mtbr member
    Mar 2005

(05 stinky) what size frame?

Hello, i think i made up my mind on what bike to get, stinky 05. I sat on the medium frame (15.5") and it felt good, but standing flat foot with the frame between my legs it was pretty close to the crotch. I was thinking of ordering the small (15") but he said i would defently have to buy it if he special ordered it.

I am about 5'10"-5'11" and weigh approx 200lbs. I went to konas web site and it said the small rear suspension was good to 450lbs and the rear on the medium was 500lbs.

The salesman said it would be approx 2" lowerer in the crotch going down to a 15" frame cause the whole geometry changes. What do you guys think? I could use a little smaller i think but for my weight maybee i should stick with the medium??????

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Go with the size that feels better when you are riding the bike. Long travel bikes are not known for their great standover height. The '05 Stinkys are much better than the earlier models.

The springs can be changed to fit your weight. The spring rates are not directly related to rider weight. A 450 lb spring meads it takes 450 lbs to compress it one inch. Because of linkages it takes much less body weight to compress the spring.

You may need a heavier spring for either size Stinky. I have an XL '05 Coiler DL, weigh 30lb less than you and the stock spring is perfect for me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do not judge the size by the standover height. With 7" of travel it's got to be tall otherwise you'd be dragging the bottom bracket on the ground at full compression. And a 15.5 sounds small for your height. You need to go by how it feels when you ride it. Does if feel cramped (top-tube too short)? Are you banging your knees on the top clamp? I rode a 16.5 (XL) this weekend and it felt too cramped for me (I'm 6') and would probably go with an XXL because I'd use it as a trail bike too. If all your doing is DH runs and don't have to pedal up the 15.5 may work--otherwise it's going to be a beast to pedal uphill.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I also just checked the standover of the Stinky:
    S: 30.5"
    M: 30.7"
    L: 30.9"
    XL: 31.5"
    XXL: 31.7"

Get the TT length that fits you. You will never notice two-tenths of an inch of standover.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Well for what it is worth, I'm 6' and weigh 210lbs and ride a 2004 XL frame. There is no stand-over (and the 2005 have better stand over), but that seems normal for most long travel bikes. The only time stand over is an issue, is when I'm doing log rides and bridges (North Shore stuff), but since I also ride the bike up hills some times, and enjoy fast DH style runs the most, I really enjoy the extra room the XL top tube gives me. Also, a note on the spring rate...when I got my Stinky, it came with the shock in the linear position (front hole) and I was bottoming it out a lot. I was ready to buy a heavier spring (which would solve the bottoming problem, but also not be as supple), but first I put the shock in the progressive position (rear hole). I'm glad I did, because now I get the nice supple initial travel, but no bottoming on the drops.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ok thanks everyone, maybee i should just pick up the medium size frame. It did feel really comfortable sitting on it. No room to pedal in the store though and its snowy outside.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    well i decided to buy the small frame, bike should be in from BC in a few days, and built by tuesday.