mtbr member
    Apr 2007

$99 float r shocks on Santa Cruz website

Santa Cruz has some clearance float r shocks for $99 to go along with the Swingers. I just ordered one for my 2006 Kikapu and I was wondering if the reducers/spacers that are currenly on there with the stock vanilla could be reused. If anyone else has done this replacement or knows that vanilla and float r eyelet widths are equal, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Cliff

mtbr member
    Damn. That's really tempting.

If I didn't already have a DHX air in that size I would JUMP on that deal. I still might. I don't know...

You can use all the hardwear from your old shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It looks like a large volume canister, would that with it being valved for a VPP bike wreck the performance of it on a kikapu? I wouldn't mind getting one and sending it to push. You would end up with pushed float for $250. Does anyone know if they can up grade a float R to a RP23?
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I didn't know fox supplied float r's with a high volume sleeve for OE applications. Based on the comments on Push's site, the higher volume sleeve gives you a more linear spring rate so that seems like a good thing regardless of the application but I really don't know that much about shocks. I assume the propedal valving for VPP is the light setting. I'll give it a try and if it bobs too much, I think I have someone locally that can modify it for pretty cheap. I may just end up Pushing it though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think the reducers will work. Let us know if they do. Is the float R an upgrade over the swinger 3 way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    I think the reducers will work. Let us know if they do. Is the float R an upgrade over the swinger 3 way?
    Yes. A big one.

Swinger 3 ways are horrible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Yes. A big one.

Swinger 3 ways are horrible.
    I don't seem to mind my three way, but I haven't ever tried a fox.

mtbr member
    I don't seem to mind my three way, but I haven't ever tried a fox.
    You don't know what you're missing

mtbr member
    Is the float R an upgrade over the swinger 3 way?
    I wouldn't say so. My wife's bike has a RP3 and my trail bike has a RP23 and the Swinger 3-way I had on my Coiler felt just as good. Plus I really liked being able to fine tune the pedal platform with the Swinger.

The Float sent to Push for a tune specific to your application would be an upgrade though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    cmoore75 did the spacers fit? How are you liking the float. I still am thinking about getting one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

spacers are fine

The spacers fit just fine but I couldn't figure out a good way to get them off without roughing them up a little bit. I am happy with the shock, definitely an improvement over the vanilla coil. I'm not sure how much more efficient it is for climbing but it is definitely more comfortable on long rides.

One thing I am finding strange is that I have to keep the air pressure really low to set the sag at 25%. I have to keep it around 70PSI for that amount of sag and I weigh about 180lbs. I'm running it at about 110 though because I was bottoming out really easy at 70. I still bottom out at 110 but it doesn't result in a really harsh landing even on big drops. It is the large volume by the way with the lowest Propedal setting. I may send it to Push at some point to have it upgraded.

It is my first air shock so I can't really compare it with anything else but it was definitely worth the $99 for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0