out on bigger hits move the shock to the progressive position. Think of it as a fine-tuning step.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    thank you! were do most folks run it?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.