Thread: XT Front Mech

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XT Front Mech

Hi all,

As some of you may of seen I am the new owner of an Endo and I'm starting to build it up. However I have encountered a problem, I bought an XT front mech but it doesnt come with any mounting bolts niether does the frame, is this normal? If so could anyone point me in the right direction to get the correct ones.

Cheers,
    Dan

Yebo Numzaan
    Dan...do you have toolbox with spare bolts and things lying around? I had the same challenge two days ago and dug around and found two bolts that fitted....short term solution which will likely become long term. The top bolt stands proud and nearly gets whacked by the crank arm...but it gets the job done. Good luck...its nearly weekend
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Surprised no bolts came with the Derailleur.

I have found a better solution than the stock bolts is using brake rotor bolts. They are the exact same size, often have a low profile rounded top and are torx bolts. Hopefully you have a couple spares you can use.

Have fun with the new Endo. Loving mine.
    TG

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah I know I have a few spare brake rotor bolts lying around here somewhere so I will give them a try and hopefully they do the trick!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    same here guys,,, i emailed kev and noel they told me they are the standard torx bolts that hold the rotor on,,, is it m5, thats what i used to mount the fd on my endo,,,
    if you have a painted frame like mine,( blue) i had paint in the thread, so had to run the bolt in and out a few times to chase it, then it went in no probs.

%$#$*!
    Yep, I did the same thing and used some leftover rotor bolts I had laying around. I was surprised that they didn't come in the box though. Not sure why shimano didn't include them, perhaps different frames have different size bolts? Seems like this should be pretty standard across frames though......

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Yep, I did the same thing and used some leftover rotor bolts I had laying around. I was surprised that they didn't come in the box though. Not sure why shimano didn't include them, perhaps different frames have different size bolts? Seems like this should be pretty standard across frames though......
    im not complaining mate,,, thanks to this i got a free mech lol.... my brother orderd one off crc, it came with out bolts he emailed them saying they were missing, expecting them to send some bolts, instead they sent another mech lol. this to came with out bolts, when we went to build up his chilli it had bolts in the frame lol. thats when we realised they were normal rotor bolts, a quick email to noel and kev confirmed this, and i had myself a free shimano xt front mech lol.

Yebo Numzaan

front Der

Seriously seriously stoked to have a front Der this weekend.

I have been (and still am) a big fan of single ring up front purely for the simplicity and less risk of chain droppage (esp when racing).

There are times however when a front der is damn awesome and this weekend was one of them. I would not even contemplate doing this ride without a front der. The MRP 2x guide worked flawlessly with zero chain issues over nearly 8k of descending. Pedalled awesome.

the reward was 4k of damn sweet single track descending...followed by a different 3+k climb and more wicked descending...followed by leg cramps, swim, beer.

had to get the obligatory 'tourist' (poser) photo

Crystal
    I support EMBA