Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,227

    You know it's a good day at work......

    ...when one of these show's up at the office.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    50
    Awesome! I'm guessing this is a day glo Chilcotin?!

    I'll be curious to find out your comparisons with the Delirium T. I've been having a blast on my DT recently and hitting some stuff I hadn't previously so it's giving me a big grin. When I get around to buying a new bike (I wish) it will be a tough decision between the chilcotin and endorphin... but currently I would keep my DT and get an endorphin. If I could only have one bike it would definitely be the chilcotin!

  3. #3
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,339
    Oh hell yeah!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bizarro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    416
    open open open open!!!!!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,766
    that seems like it would be a terrible day at work. having that damn box staring you down all day,
    taunting you.
    making you fake a cough.

    damn boxes!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    that seems like it would be a terrible day at work. having that damn box staring you down all day,
    taunting you.
    making you fake a cough.

    damn boxes!
    Nailed it. I'd be sick as a dog when that UPS truck pulled up.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,211
    I'd have a PPI planned for when that box was supposed to arrive.


    (Planned Personal Illness)....hahaha.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  8. #8
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,846
    ....must have been some Noel-Flu ya got a big snoot of when opening the box.
    That is some nasty shiat - nailed me bad a few years back when my DT frame showed up at work.

    Beware that this illness can cause some bruising and scrapes to body and appendages, preceded by dirty fingernails. As well as sore facial muscles for the un-natural amount of smiling this illness causes.
    Just lettin ya know so you're prepared for the weird looks when you return to work from being ill.

    michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

    Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dude!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,339
    A box - really, what a waste......show us the goods!!!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,227
    Not only was it crazy at work with no way to "get sick", but I had stuff I had to do last night so didn't even crack the box open until this morning. Aaaaargh.

    You are right, Brandon, that Dayglo is stunning in person. Really, really happy with the color.

    Still waiting on the fork and wheels but willl start getting everything else hung on the frame tonight and tomorrow.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,766
    Can't wait to see what you put together KRob!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Krob, you are doing it all wrong man.


    We need pics.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  13. #13
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,334
    Hmmmmm, I dunno, I seem to get a lot of those boxes at my office and all it usually means is more work.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Hmmmmm, I dunno, I seem to get a lot of those boxes at my office and all it usually means is more work.
    Ha ha no kidding. Everything is relative I suppose. Thanks again for your work in getting this particular box sent out.

    Now my work begins. I'm a reluctant wrench so not looking forward to this part of the new bike experience.

    I just want to ride it!

  15. #15
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,334
    I sent you an email. Please respond.

    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ha ha no kidding. Everything is relative I suppose. Thanks again for your work in getting this particular box sent out.

    Now my work begins. I'm a reluctant wrench so not looking forward to this part of the new bike experience.

    I just want to ride it!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Not only was it crazy at work with no way to "get sick", but I had stuff I had to do last night so didn't even crack the box open until this morning. Aaaaargh.

    You are right, Brandon, that Dayglo is stunning in person. Really, really happy with the color.

    Still waiting on the fork and wheels but willl start getting everything else hung on the frame tonight and tomorrow.
    WHAT?? Didn't open until the next day? When I received my Podium in the city of Boston I opened it up in .02 seconds with my kids crying in the car. The crying stopped when the art work was displayed and drooled over!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    WHAT?? Didn't open until the next day? When I received my Podium in the city of Boston I opened it up in .02 seconds with my kids crying in the car. The crying stopped when the art work was displayed and drooled over!
    Yeah, then you called me and were ready to drive to the north shore to show it off. Sick and demented. I love it



    Would love a box like that

  18. #18
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'm a reluctant wrench so not looking forward to this part of the new bike experience.
    My Chili was my first build. The most I had done before that was replace tires, cassettes, chains, and derailleurs. I knew a tenth of what you know about bikes and I did was able to build my bike. It should be a breeze for you, Kent. I've got all the confidence in the world that you can do it easy pie.

    In the end, only three things were scary/confusing:

    1) Selecting the components. I hate to make mistakes so I suffer from paralysis by analysis; and I hadn't a clue about components. About the time I ordered my Chili frame is when I joined MTBR; so I could learn from you guys.

    2) Installing the headset. It started to slant a little and I started to crap my pants. My local bike mechanic laughed and tightened it some more. It worked fine. (I brought my bike stand to my LBS and assembled it on site just in case.)

    3) Installing the bottom bracket. I read conflicting info on the number of spacers required and their positioning with my crankset. Adding to that the instructions assume you can actually find the center line of your bike within a few millimeters. I changed spacers out three times before figuring out the theory behind them; and then I dared tightened the BB down.

    You're miles ahead of my starting point so give'r hell!
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    My Chili was my first build. The most I had done before that was replace tires, cassettes, chains, and derailleurs. I knew a tenth of what you know about bikes and I did was able to build my bike. It should be a breeze for you, Kent. I've got all the confidence in the world that you can do it easy pie.

    In the end, only three things were scary/confusing:

    1) Selecting the components. I hate to make mistakes so I suffer from paralysis by analysis; and I hadn't a clue about components. About the time I ordered my Chili frame is when I joined MTBR; so I could learn from you guys.

    2) Installing the headset. It started to slant a little and I started to crap my pants. My local bike mechanic laughed and tightened it some more. It worked fine. (I brought my bike stand to my LBS and assembled it on site just in case.)

    3) Installing the bottom bracket. I read conflicting info on the number of spacers required and their positioning with my crankset. Adding to that the instructions assume you can actually find the center line of your bike within a few millimeters. I changed spacers out three times before figuring out the theory behind them; and then I dared tightened the BB down.

    You're miles ahead of my starting point so give'r hell!
    I have the same three concerns and here's how I solved them:

    1) I just let Noel pick the parts. His build kit was solid and priced well so I saved myself the headache of picking each part separately. There's a few things I would've chosen differently but I can always switch things later.

    2) I had Kevin press in my headset before shipping.

    3) and you just solved my last concern. So how many spacers did you end up with?

  20. #20
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    3) and you just solved my last concern. So how many spacers did you end up with?
    Cookbook Answer
    What I did: I put one spacer on the drive side of my BB.

    Why: This gave me approximately the "standard" 2x10 chainline (49.5mm). IIRC, without the spacer my front derailleur (SRAM), when set not rub in granny gear, had the potential to interfere with the Chili's chain stay. I could be dreaming this, but I think that was the case.

    How to know if this works for you: From inside of the large sprocket to the center line of the Chili should be ~52mm (or ~44 mm to the small sprocket). Note: For a 1x10 the standard chainline is 51mm from the center line of the bike, or ~50mm from the inside of the sprocket. BTW, you can subtract 36.5mm from these numbers and measure from the drive-side of the Chili, which is probably what I did.

    Be sure to test the bike in granny gear and see if the front D will hit the chain stay with the suspension compressed. Hitting your front D on your chainstay is the only thing that has a chance of creating some gnarly damage. If you use the measurements I provided it shouldn't happen, but it would be a major piss-off if it did!

    If you make sure that front D & chainstay don't hit then any possible error is a learning experience.

    Theoretical Answer
    It's all about getting the chainline optimized (i.e. minimize cross-chaining), so your use of gear combos matter. Here is all the info you probably need (and then some) on chainline theory. I would suggest reading the Sheldon Brown stuff to understand the concept; and then read the Park Tool article to get more specific.

    Sheldon: Chainline on Bicycles with Derailers

    Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chainline Concepts
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Cookbook Answer
    What I did: I put one spacer on the drive side of my BB.

    Why: This gave me approximately the "standard" 2x10 chainline (49.5mm). IIRC, without the spacer my front derailleur (SRAM), when set not rub in granny gear, had the potential to interfere with the Chili's chain stay. I could be dreaming this, but I think that was the case.

    How to know if this works for you: From inside of the large sprocket to the center line of the Chili should be ~52mm (or ~44 mm to the small sprocket). Note: For a 1x10 the standard chainline is 51mm from the center line of the bike, or ~50mm from the inside of the sprocket. BTW, you can subtract 36.5mm from these numbers and measure from the drive-side of the Chili, which is probably what I did.

    Be sure to test the bike in granny gear and see if the front D will hit the chain stay with the suspension compressed. Hitting your front D on your chainstay is the only thing that has a chance of creating some gnarly damage. If you use the measurements I provided it shouldn't happen, but it would be a major piss-off if it did!

    If you make sure that front D & chainstay don't hit then any possible error is a learning experience.

    Theoretical Answer
    It's all about getting the chainline optimized (i.e. minimize cross-chaining), so your use of gear combos matter. Here is all the info you probably need (and then some) on chainline theory. I would suggest reading the Sheldon Brown stuff to understand the concept; and then read the Park Tool article to get more specific.

    Sheldon: Chainline on Bicycles with Derailers

    Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chainline Concepts
    I don't like either of those answers (too hard! Im a lazy mechanic too). I was hoping for something much easier...... Like "one spacer under the drive side bb cup".

  22. #22
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,846
    Kent

    Grab yourself a number of spacers in different thicknesses.
    That way you can fine tune.

    Being I use Shitmano - I grabbed a few extra spacers so have spacers in 2.5mm 1.8mm and 0.7mm.
    Does make setup tuning a lot easier, but ya still gotta get yer fingernails dirty. However you do get REAL good at pulling the cranks and BB...

    michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

    Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knollybikes.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I don't like either of those answers (too hard! Im a lazy mechanic too). I was hoping for something much easier...... Like "one spacer under the drive side bb cup".
    If this is with our build kit, the left Raceface BB cup has no spacer; the right BB cup uses ONE of the 2.5mm BB cup spacers.

    Cheers!

    Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

    Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

  24. #24
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I don't like either of those answers (too hard! Im a lazy mechanic too). I was hoping for something much easier...... Like "one spacer under the drive side bb cup".
    Well then, here's your solution: Sport's World of Ely, NV! They'll put your bike together for you while you freshen up your supply of "everything from traps to scents and urines." It's one stop shopping!!!
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Geez Krob,
    will you grap your crappy cellphone and take some picture please?! :-D
    Congrats on your new bike Dude
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Good chain guide to work with my current bash?
    By ncologerojr in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 08:17 AM
  2. Good offseason work
    By ej63090 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM
  3. Good work-out for my 1.5 hour after work ride.
    By y0bailey in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
  4. Work parties that are good for young kids?
    By Rock Climber in forum Washington
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM
  5. It's nice to work with some good welders
    By nepbug in forum Commuting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •