RideDirt

** 2012 Kona Operators Or Earlier Post Up Here **

So where are all the Operator rides at ? I will soon be a proud owner of a 2012 probably by next week or so Post up your rides guys and thoughts on how the bike feels and rides .

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'll have to take some pics. Lovin' mine.

RideDirt
    Please do ! Just had my LBS put the order in for mine .. How does she handle the rock gardens and corners on your s? Dunno what kind of terrain you ride .

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bam. 2011 Operator DH. Bit of a mish-mash of stock and custom now.

Fork: Boxxer RC w/ modified shim stack
    Shock: Elka Stage 5 400 lbs. spring
    Drivetrain: stock
    Wheels: Spank Spikes laced with DT Alpine III to stock Formula hubs.
    Brakes: Saints w/ NSB gold adapters... 'cause they're gold!
    Stem: Deity Fantom DM
    Bar: Deity Dirty 30
    Grips: Ruffian MX
    Seat post: cheap-o double bolt - make sure you don't cut your post too short, because you need to run it pretty much bottomed out in the frame to stay w/in warranty guidelines.
    Saddle: Serfas Phantom Carbon (cheap, light, comfortable; guess which two this saddle is?)
    Pedals: Wellgo B065
    Tires: Right now i'm trying out a Kenda excavator 2.35 and a 2.5 Maxxis DHF - just put 'em on before the photo.

I find the suspension to be a nice balance between monster truck and pop-able. Definitely soaks things up without harsh bottoming. Corners predictably, and seems to track better in rough corners than my old Stab did. 2012 has shorter chainstays, so it should be a little quicker, but I like the balance of a bit longer chainstay than what might be considered "cool". I ride in Southwest BC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ** 2012 Kona Operators Or Earlier Post Up Here **-p3290047.jpg  

RideDirt
    Nice man ! You got a solid setup right there for sure , funny i was looking at some Spank wheels due to the weight and the superior build they have. I got a small little list of upgrades that i will be applying within a few weeks of picking up the new rig.

I see you did a shim stack? Im assuming thats to help with compression? I was thinking about upgrading the internals to the Rc2c so i can have the LS/HS adjustments as well . Coming from my AM rig i had that upgrade on my Lyrik R Air and it was a huge difference . Ill get some pix up as soon as my bike comes in. Thanks !

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    as far as the "shimz" go, I was finding the fork a bit harsh. The motion control damper in the boxxer RC has a shim stack in series with the low-speed function. I was running too soft a spring but could never get full travel. so I removed some of the shims to open the damping up and went up to the proper spring for my weight. now I don't have to run a bunch of preload and the fork feels much nicer overall.

RideDirt
    Sweet , good to know ! I'll keep that in mind .