Salt of the Earth

05 Dawg Matic - 4" vs other Dawgs @ 5"?

Just finished up a ride on my Dawg Matic when the 4x4 marking on the seat tube sparked the part of my brain that has not been damaged by beer...

Why are 05 Dawg Matics still 4" of travel (even ship with a EXR PRO 100mm) when all of the others in the pack are now 5"?

Left over frames; new paint?

Rider profile (supposedly newer to full sus -- not me though) vs. pricepoint?

Whats the secret?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Freak
    Just finished up a ride on my Dawg Matic when the 4x4 marking on the seat tube sparked the part of my brain that has not been damaged by beer...

Why are 05 Dawg Matics still 4" of travel (even ship with a EXR PRO 100mm) when all of the others in the pack are now 5"?

Left over frames; new paint?

Rider profile (supposedly newer to full sus -- not me though) vs. pricepoint?

Whats the secret?
    Dog Matic is their entry level Dawg. Since '04 Dawgs were 4" front and back, Kona probably used some left over shocks and rocker plates from '04. Don't worry, it really doesn't make that much difference. I have an '04 Stinky with 6" of travel while all other '04 Stinkys and all '05 Stinkys have 7", but one inch isn't going to make me faster or more brave. Enjoy riding your Dawg and don't worry too much about numbers.

Salt of the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke1972
    Dog Matic is their entry level Dawg. Since '04 Dawgs were 4" front and back, Kona probably used some left over shocks and rocker plates from '04. Don't worry, it really doesn't make that much difference. I have an '04 Stinky with 6" of travel while all other '04 Stinkys and all '05 Stinkys have 7", but one inch isn't going to make me faster or more brave. Enjoy riding your Dawg and don't worry too much about numbers.
    Actually, I am not "worried" in the least... just curious.

Truth be told, the 4" model was an attractive buy for a lot of people... some on this board have expressed dampened enthusiasim for the 5" version. Me, I'm OK either way (3 is too little... 6 too much.. I've had both).

I just thought it was interesting and wondered if it was an entry level decision (product positioning) or just a case of few extra rockers / shocks / frames lying around (finacial decision).

Either way, it's a great ride. I took mine and upgraded it with parts from my other bikes / bin. Left the stock float on though... really like it (I have used RS / Fox AVA / Fox Vanilla / Manitou Swinger...). Strange that a basic shock could be so satisfying...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Actually, I am not "worried" in the least... just curious.

Truth be told, the 4" model was an attractive buy for a lot of people... some on this board have expressed dampened enthusiasim for the 5" version.
    Just curious about this, as I haven't seen anyone saying there was anything wrong with the 5" Dawg. Are they just saying the extra 1" doesn't make as big a difference as they thought it would?

Salt of the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    Just curious about this, as I haven't seen anyone saying there was anything wrong with the 5" Dawg. Are they just saying the extra 1" doesn't make as big a difference as they thought it would?
    No, most have do acknowledge that the 5" is noticeable and certainly worthwhile if 5" is what you were after...

It's just that traditionally, the Dawg / Bear were 4" travel bikes and I guess what those people (myself included) are wondering is what drove Kona to make it 5" instead 4" when it seems that most people liked the XC / backcountry 4" amount. If you wanted more -- time for a Stinky!

Maybe some people are using thier Dawgs as FR bikes instead of buying Stinky's / Coilers (now 6" rears - I think some used to be 5")? I don't know.

Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No, most have do acknowledge that the 5" is noticeable and certainly worthwhile if 5" is what you were after...

It's just that traditionally, the Dawg / Bear were 4" travel bikes and I guess what those people (myself included) are wondering is what drove Kona to make it 5" instead 4" when it seems that most people liked the XC / backcountry 4" amount. If you wanted more -- time for a Stinky!

Maybe some people are using thier Dawgs as FR bikes instead of buying Stinky's / Coilers (now 6" rears - I think some used to be 5")? I don't know.

Anyone else?
    I think they had to....just look at the market. There are lots of bikes out there now with 5 or more inches of travel that are just as light or even lighter then the Dawg. Assuming you can rig the bike up to still be effecient (thru fancy suspension or an SPV shock), I don't see any reason not to go to longer travel, especially if there isn't much weight penalty.