mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Are you a fan of Specialized? *Video*

I love their tires but their bikes don't interest me a whole lot (not because of the lack of 650b). Some of you may have seen this but I figure I'd repost it....

mtbr member
    haha! you shitbirds!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

pedal up
    Dec 2009

Specialized Turbo: the electric bike has come of age...

ok, i ride (even urban commutes) for the cardio pleasure. but this' got the beginnings to the end of all things combustion...

Language Selector - Specialized TurboAttachment 845354
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you a fan of Specialized? *Video*-specialized.jpg  

Are you a fan of Specialized? *Video*-specialized-turbo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    The problem with the Spec Turbo, is that most custom ebikes are going 500-5000W. The Spec is 250W, with a tiny battery, for $6k.

Don't get me wrong, I love the styling and integration...and I hope it catches on. But I would probably buy a steel cross bike and put 1-2k hub motor on it with a decent battery, and save a few grand.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

Elitest thrill junkie
    No matter how you feel, hybrid bikes that store braking energy for use on hills like porsches using braking energy to launch out of turns are on their way and will change mountain biking.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No matter how you feel, hybrid bikes that store braking energy for use on hills like porsches using braking energy to launch out of turns are on their way and will change mountain biking.
    motors have no place in mountainbiking. never will have.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    LOL, great vid.

Why would anybody buy that crappy Specialized e-bike when they can get a Hyundai or Kia for a few thousand $$ more that has both A/C and heat??
    Blur LT & Highball

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    haven't delved into the whole ebike spec deal... but that sucks for the cake.

certainly the design and flow of these machines is coming of age and as the petrostate crumbles 2wheeled e-assisted pedal powered transportation is the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike View Post
    haven't delved into the whole ebike spec deal... but that sucks for the cake.

certainly the design and flow of these machines is coming of age and as the petrostate crumbles 2wheeled e-assisted pedal powered transportation is the future.
    I sure hope so. Funny thing is that it is already faster to get around on a bike around rush hour if you are in a bigger city. The problem is the lack of an infrastructure of bike PATHS. The politicians and pundits alike both claim this huge network of bike ROUTES. But in reality it seems like 90% of them are on a bus route. What genius decided that the safest place to put a dedicated bike lane was one that was shared with buses, 2-way traffic, and parked cars on the side of the road? If they created bike PATHS that bisected a city, you would see a much larger use of bio and electric clean energy commuting. All you would have to do is convert a 2-way road to one-way, plus a bike/run/walk path in the unused lane, with a small divide of greenery (small trees would work best) between the two.

BTW: for the record. Motors are motors. An offroad ebike or eMoto belongs in an ORV area, not a MTB area. It seems like bringing an outboard to a lap pool to me. Possible exceptions being human-like power output (small 250W or possibly 500w peak) motors, and accommodations for motors for handicap use. (but still limited to 'human-like' power output), much like current power wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

thumbs up

free thought!

mtbr member
    Change it to motorcycling?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    what Rdfreethought said.

What concerns me tho about the e-bike is that as they mature and get more capable, the models that are visually similar to a mtb will eventually be seen under shitheads tearing up local trails.
    While a little part of me thinks I'd like to give it a try the real concern I have with them is the threat to advocacy efforts.

It's hard enough to get/keep access to trails and it's been a long tough slog for many in the advocacy end of things to maintain existing access much less securing new access in the face of pressure from some very biased other user groups. Unfortunately I have a decent amount of direct history with this and that battle is fought with much weight on perceptions. Reason and Logic take a back seat when land managers are dealing with frightened grannies and myopic ecology minded persons.

So, it wouldn't take very many instances of some battery powered "mountain biker" tearing past a bird watcher, hiker, family on picnic before Councillors and land managers are reading letters about the newest threat from "mountain bikes" and how they were almost killed. Historically the way they manage challenges like that is to simply close access.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The trails around me are pretty clear: no motorized transportation. Doesn't say whether the motor has to be gas or electric or whatever.

Also, i don't know what kind of trails you guys are riding on but an e-bike couldn't make it up half the hills around me, let alone through the rock gardens.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not allowed to drive a Porsche in the mtn. preserve either; BLM land, motorcycles already allowed. So, so what?....as usual.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    The trails around me are pretty clear: no motorized transportation. Doesn't say whether the motor has to be gas or electric or whatever.

Also, i don't know what kind of trails you guys are riding on but an e-bike couldn't make it up half the hills around me, let alone through the rock gardens.
    to clarify, I'm not concerned about current e-bikes. Agreed, they seem pretty lame, but that may not always be the case going forward as the technology is there for them to be made more compentent.
    Audi e-bike Official - A bicycle that runs at 80 kmph HD - YouTube
    Also, I wouldn't suppose that it'd be an issue deeper into technical mtb trails. I'd be more concerned about the tamer, multi-use paths that are shared with dog walkers, sunday outings etc. e.g. the first level in an IMBA stacked loop system.

Of course, I hope my concern is unfounded but that remains to be seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post

A very strong cyclist can put out 500 watts for 2 minutes.

500 watts is ~.65 horsepower.

2/3 hp electric motors are small, common, and coming to a bicycle near you - and will be able to produce power like that for a lot longer than a cyclist.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    Stealth Electric Bike With FMX Rider Ronnie Renner: Upside Down & Inside Out, Ep. 10
    Stealth Electric Bike With FMX Rider Ronnie Renner: Upside Down & Inside Out, Ep. 10 - YouTube

mtbr member
    ^
    I immediately thought that all those places he is riding... those are 'non-motorized' trails and parks. He is poaching those trails. Therefore his whole claim about blowing off steam via eBIKE is a fallacy, since he is doing it illegally. In a perfect world, I would have a LOT more Moto access near to town, and that would satisfy that need for speed. They 'city-limits' motos may need to run actual mufflers, but you could easily make it so that noise and fire hazards are not an issue. In fact, I would prefer that, since access to emergency services would be closer, and there would be less destruction of forest lands.

You know I was thinking about the future of eBikes and the ever increasing power limits and range they will be capable of. One could argue (as stated above) that this will blur lines between bikes and motorized recreation, and cause a backlash on MTB folks. However, the opposite might also be the case. There may be a bit of "an enemy of my enemy is my friend" syndrome that happens. Surely the horse people and hikers will hate the eBiker and Motos that poach trails more than the XC geeks and MTB folks. Hence, there may be a first time, where all the main trail user groups (hiker, horse, and MTB) agree to outlaw all motorized transport on public trails.

In my perfect world, the majority of the able bodied populace would commute to work on eBikes, and this great acceptance would create specialized 'commuter' roads just for those electric vehicles (under a certain weight, say 250 lbs). A smaller portion that lived closer to work would still use pedal bikes to commute, and also have an infrastructure build in. Cars would be used almost exclusively as long haul vehicles, or multi-person vehicles. And hikers, horsefolk and mountain bikers would share the trails, and recognize each others interests and respect each groups right to pursue their own sense of wonder and recreation, and work together to keep it that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Hence, there may be a first time, where all the main trail user groups (hiker, horse, and MTB) agree to outlaw all motorized transport on public trails.

Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    In my perfect world, the majority of the able bodied populace would commute to work on eBikes, and this great acceptance would create specialized 'commuter' roads just for those electric vehicles (under a certain weight, say 250 lbs). A smaller portion that lived closer to work would still use pedal bikes to commute, and also have an infrastructure build in.
    In London 5 cyclists have been killed since last Monday when using cycle ways which are segregated inner channels on the main roads, what's needed there is fresh infrastructure for non motorised transport, routes which do not share the same path as motorised vehicles. but there's no space to build it upon. cant stop cars, lorries and public transport going down certain roads in the city, that would kill local businesses. Its a catch 22 and people are too scared to cycle to work now. the only hope that's left is to educate motorists on the perils of being a cyclist in the hope they see how dangerous they make it for us and respond accordingly, in itself its a very tall order. In the less land locked areas and out towards the countryside we should remember all that is wrong in the crammed city, recognise the design mistakes of the past and what it leads to, and build for the future accordingly.
    Last edited by cfrench; 11-15-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

Living Future

"ridefreethought" & "c(auseit's)french"... you should both run for local council. you have my vote.

(let's highjack this form a little further)... Things are really going to change. We're fast approaching the end of cheap energy and when the keg runs dry the hangover is gonna be harsh. Even with a free and clean global energy source, we need quickly change the business-as-usual mindset and collectively rethink the way we use and reuse the resources of this beautiful planet.

"Sustainability" is so yesterday...

"The thing that I'm most troubled by, as a political matter, which we seem to be doing already in this country, is the one consensus that we should ramp up a campaign to sustain the unsustainable. There's a great yammer out there for solutions, so-called solutions, and the subtext to this, what people are actually saying, is give us a bunch of solutions so that we can continue living exactly the way we're living. So I would make a distinction between solutions, most of them bogus, and intelligent responses to the circumstances that we face." - James Howard Kunstler.

"Regeneration" is the new eco-catch phrase and Nature is The Being that regenerates...

"Life keeps on making Life." - Janine Benyus.

(that is if we stop paving over It and get in tune)...

From bike lanes to community based Living Economics, as a species, if we are to survive, we are going to have to (re)discover our place within the Natural matrix.

Bikes vs Cars - the feature doc - (Toronto Mayor Rob Ford once again in fine form)...
    BIKES vs CARS - WE ARE MANY by Fredrik Gertten ? Kickstarter
    Ready to help us take on the mighty car? Sign up now and keep up with the film!

Living Buildings / Living Communities - our most pragmatic hope for humanity...
    https://living-future.org/lbc

our documentary...
    http://www.filmthropic.com

1 of 7.1billion,
    Todd
    aka biobike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you a fan of Specialized? *Video*-ilfi_hi-res-copy.jpg