Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    28

    05 Dawg Primo chain suck

    I just recently bought an 05 Dawg Primo and am have a problem with the chain getting sucked up between the big ring and the chain stay. My local dealer contacted Kona who said they had not heard of it happening in the 05s ;however, they had on earlier years so, they sent a new BB spacer set to change the offset. This did improve the issue but has not curred it. This only happens seems to happen in the middle ring at high speed on rough sections but, living on the east coast there are a lot of rough section of trail. Is anyone else having this problem
    Other that this issue, I have to say that this bike is awsome. The suspension and handling are increadible!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Your not alone,

    I have an '05 Dawg that had the same problem. I was soo frustrated after the first couple of rides due to all the chain sucking. It would happen everytime I shifted into the granny. Had my LBS get in touch with RaceFace and Kona and a few days later they put a new spacer on the bottom bracket. Everthing seems ok so far, but haven't really had a good long ride with it yet. Just so you know, when I first contacted Kona about this I was told that there was a bad batch of RaceFace chainrings floating around. They thought that might be the problem at first, and it could very well be your's. Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by reset1
    I have an '05 Dawg that had the same problem. I was soo frustrated after the first couple of rides due to all the chain sucking. It would happen everytime I shifted into the granny. Had my LBS get in touch with RaceFace and Kona and a few days later they put a new spacer on the bottom bracket. Everthing seems ok so far, but haven't really had a good long ride with it yet. Just so you know, when I first contacted Kona about this I was told that there was a bad batch of RaceFace chainrings floating around. They thought that might be the problem at first, and it could very well be your's. Hope this helps.

    Thanks for the reply. Which way did they move your bottom bracket? Mine already had the new spacers put in after the first ride, which moved the chainrings in towards the frame. That really didn't cure the problem. Last night I rode with a bunch of guys on King Kikapu's. Looking at there setup, I see that threre is a lot of space between the chainrings and the chain stays. Not sure if that's the problem on the Dawg but I plan to explore it. I didn't have any trouble when switching fron the middle to small chainrings until last night. It happened once at the base of a steep technical climb (very frustrating). My issue was up until last night that the chain would bounce up an get jamed between the big ring and the chain stay (without switching gears). I tried something new and filled the pocket in the in the chainstay with a moldable epoxy to make sure the chain didn't have room to jam between the big ring and chain stay. That seemed to work for now. Thanks for your input!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    Yeah, the new spacer was thinner and moved the cranks in a bit. Like I said it seems to be working ok so far, but I'm riding tomorrow and will let you know what happens. Nothing worse that shifting at the bottom of a steep climb and having the damn chain suck.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by reset1
    Yeah, the new spacer was thinner and moved the cranks in a bit. Like I said it seems to be working ok so far, but I'm riding tomorrow and will let you know what happens. Nothing worse that shifting at the bottom of a steep climb and having the damn chain suck.
    Let me know how you make out. I'm still working on the issue myself. I hope to do a race this weekend so, I'm not going to change anything until after that.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    So everything worked out yesterday and I didn't have any shift problems. Seems like the spacer cured it. Coming downhill at the end of the ride though, my rear shock (Fox Float R) lost all it's air pressure. Turns out that the body came unscrewed and let all the air out. Have you had anything like this happen?? How did your bike work for the race this weekend??
    Last edited by reset1; 05-15-2005 at 11:07 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by reset1
    So everything worked out yesterday and I didn't have any shift problems. Seems like the spacer cured it. Coming downhill at the end of the ride though, my rear shock (Fox Float R) lost all it's air pressure. Turns out that the body came unscrewed and let all the air out. Have you had anything like this happen?? How did your bike work for the race this weekend??
    I haven't had any problems with the shock, so far it seems to be working flawlessly. I filled the area in between the big and middle rings with that moldable epoxy I told you about. It seemed to work well yesterday. No chain suck. I also made sure the chain was really clean before the race. It seemed to help. I'll keep you posted on the rest.

Similar Threads

  1. 05 Dawg Matic - 4" vs other Dawgs @ 5"?
    By Le Freak in forum Kona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 09:25 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
  3. chain drop (outside) and chain suck
    By FishMan473 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 12:29 AM
  4. Mechanics help! chain suck
    By Cochise in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 07:51 AM
  5. Bear - chain suck
    By diiulio in forum Kona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •