Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Knollician

X-Fusion Vector Air?

Anyone had any experience with this shock? Looking to possibly add an air shock to the mix (running a CCDB coil now) and have narrowed it down to the CCBD Air or Vector Air. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Roll on Spring Time!
    been on a vector air for a few months now and it is fantastic. more pop off jumps and small trail features plus its easier to get off the ground to double rock gardens. the delirium seems to float through rough sections so it easily as smooth as my Pushed RS vivid with Ti spring. I am not getting the last 5-8mmm of travel with 30% sag and minimal Psi in the piggy with no turns on the dial. I have landed pretty hard but not the biggest hits I would usually do, untill I get back to South Africa. Doesnt bother me since I wanted to lighten the D up and make it more of a AM ripper, so the last bit of travel vs all the other trail benefits suits me perfectly. I am running a Lyrik air 170mm and with this setup the D is super fun.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    The CC boys have really hit a major home run with the CCDB air (especially when mounted on a Chilcotin)

I had a CCDB coil on my Endorphin - but I never fully got along with it for some reason. But the CCDB air on the Chilcotin works amazingly well. Plus I can really feel the differences in the setup / adjustments. I found using Noels write up regarding setup procedure for the CCDB air very helpful as well, and have been slowly making changes - and liking the direction I am heading. I really can not imagine being happier with any other shock that is currently available on the market.

HAL
    mtbr member
    Running a Vector Air on my Podium and it has been fantastic. It is smooth as silk and tracks the ground better than any shock I have used to this point (which includes pretty much everything except a CCDB) That said, as I can't speak directly to the CC's performance this forum is filled with people talking about how great the CC is. I don't think you will be disappointed either way. But my biased opinion says give the Vector a shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-Fusion Vector Air?-podium.jpg  

RideDirt
    Any particular reason why you dont want or like the ccdb coil ? Personally i love the feel of a coil shock , only air i have been on was a fox rp2 which really sucked . Im a bit hesitant to try an air again ..

mtbr member
    I demo'd a Vector Air on a HD. It was a great shock and made me realize not all air shocks suck. Of course the demo was put on by XFusion so I am sure there was some special tuning to make it feel so great. But I think the Vector could hold it's own on the Chil.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry to stray off topic but can anyone compare this shock to a monarch plus RC3?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Where can you buy a Vector Air HLR and how much?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Powder View Post
    Where can you buy a Vector Air HLR and how much?
    Direct from X-Fusion - call them to order. It was $500 a few months ago. Cheaper than a DHX-A...

X-Fusion Vector Air?-xfusionvectorair.jpg

I don't claim to be a suspension expert, but I've been really impressed with this shock. Setup was pretty straightforward, too. There are a couple threads in the Suspension forum.
    Last edited by evasive; 08-14-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added photo
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

RideDirt
    Wonder how well it would work w the chilcotin frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Wonder how well it would work w the chilcotin frame
    most likely pretty well. almost all i have heard about xfusion has been good. give them a call, i'm sure they'd be happy to offer their thoughts on it

Knollician
    Through a conversation with my LBS, X-Fusion claims to be sold out until late September. The info I received to day makes the shock sound very promising.
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 08-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.

%$#$*!
    FWIW, I had a vector air hlr for about a month on an older endorphin before getting a DBair. I'm no suspension expert, just an average rider who likes to get the most out of my suspension so hopefully my comments make sense!

I really liked the vector air, it's a great shock, but I thought the DBair outperformed it in slow tech climbing and also in the fast chop. This could be due to the vector air not having a chance to break in. (Btw, my DBair worked fantastic right out of the box). I also attribute this to the range of adjustment on the DBair. I'm about 150lbs RTR so the range of settings is important to me for my light weight. Might not be an issue for a heavier rider. I felt like I couldn't quite tune it to where I wanted it exactly. Close but not like the DBair. I heard X-fusion can tune your shock for a little extra so if I would have stuck with the vector air I would have went this route.

Both shocks have great mid stroke support. I felt like the vector air had a slightly firmer ride compared to the DBair. It reminded me a little of how my avy chubie feels on the small stuff -compliant but not using too much travel. The DBair is really progressive (I use approx. 38% sag) and I haven't used full travel (haven't hit anything over 4ft on it yet). However, the quality of the travel never leaves me even thinking about it. I never feel like I'm missing it.

I like that the vector air has adjustment knobs that you can turn by hand. Although the rebound knob is in a really odd place and is hard to turn. Minor quibble though.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way. Both shocks are imho the best air shocks on the market. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've owned a pushed monarch-am, too (but not a monarch plus).

mtbr member
    Care to share why you would want to replace your CCDBcoil?
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Care to share why you would want to replace your CCDBcoil?
    I am very happy with the CCDB coil, however I have Crohn's disease (Ulcerative Colitis) which causes me to gain or drop weight rapidly. As a measure of convenience, and air shock would be easier to to tune spring rate.

From a performance stand point, having a more progressive shock may work better for me. The CCDB feels great, but may a bit too linear for my application. Dialing up the HSC only makes the ride harsh, so having a shock that is naturally more progressive might help simplify my life a bit. My speeds have picked up greatly with the Chili, and our terrain is very chunky with little or no drops, however we have very large, hard hitting square edge hits that can overwhelm the CCDB at speed. I am looking into a Avy shock as well if I choose to stay with a coil. Just looking at options to occupy my mind

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I am looking into a Avy shock as well if I choose to stay with a coil. Just looking at options to occupy my mind
    Options are always a good thing...if you are interested in Avy and air, you can have Craig mod up a DHX Air (in case you didn't know):
    Fox DHX 5.0Speed sensitive Damper Adjuster Kit

mtbr member
    I recently got a PUSH Monarch RT3 for the Delirium. I am really impressed with this shock so far. It handles everything well - rooty sections, jumps, and pedaling uphill. I never ridden Vector or DB air. However, the nice thing about the RT3 is that you can quickly change the behavior with the little blue lever from firm to soft. I thought that I was just going to use this for long days in the saddle, but I can see this being used for most rides and when things get really gnarly throwing the CCDB coil back on. I am still testing this.

I would assume the DB air and Vector to be around better shocks, but not sure by how much.

FYI - I am using all of the travel on the Monarch!

Yebo Numzaan
    Dammit. Tired of all you guys posting about these other shocks. Time for me to get my hands on something. I have a line on a DHX 5 coil - just trying to find a spring.

I dont really have a problem with the RP23 - but I wont complain if the Chilly happens to feel even better.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a Vector HLR coil on my Delirium and a DHX RC4 on my Podium. This might sound like a small thing but I can't turn any of the adjustment knobs on the DHX RC4 with my bare hands whereas I have no such problem with the Vector HLR coil. I love my Vector HLR coil shock.

Big fan of xfusion products here.

mtbr member
    I've not heard a single bad thing about any X-fusion forks or shocks. Normally you hear at least grumble about something or other, but nothing with these. I just wish the forks didn't have such a high AtC, I'd look into getting one.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Options are always a good thing...if you are interested in Avy and air, you can have Craig mod up a DHX Air (in case you didn't know):
    Fox DHX 5.0Speed sensitive Damper Adjuster Kit
    Hey CZ, I've been debating having this mod done on my DHX 5.0 coil and was on the Avalanche site yesterday and noticed he's offering it for the DHX Air as well. Do you have any experience with how this mod feels on either shock.... especially the DHX Air?

I like the coil but never had any huge issue with the DHX air on the DT either.... so if Craig could solve the few issues I had with that SSD mod.... I might just go back to the air.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.

RideDirt
    This is making it hard for me as i dont know what shock to go with for my chili too lol ... I have never been a fan of an air shock and i love coil , but now you have all these air shocks that are doing so good.

I see the X fusion gets some crazy good reviews and then the CCDB air as well ..

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I've not heard a single bad thing about any X-fusion forks or shocks. Normally you hear at least grumble about something or other, but nothing with these. I just wish the forks didn't have such a high AtC, I'd look into getting one.
    Yea i have been doing some research and saw this as well .. For the same atc you can run a 180mm fork .. Been thinking about doing this myself to make the bike freeridish but im not %100 just yet.

mtbr member
    I've run my vengeance HLR and vector air on my Wildcard. Before that, it was on my old Rune. Before the air I had the coil version. I gotta say the ease of tuning and range of adjustments is one of the biggest benefits of Xfusion products. The rebound knob stopped working last month on my vector air. I sent it in and had it back in a couple weeks and it was good as new. Small price to pay for such a dialed in suspension. In fact, the guy I bought the Wildcard from commented how good the vector felt on the bike.

mtbr member
    How would this shock work on a Santa Cruz Nickel with a 200x57mm size?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast